Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 01:23 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V34
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 717
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72894 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Help for verbal score improvement [#permalink]
Quote:
I gave my 1st attempt on 1st April 2023 and I got a 680 (Q51/V31) and my 2nd attempt on 13th May 2023 and ended up with a 700 (Q51/V34).

Consider getting the ESR. May give a sense what to work on. If you feel your fundamentals are solid, consider working on your solving approach. Perhaps work with a study buddy who has strong Verbal skills to see how they approach the questions/certain questions you struggle with. You could teach them Quant in return.

How to get a V40 or higher on the GMAT? What about a V51?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 780 Q59 V59
GRE 1: Q163 V162
Send PM
I understand that you're feeling demotivated and unsure about the next steps in your GMAT preparation. It's commendable that you have been dedicated to studying for the exam for seven months and have made progress with your scores. Let's explore some options to help you move forward.

First, it's important to acknowledge that the GMAT verbal section can be challenging and sometimes unpredictable. Your experience with varying scores in verbal is not uncommon. However, it's crucial to identify the areas where you need improvement to enhance your overall performance.

Considering your situation, seeking assistance from a private tutor can be beneficial. A tutor can provide personalized guidance, assess your strengths and weaknesses, and help you identify the specific areas where you may be going wrong. Their expertise can make a significant difference in refining your verbal skills and boosting your confidence.

Additionally, you can continue with your current practice approach of doing questions and reviewing them with error logs. This method allows you to track your progress and identify recurring mistakes, helping you focus on areas that require improvement. However, complementing this practice with the guidance of a tutor can provide valuable insights and strategies to overcome the challenges you're facing.

Remember to stay motivated and positive throughout the process. The GMAT is a demanding exam, and it's normal to encounter setbacks along the way. Use these experiences as learning opportunities and fuel to propel yourself forward.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Sibani.

One thing we have to do when preparing for GMAT Verbal is to be careful not to overemphasize learning about past Verbal questions. If we overemphasize learning about what the GMAT did in the past, we'll tend to score higher on the practice test, which are from the past, than on today's GMAT. So, be sure that, as you prepare for Verbal, you're learning generally applicable concepts and strategies that you can use to answer new Verbal questions as well as past ones.

Regarding your Verbal score fluctuating, that fluctuation is a sign that there are still gaps in your Verbal knowledge and skillset. So, you need to fill those gaps to achieve more consistent Verbal performance. To do so, you need to know how to prepare for Verbal optimally. So, reading the following post could be helpful because it discusses how exactly to prepare for GMAT Verbal for best results.

How to Score High on GMAT Verbal

Also, I bet you can get some key insights from the following video.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sibani0203,

First off, a 700/Q51 is an outstanding Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Programs that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to act on that advice, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Have you been studying consistently over the last 7 months? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used over the course of ALL of your studies? Have you taken any other CATs/mocks besides the 4 that you listed?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

From what you describe, it sounds as though you have purchased at least one Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you have purchased the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you (and you can feel free to PM or email it directly to me if you would rather not post it publicly).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sibani0203 wrote:
my 2nd attempt on 13th May 2023 and ended up with a 700 (Q51/V34). .
Its quite demotivating at this point.

Oh boy...you know Sibani, I understand every is different, but the hallowed 700 mark remains a dream for most students! Congratulations on touching it and congratulations for the outstanding Q51!

Anyway, since you mention SC as your specific area of concern, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

You can als go thru this post on how Soubhik, who scored V51 (overall score 780), vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22066 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sibani0203,

I do think working with a private tutor could be a good call. Have you decided to go down that path?
GMAT Club Bot