GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 17:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4318
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 12:48
I wouldnt worry about your GPA unless its well below 3.0 in an easy major from an unknown school. Its easier to explain away a bad GPA from 4+ years ago, especially if you nailed the GMAT and have done well at work since graduating.
_________________
Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1322
Schools: Tuck
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 14:29
riverripper wrote:
I wouldnt worry about your GPA unless its well below 3.0 in an easy major from an unknown school. Its easier to explain away a bad GPA from 4+ years ago, especially if you nailed the GMAT and have done well at work since graduating.


I think a lot of people don't get what you're saying. It's not like you're applying to graduate school right after finishing your undergrad degree. Most people who apply for an MBA have ~5 years of work experience, some have graduate degrees.

If you've got a 3.3 GPA and your first year of undergrad was terrible, don't sweat it. It likely happened more than five years ago. Focus on what you've done SINCE.

RF
_________________
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 523
Schools: Harvard '11
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 15:18
riverripper wrote:
I wouldnt worry about your GPA unless its well below 3.0 in an easy major from an unknown school. Its easier to explain away a bad GPA from 4+ years ago, especially if you nailed the GMAT and have done well at work since graduating.


"nailing the GMAT" means something different at HBS today than it did four years ago. When the average is 720, you have to get a 770+ to really "nail the GMAT" and get a free pass for a bad GPA. GPA is a better measure of future success than the GMAT score is, because it represents data from 4 years, not 4 hours. A good GMAT can only compensate so much, right?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4318
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 15:27
msday86 wrote:
"nailing the GMAT" means something different at HBS today than it did four years ago. When the average is 720, you have to get a 770+ to really "nail the GMAT" and get a free pass for a bad GPA. GPA is a better measure of future success than the GMAT score is, because it represents data from 4 years, not 4 hours. A good GMAT can only compensate so much, right?


Yes you need a 740+ now to be safely above average at the top schools. However remember that average is an average for all people so it varies somewhat by demographics. Schools wont admit it but its pretty safe to assume that the Indians and many other Asian students help raise the average. Same with engineers who typically do very well. A 720 for some groups may definitely be considered nailing it while a 770 for others might be close to average.

See I disagree to a point on the GMAT vs GPA debate. I know many people who were very unfocused at 18-22 years old...did terrible in school not because of lack of ability but lack of focus and direction. However, a they hit their stride when they reach the working world and really excel. Also, for the average applicant its 4-5+ years ago, so it is not as good an indicator as a test taken 6 months ago on your abilities. Personally I would rather apply with a 750 and a 3.2 than a 3.75 and a 650. The GMAT is an equal measuring stick...sure it doesnt measure intelligence or abilities perfectly but neither do grades.

Besides, there is such a huge difference between the difficulty of getting a 3.5 at one school than another. I used this comparison in another thread...but it bears repeating, do you think that some electrical engineer from MIT with a 3.1 is going to be looked at as a lesser student than a sociology major from local State U with a 3.8. Definitely not, the difficulty of the major and the school will be taken into account.
_________________
Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2285
Schools: Darden
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 16:16
msday86 wrote:
"nailing the GMAT" means something different at HBS today than it did four years ago. When the average is 720, you have to get a 770+ to really "nail the GMAT" and get a free pass for a bad GPA. GPA is a better measure of future success than the GMAT score is, because it represents data from 4 years, not 4 hours. A good GMAT can only compensate so much, right?


I don't believe that is correct. I think multiple sources agree that GMAT score is a better predictor of success in business school than GPA, and specifically the quantitative section of the GMAT. I believe there was a quote in the Montauk book (quoting a Tuck Adcom if I recall) stating this; and I believe the GMAC website gives evidence of this as well.

Thile GPA and GMAT both contribute to the same part of an applicants profile, I believe that they reveal different things. Generally speaking, I think that GPA is more of a reflection of effort (especially over a period of time), while GMAT is more of a reflection of raw ability. I think a huge portion of college students believe that they could have gotten better grades in college if they had worked harder - not necessarily that they were smarter. Other differences are that everyone is tested (more or less) on the same material under similar conditions; and for most applicants the GMAT is a much more recent indicator than college GPA.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 848
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 17:14
I think Pelihu and River are on the right track here. The GMAC did some study to compare the first-year performance of B-school students with GMAT score and there's a pretty decent correlation between the two; even stronger than UGPA.

I also know that U.S. News, the most important rankings, weighs GMAT as 60% of the academics portion of their scoring, whereas GPA weigh in at only 35% of the academics portion of their scoring (the last 5% being selectivity, i.e. lower admittance rate). Point being, rankings hungry (UE and E) schools will probably forgive a low GPA moreso than a low GMAT.

Just a guess here, but I would think there are more sub 3.0 GPAs admitted at these schools than sub 620 GMATs.

...OR I'm lying to myself because I had a garbage UGPA and a good GMAT score :lol:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1486
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 18:21
From the Economist:

http://www.economist.com/business/globalexecutive/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10316110

"GISMA compared GMAT scores and GPAs (grade point averages) for GISMA's full-time MBA classes from 2003 to 2006 and found there to be “such a small connection between the two as to be insignificant.”

“For overall academic success other traits also play a major role, for example leadership ability, strategic thinking, marketing and communication skills, creativity and persuasiveness—none of which are assessed by the GMAT.”


Let's not obsess over how closely correlated the GMAT is to b-school GPA. All of us know that's only one of the metrics evaluated in the admissions committee's "holistic" review.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 848
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 19:19
We could go back and forth about this. Even GISMA said "The school did recognise that the GMAT was a reliable indicator when it came to the more quantitative subjects."

Plus, they only studied their own student for a few years. The GMAC gets results from multiple schools, which may or may not be more reliable. I guess you can take either with a grain of salt.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 523
Schools: Harvard '11
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 19:33
sonibubu wrote:
I think Pelihu and River are on the right track here. The GMAC did some study to compare the first-year performance of B-school students with GMAT score and there's a pretty decent correlation between the two; even stronger than UGPA.

I also know that U.S. News, the most important rankings, weighs GMAT as 60% of the academics portion of their scoring, whereas GPA weigh in at only 35% of the academics portion of their scoring (the last 5% being selectivity, i.e. lower admittance rate). Point being, rankings hungry (UE and E) schools will probably forgive a low GPA moreso than a low GMAT.

Just a guess here, but I would think there are more sub 3.0 GPAs admitted at these schools than sub 620 GMATs.

...OR I'm lying to myself because I had a garbage UGPA and a good GMAT score :lol:


All three of you may be right, but my point was that GPA is a better predictor of success 10 years post-MBA. A successful career, like a good UG GPA, takes long-term dedication and perseverance, not a 3-hr burst of genius.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Posts: 180
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 23:16
ill weigh on this. for one thing i had a 2.97 gpa, and have a 730 gmat.

first three semesters of college i had a 2.5 GPA. Quite frankly, i had no idea what i was doing, and got involved iwth a lot of stuff. As an engineer major, i was really overwhelmed with calculus, chemistry, etc. I remember just thinking that i was as smart as people getting A's, but had never taken Calculus in high school, and really lacked the study know how and focus to get it done. Further, quite honestly, motivation. I didnt go into college thinking 'i got to get best gpa possible for grad school'. i went in thinking 'im gonna have fun and have fun learning'

I think GPA is very delicately looked at, where as gmat is a hard score. gpa i think they look at alot for trends, did your gpa get better? most of us are applying at around 26. you think a school will ding you cause for 6 months, when you were 18, you didnt put in alot of effort into school? what an absurd notion that is.

i think they will ding you on gpa if you are way below the average and/or there is no evidence that once you corrected yourself on focus (and skill on how to study) there was not an improvement seen in some sense with the GPA.

There are of course the outlier semesters, where there may be F's and D's, which so long as a very reasonable explanation exists, it will be accepted.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 497
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 23:42
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2017, 23:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

HBS 2008 GPA/GMAT

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.