Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Darden v. Mcdonough ($$) v. Smith (full scholarship)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.92
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [2]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: HELP! Darden v. Mcdonough ($$) v. Smith (full scholarship) [#permalink]
Kudos
bb wrote:
Some hard numbers:
(Average Salary | Employment Rate | Probable Salary for the first 12 months after graduation (product of the two))
$101,604 | 58.5% | $59K - Smith
$114,744 | 67.9% | $78K - Mcdonough
$131,906 | 81.5% | $108K - Darden

Great way of putting decision into perspective with numbers.

One thing you should be aware of if is that multiplying average salary and employment rate may be misleading. I believe US News use salary at graduation and 3 months after graduation. The likelihood that the unemployed graduates will earn $0 in the long term is very low. The indicator is too dependent upon employment rate, especially at top tier schools. For example, Fuqua and Tuck have the highest employment and similarly high average salary on the most recent report. By this measure their expected salary would be the highest among all schools. However, this may not be true in the long run, since top schools that are located in the high cost of living areas typically have higher average salary.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I'll admit, I clicked on Darden before I even read you were married and living in DC. That said, I still vote for Darden, mainly because it's head-and-shoulders above the other two schools you got into. Yes, you won't have any scholarship $$ and double rent is a strain - but I think the long term value of a Darden MBA is worth it.

In terms of your personal life, it's not ideal, but doable. Darden's not that far from DC, and B-school lasts just 21 months and you're only on campus for 18 of them. If you were talking about a PhD program, then yeah, staying in DC would make sense, but since the MBA is such a sprint, I'd hate to see someone forfeit future opportunities for the short-term.

I gave similar thoughts to a guy here on choosing between UCLA and UCSD: ucsd-rady-half-tuition-vs-ucla-anderson-no-149708.html#p1202062
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.92
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Wow- thank you all so very much for your time and well thought out posts. Not coming from an MBA laden or family, everyone is giving me the side eye for even considering turning down a full ride or scholarship money. All of this makes me feel a lot better/gives me more data for my explanations to them (adding this to my bookmarks of "links to send my parents to explain why its ok to go into debt," :shock: ).

If I decide to stay in marketing, Georgetown has a very newly launched center (Georgetown Institute for Consumer Research) that is a draw/could help with career placement in the marketing analytics sector. Since it is so new, it is hard to tell how the relationships are developing with partners, but they do have fellowships for students that interest me. However, if I even think about pursuing consulting, Darden is superior by a landslide. A lot of firms that recruit at Smith and McDonough primarily do so for their federal sector consulting, which is not something I am interested in (my husband is in that field already). I also do not want to be a non-profit consultant quite yet. I feel strongly based on personal experience that spending time developing skills that are profit driven, not mission driven, helps one become a truly effective leader in the non-profit world.

In terms of long term (kid) questions; I am not one of those girls who says "I have to married and have kids by x age," but as I am a woman that has a limited time frame ( :roll: ), in the 5 years after school it is quite likely we will want to start a family (while I continue to lean in, of course).

Also, I suppose my spouse and I are a bit used to the MBA relationship lifestyle; he works relatively late/has client dinners a few nights a week and I am also am a dance teacher/ performer who has rehearsals and classes many nights and weekends. Staying in DC would just be the norm in terms of time spent together; Charlottesville would really only take away the late weeknights and add to some travel time on the weekend.

As you can see, I still am a bit torn and going to do some serious contemplating the next few weeks. I am planning on attending and bringing my husband to admit weekends in April for Georgetown and Darden so we can get a feel for both schools. Hopefully seeing both schools in action/meeting potential classmates will help make the decision much easier.

Thank you all again for your wise advice!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I live in DC too and the reason I didn't apply to Georgetown is that I'm in federal consulting right now and I want to escape. It seems like a ton of people end up in federal consulting out of the program so that just wasn't for me. I think it boils down to whether or not you want a national or regional brand. How tied down to DC are you for the next decade? Depending on what your husband's job function is, it might be difficult for him to find a comparable job elsewhere (I know this from firsthand experience!). If he has easily transferrable skills and wouldn't mind a change of scenery, Darden would make sense. The good thing about Darden is that you could recruit for consulting jobs and potentially be placed in a DC office and not work on federal projects. I think it's much harder to do that coming out of Georgetown (much harder for Smith, I'd assume). Your access to jobs at Darden is really head and shoulders above what they would be at Georgetown and if you want to make a complete career change I think going to Darden is your best bet.

Additionally, you can always get a roommate down in Charlottesville and the rent is a hell of a lot cheaper than it is in DC it wouldn't be terrrrrrible to have 2 rents.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Such an interesting post! Will appreciate if DC1629 can update her final decision and reasons! It will be helpful for other candidates who encounter the similar situations!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts