It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS Debate - Hype or Lasting Value?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
HBS Debate - Hype or Lasting Value? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 09:10
Where the HBS Learning Model Falls Short
A student ponders the HBS learning model and identifies strategic areas of opportunity on latest HARBUS
1) Weak link to the mission statement
2) Lack of higher order, intellectual discussion
3) Effect of Globalization
4) No interaction with Executive Education
5) One size fits all approach
6) Few opportunities to process what we learn

http://media.www.harbus.org/media/stora ... 3690.shtml


The Case Method: Hype or Lasting Value?
The Case Method's Lasting Influence Across Harvard

The Case Method has long been a unique selling point for Harvard Business School. Where did this method come from? How do other Harvard Graduate Schools use the Case Method and how to students perceive its benefits? This article attempts to answer some of these questions.

http://media.www.harbus.org/media/stora ... 3703.shtml

_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 216

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 2

Location: Evanston, IL
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
Re: HBS Debate - Hype or Lasting Value? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 11:11
First off, let me caveat this post by saying, I have never been to Harvard, only know a couple of people who have attended and DO NOT consider my self an expert of business education.

The first article brings up an interesting question. What constitutes a better business school? One that brings in the very best top performers from across the globe, puts them through the paces, brands HBS on their foreheads and them links them up with the very best companies. Or, one that brings in very capable students, puts them through an educational and transformational process teaching them how to think and be world leaders, then puts them in touch with many of the very same companies?

I think Harvard is a very good school, but how much of that is because they can cherry pick the people that they want (both professors and students). I've always heard, that the people that go to Harvard to get their MBAs don't really need to go to Harvard to be successful. If that's the case, one could argue that Harvard isn't really "doing" that much to make these people better business leaders.

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 48

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Schools: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Re: HBS Debate - Hype or Lasting Value? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2009, 09:44
I was just thinking about this the other day. Is HBS really influencing these cream of the crop type leaders? or just looking at their career trends, taking advantage of who they think has the greatest chance of becoming super successful in the near future and then writing HBS on their resumes?

The ability to cherry pick who attends to an extreme point (I think the attendance rate of accepted students is only second to S) gives them a clear advantage when it comes to having grads in leading positions all over the world.

So really, should you work that hard to get into B-school in the first place? besides the clear stamp of certification that comes with being admitted to a top school, there's not much of a reason for the quantum career jump you're supposed to experience after grad.

I think this may be partly a self fullfilling prophecy. i.e. HBS is great --> therefore a gazillion amazing ppl apply --> therefore their student pool is THAT much more qualified than at other schools --> therefore HBS is great. You get the idea.




domtri33 wrote:
First off, let me caveat this post by saying, I have never been to Harvard, only know a couple of people who have attended and DO NOT consider my self an expert of business education.

The first article brings up an interesting question. What constitutes a better business school? One that brings in the very best top performers from across the globe, puts them through the paces, brands HBS on their foreheads and them links them up with the very best companies. Or, one that brings in very capable students, puts them through an educational and transformational process teaching them how to think and be world leaders, then puts them in touch with many of the very same companies?

I think Harvard is a very good school, but how much of that is because they can cherry pick the people that they want (both professors and students). I've always heard, that the people that go to Harvard to get their MBAs don't really need to go to Harvard to be successful. If that's the case, one could argue that Harvard isn't really "doing" that much to make these people better business leaders.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 514

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton
Re: HBS Debate - Hype or Lasting Value? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2009, 10:07
On a related note, it'll be interesting to see how this move to go significantly younger will impact HBS's brand w/ recruiters. Many recruiters are looking for people with at least 3-5 years of experience, and my friend at HBS says there is growing frustration amongst recruiters that there are fewer and fewer of these people at HBS. It'll be interesting to see if recruiters begin to shift their focus towards other business schools that haven't made as dramatic a shift towards younger candidates or if recruiteres re-think their qualifications criteria related to HBS recruiting.

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: HBS Debate - Hype or Lasting Value? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2009, 10:22
It's a good question to ponder.

Right now the trend is to shift from mature applicants (traditional avg of 5+ yrs of WE @ matriculation) to younger applicants (avg of 2-3+ yrs of WE @ matriculation) in a lot of schools.

Main reason behind the moves?
1) Compete with law and med school for talented young applicants
2) To attract female applicants

However, if this trend backfires on the bschool - due to dissatisfaction from recruiters - I can see the trend reversing back to the original trend.

zoinnk wrote:
On a related note, it'll be interesting to see how this move to go significantly younger will impact HBS's brand w/ recruiters. Many recruiters are looking for people with at least 3-5 years of experience, and my friend at HBS says there is growing frustration amongst recruiters that there are fewer and fewer of these people at HBS. It'll be interesting to see if recruiters begin to shift their focus towards other business schools that haven't made as dramatic a shift towards younger candidates or if recruiteres re-think their qualifications criteria related to HBS recruiting.

_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 121

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS Debate - Hype or Lasting Value? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2009, 15:50
So is this "going younger" trend happening across the board?
If not, which schools are doing it more than others?

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: HBS Debate - Hype or Lasting Value? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2009, 16:00
cul3s wrote:
So is this "going younger" trend happening across the board?
If not, which schools are doing it more than others?


That depends on each school.

This article explains the trend in a way.

http://www.insidehighered.com/layout/se ... /09/17/mba
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Re: HBS Debate - Hype or Lasting Value?   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2009, 16:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

HBS Debate - Hype or Lasting Value?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.