GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Help in including transcripts

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jul 2017
Posts: 81
Location: India
Schools: Duke '21 (WA)
Reviews Badge
Help in including transcripts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 06:12
1
Hi,

I need advice on transcripts for my business school applications. I have a slightly complicated education history. I am Indian - I went to a top 30 US school (think UCLA, NYU, CMU) and got a pretty good GPA. I started working right after graduating. However, I did not get my H1B. Thus, to stay in the US and work, I started taking grad-level finance classes (technically supposed to lead to an MS. in Finance) at this college in Delaware on the weekends. They had an employment credit system that let me work full-time. However, about 9 months later, I miraculously got my H1B and dropped out of those classes. So I got an F in my last class and my GPA took a real dip.

At first, I didn't even think to include this experience in my application as I mostly took the classes just to maintain my visa. But the more I think about it, the more I think I HAVE to include this experience AND the transcript, even though I didn't get a degree.

What do you guys think about including it? How is Adcoms going to view this? I am really nervous this, coupled with a lay off that I will explain in my additional essay, is really going to be an instant rejection everywhere :(
INSEAD Thread Master
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2032
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Help in including transcripts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 01:04
shah8 wrote:
Hi,

I need advice on transcripts for my business school applications. I have a slightly complicated education history. I am Indian - I went to a top 30 US school (think UCLA, NYU, CMU) and got a pretty good GPA. I started working right after graduating. However, I did not get my H1B. Thus, to stay in the US and work, I started taking grad-level finance classes (technically supposed to lead to an MS. in Finance) at this college in Delaware on the weekends. They had an employment credit system that let me work full-time. However, about 9 months later, I miraculously got my H1B and dropped out of those classes. So I got an F in my last class and my GPA took a real dip.

At first, I didn't even think to include this experience in my application as I mostly took the classes just to maintain my visa. But the more I think about it, the more I think I HAVE to include this experience AND the transcript, even though I didn't get a degree.

What do you guys think about including it? How is Adcoms going to view this? I am really nervous this, coupled with a lay off that I will explain in my additional essay, is really going to be an instant rejection everywhere :(


I don't think there's any reason you have to include it unless it impacts your overall narrative. Which does not seem to be the case.
You are not claiming any degree here so I say skip it.

Why do you believe you HAVE to report all transcripts? For the lay off, make it short and sweet, come off as confident despite this happening. They just want to know you can explain any gaps to a prospective employer without sweating buckets coming undone during an interview.

If you handle it as a minor casualty you bounced back from relatively easily, they will admire you for it.

You seem to perceive this process like PUNATIVE PARENT or something. Flip that around.

Your job is not to check all boxes or be perfect but to show what you can do, how you are unique, what contributions you can make to the program and community.

How you will be able to get a job and internship because you have focus and skill in talking to people.

Capiche?
_________________
Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jul 2017
Posts: 81
Location: India
Schools: Duke '21 (WA)
Reviews Badge
Help in including transcripts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 05:39
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
shah8 wrote:
Hi,

I need advice on transcripts for my business school applications. I have a slightly complicated education history. I am Indian - I went to a top 30 US school (think UCLA, NYU, CMU) and got a pretty good GPA. I started working right after graduating. However, I did not get my H1B. Thus, to stay in the US and work, I started taking grad-level finance classes (technically supposed to lead to an MS. in Finance) at this college in Delaware on the weekends. They had an employment credit system that let me work full-time. However, about 9 months later, I miraculously got my H1B and dropped out of those classes. So I got an F in my last class and my GPA took a real dip.

At first, I didn't even think to include this experience in my application as I mostly took the classes just to maintain my visa. But the more I think about it, the more I think I HAVE to include this experience AND the transcript, even though I didn't get a degree.

What do you guys think about including it? How is Adcoms going to view this? I am really nervous this, coupled with a lay off that I will explain in my additional essay, is really going to be an instant rejection everywhere :(


I don't think there's any reason you have to include it unless it impacts your overall narrative. Which does not seem to be the case.
You are not claiming any degree here so I say skip it.

Why do you believe you HAVE to report all transcripts? For the lay off, make it short and sweet, come off as confident despite this happening. They just want to know you can explain any gaps to a prospective employer without sweating buckets coming undone during an interview.

If you handle it as a minor casualty you bounced back from relatively easily, they will admire you for it.

You seem to perceive this process like PUNATIVE PARENT or something. Flip that around.

Your job is not to check all boxes or be perfect but to show what you can do, how you are unique, what contributions you can make to the program and community.

How you will be able to get a job and internship because you have focus and skill in talking to people.

Capiche?


Hi MBAPrepCoach,

First off, thank you SO much for your response. It actually made me feel a bit better. My question to you is this: Kellogg and Cornell, for example, have a transcript policy which states even non-degree courses transcripts must be included in your application. What would you say for my case here? I considered still omitting but I am nervous they can find out and think I was hiding something for the wrong reasons. Fuqua on the other hand, actually asks for all transcripts in the application itself. At least Kellogg and Cornell, you actually have to send it to the AdComs to attach to your file so there is still the opportunity to not attach the transcript. I am thinking maybe I should explain the schooling in the additional essay but not attach the transcript. If they want it, they can ask for it. What do you think?

Finally, I am really going to keep that 'change in mindset' advice in mind. I keep acting like this is a checkbox activity where they are hunting for my weaknesses, spending less time on my strengths which include interviewing and innovative problem-solving. I am thus, and not just for this reason, applying to Kellogg as they interview all students. I have just a 710 and a 3.78 GPA +layoff+ sickness but I think I will be able to show who I truly am in person and hopefully, that'll make the difference!
INSEAD Thread Master
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2032
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Help in including transcripts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 06:18
That completely sucks I was unaware of that policy. I've not worked with a client in this situation. Well I'm of two minds on this, I think the greater danger is you having a feeling of panic about this than the actual thing. So if that's the case then I think you might want to submit an email to Adcom with the exact same type of verbiage you had in this posting explaining that you were taking these classes to maintain your right stay in the country and work here. So that's as non-degree is it gets. On the other hand for these universities do they really have access to all of the transcripts in the universe? That seems pretty strange. And if they did I think it would be logical for you to say that you had interpreted the guideline to be related to your college days and not for this purpose. I actually would think about it in terms of how comfortable you would be omitting this information. How big is this problem in terms of your GPA? I imagine pretty serious because not many classes. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good to know for me and for my clients going forward.

http://mbaprepcoach.com
_________________
Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jul 2017
Posts: 81
Location: India
Schools: Duke '21 (WA)
Reviews Badge
Re: Help in including transcripts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 06:56
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
That completely sucks I was unaware of that policy. I've not worked with a client in this situation. Well I'm of two minds on this, I think the greater danger is you having a feeling of panic about this than the actual thing. So if that's the case then I think you might want to submit an email to Adcom with the exact same type of verbiage you had in this posting explaining that you were taking these classes to maintain your right stay in the country and work here. So that's as non-degree is it gets. On the other hand for these universities do they really have access to all of the transcripts in the universe? That seems pretty strange. And if they did I think it would be logical for you to say that you had interpreted the guideline to be related to your college days and not for this purpose. I actually would think about it in terms of how comfortable you would be omitting this information. How big is this problem in terms of your GPA? I imagine pretty serious because not many classes. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good to know for me and for my clients going forward.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Hi MBAPrepCoach,

Thanks so much for your quick response. Its a 2.8 GPA because I failed the last class. Its all so upsetting because I was juggling so much and literally had to leave the country to get my passport stamped and hence, could not make classes.

Anyway, I guess I will have to explain it in the Additional Essay and then just hope and pray.

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Dec 2016
Posts: 39
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3
Re: Help in including transcripts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 13:59
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
That completely sucks I was unaware of that policy. I've not worked with a client in this situation. Well I'm of two minds on this, I think the greater danger is you having a feeling of panic about this than the actual thing. So if that's the case then I think you might want to submit an email to Adcom with the exact same type of verbiage you had in this posting explaining that you were taking these classes to maintain your right stay in the country and work here. So that's as non-degree is it gets. On the other hand for these universities do they really have access to all of the transcripts in the universe? That seems pretty strange. And if they did I think it would be logical for you to say that you had interpreted the guideline to be related to your college days and not for this purpose. I actually would think about it in terms of how comfortable you would be omitting this information. How big is this problem in terms of your GPA? I imagine pretty serious because not many classes. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good to know for me and for my clients going forward.

http://mbaprepcoach.com



Hi MBAPrepCoach,

I am from India and i completed my undergrads in Engineering not from one of the Top-10 Colleges but from a Good Known Private College. My CGPA is 5.2/10 which as per university conversion chart converts to 60% marks. My GPA as per US standards converts to something around 2.4 if calculated from CGPA value, but using the convert 60% marks as standard it converts to 3.0.

Anyways, to cover-up for my academic shortcomings with GPA, I plan to take up some additional courses for additional transcripts. A few shortlisted by me are on Business Analytics & Product Management, as they relate to my MBA mission as well. I came across a couple of Instructor-Led courses by Boston University for these topics on edX.org

My concern here is that would these online courses and their credits be considered as valid additional transcripts and help me make up for my Undergrad GPA?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help in including transcripts   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2019, 13:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Help in including transcripts

  new topic post reply Update application status  


cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne