GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 02:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Help! Beginner, suck at math and must take test April 2018

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Help! Beginner, suck at math and must take test April 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 06:37
Hi,

I'm currently trying to prep for the GMAT. I'm really bad at math and alot of the concepts I've forgotten and don't remember. I've registered with Magoosh to assist. I'm trying to tackle their 3-month plan being that I've scheduled to take the test April 2018 so that I can apply for priority deadlines at the schools of my interest but I'm finding it hard to follow that plan being that I work full time and am currenlty taking the last 6 credit hours for my undergraduate degree and I'm married with 4 kids. I'm super swamped! Considering this, I'm behind on their 3-month plan but I do not want to follow a 6 month plan being that I won't have time (if need be) to retest prior to the max deadline of July. If I take in April and do not like my score, I will have time to retest prior to the July final deadline. Can anyone help me? Offer any suggestions or strategies to help me better retain and study in order to do a good job considering my schedule and time frame left...tips and tricks....
Magoosh Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE: Design (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Help! Beginner, suck at math and must take test April 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 06:44
you may start with GMATclub's quant book. available here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-bo ... 30609.html

Rest is on how much u practice.

Help with kudos if u found the post useful. Thanks

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 11:21
nekiwa07 – A lot of people find it difficult to take time out to study for the GMAT. Having said that, I must say that you are in a particularly difficult situation.

First things first – something has to give. Studying for GMAT is a huge change in everyone’s life and to make time you need to make compromises, whether its reducing social commitments, or getting more take-out (cooking less), or spending less time with kids. So the first thing you need to do is “make time” and communicate the people who are/will be impacted. This is a very important conversation that you need to have.

Second – plan. Write down when you would do what. Its absolutely important that you do this. Things get etched in our memory and we are more determined to execute once your write things down. One more thing – keep your plan simple. For example, study for the GMAT for an hour at 6 am every day. If you have things planned, and it’s the same time every day, you won’t need to decide whether you need to study or not. The fewer decisions you need to make, the more likely you are to study. One last thing – only plan 80% of your available time. Never 100%. Why because some things always come up at the last moment and you may need the 20% cushion then.

Third – evaluate and iterate. Take time out every week to evaluate whether you are able to execute on your plan or not. Figure out the reasons and improve your plan iteratively.
I hope the above helps!!

Watch this success story of a student who improved to 730 despite working on Platforms - https://e-gmat.wistia.com/medias/c141257mpk
-Rajat

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Help! Beginner, suck at math and must take test April 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 11:28
Hey nekiwa07

First off, Welcome to GMATClub!

In my experience to score well in the Quant section you need to have a
good grasp on the concepts before beginning with practice

You could revise your concepts using the Quantitative Mega-Thread.
Once you have completed the concepts related to a topic, you should
practice questions pertaining to the concept.

For topic wise practice you could check out the links given below
PS : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-ps-ques ... 27957.html
DS : https://gmatclub.com/forum/ds-question- ... 28728.html

Every time you make a mistake, make a note of the learning associated
with the mistake. Read and re-read these notes from time to time to avoid
making these mistakes again.

Hope this helps you!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 07:31
thanks everyone!
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 09:36
nekiwa07 wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently trying to prep for the GMAT. I'm really bad at math and alot of the concepts I've forgotten and don't remember. I've registered with Magoosh to assist. I'm trying to tackle their 3-month plan being that I've scheduled to take the test April 2018 so that I can apply for priority deadlines at the schools of my interest but I'm finding it hard to follow that plan being that I work full time and am currenlty taking the last 6 credit hours for my undergraduate degree and I'm married with 4 kids. I'm super swamped! Considering this, I'm behind on their 3-month plan but I do not want to follow a 6 month plan being that I won't have time (if need be) to retest prior to the max deadline of July. If I take in April and do not like my score, I will have time to retest prior to the July final deadline. Can anyone help me? Offer any suggestions or strategies to help me better retain and study in order to do a good job considering my schedule and time frame left...tips and tricks....

Hi nekiwa07,

Your Choice for Magoosh is great. It's a great course and can really help you achieve your dream score. Also if you need any additional help for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Hope this helps. All the best!

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 01:14
nekiwa07 wrote:
Hi,

3 month is pretty enough time so you can start with Best comprehensive material

Best Books

1. Manhattan GMAT Quant Guides
2. Manhattan GMAT Verbal guides
or Aristotle Verbal Guide for CR critical reasoning bible is best book with 300+ pages of comprehensive Data

Strategies

Start with Quant, learn the concepts tested on GMAT. After learning, practice your learned section with timed practice. You can also take quizzes to meet the pace of GMAT. 1 Month for learning concepts and 15 days of practice and same with the verbal. When completed all the concepts learning and handsome practice. Take full length CATs, know your estimated score. Analyze the result with Correct/incorrect questions, pacing analysis trace your mistakes and learn from them, make an error log to know your mistakes in the previously attempted questions

Best Mocks

1. Official GMAC (50+50$)
2. Manhattan GMAT (49$)
3. GMAT Club Quant CATs
4. Veritas CATs (49$ but you can buy at 15-20$ During sale period)

Good Luck
Cheers :)

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 06:42
thanks everyone!!
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 10:11
looks like you have less time. do check GMAT club review before joining any pre-service.
Re: Help! Beginner, suck at math and must take test April 2018 &nbs [#permalink] 14 Feb 2018, 10:11

Help! Beginner, suck at math and must take test April 2018

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap