It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS - Round 2 strategy [learnings from R1 applicants]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V38
GPA: 4
HBS - Round 2 strategy [learnings from R1 applicants] [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 00:49

Hello HBS applicants,

I am an R2 applicant for HBS, currently working on my application.

Starting this topic to learn from the experiences of R1 applicants, who got invited to interview and also who didn't. Looking out for some tips and lessons learnt during the application experience that can help R2 applicants!

Thanks in advance to all who can provide any kind of help. :)

Kudos!!

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 30

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.47
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Re: HBS - Round 2 strategy [learnings from R1 applicants] [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 12:49
My interview is in 2 weeks, and I just spotted a typo in my application :| Ah well.

Not sure if I really have any advice, but something I wish people had told me when I was working on my app is that don't let too many people to critique your essay. If you're working with a consultant or maybe a friend, definitely get their feedback as you go along, but there really is no need to ask too many people for advice. Everyone has their own narrative and their own way of expressing themselves, and while they have your best interest at heart, it is, at the end of the day, your own story, and even good advice can cloud your own sound judgment. Your way of crafting the narrative will show not just in the essay itself, but also eventually in your interview as well.

I would also read the essay out loud as well, and see whether you've written something you would actually say. The prompt, after all, is introduce yourself to your section mates, so I think rather than focus too much on the written rhetoric, focus on the content and delivering the true you instead.

Hope this helps :-D

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 13:18
I want to leap through the screen and hug Qianss because YES YES YES -- everything below is totally right on. Getting "advice" from tons of people is a huge mistake, because everyone wants to give you their take and they'll start contradicting each other and you'll be totally confused. Most people who haven't been through this process have a very incorrect idea of what b-schools are looking for and will steer you in the right direction.

I'm also a fan of writing in a conversational tone so that your voice and personality come through. You ARE supposed to be talking to your classmates and WILL read the essay out loud to them eventually if you get in. So... would you really want to come off like a bragging, egotistical you-know-what? No. You want to come off as someone who will be cool to hang out with outside of class... but also someone who they'll definitely learn from in class. Someone who's passionate about something -- but only you know what that is, I can't advise you on that.

Don't overthink it! And no need to put a ton of "Why HBS?" stuff in there -- they KNOW why you want to go there and have never asked that question in previous versions of their app.

Also, keep it relatively succinct... HBS values clear communication, not rambling.

Good luck!

qianss wrote:
My interview is in 2 weeks, and I just spotted a typo in my application :| Ah well.

Not sure if I really have any advice, but something I wish people had told me when I was working on my app is that don't let too many people to critique your essay. If you're working with a consultant or maybe a friend, definitely get their feedback as you go along, but there really is no need to ask too many people for advice. Everyone has their own narrative and their own way of expressing themselves, and while they have your best interest at heart, it is, at the end of the day, your own story, and even good advice can cloud your own sound judgment. Your way of crafting the narrative will show not just in the essay itself, but also eventually in your interview as well.

I would also read the essay out loud as well, and see whether you've written something you would actually say. The prompt, after all, is introduce yourself to your section mates, so I think rather than focus too much on the written rhetoric, focus on the content and delivering the true you instead.

Hope this helps :-D

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 14:36
Lie in your essays so they put you in an underrepresented bucket. :roll:

Awesome profile alone is not sufficient.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: HBS - Round 2 strategy [learnings from R1 applicants]   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2015, 14:36

HBS - Round 2 strategy [learnings from R1 applicants]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: ydmuley, OasisGC, aeropower, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap