GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Feb 2019, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

February 15, 2019

February 15, 2019

10:00 PM EST

11:00 PM PST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT practice

February 15, 2019

February 15, 2019

10:00 PM EST

11:00 PM PST

Instead of wasting 3 months solving 5,000+ random GMAT questions, focus on just the 1,500 you need.

Help me out here guys for a score of 660 im stuck at 630.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Help me out here guys for a score of 660 im stuck at 630.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 20:03
I started on November 30 with starting score of 510 on GMAT prep test.

Yesterday i scored 630 in last GMAT prep test ( I used reset test in test 1)
(Q49,V27)

My test is on 28 january and i have 11 days left.

How to improve my verbal to 31-32 atleast to score a Target of 660?

Its just not getting up. beyond 27 in other free test of Manhattan,kaplan that i tried.

Any quick strategies?
Ive completed 50% of OG and other questions from different sources.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Help me out here guys for a score of 660 im stuck at 630.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 21:40
target660 wrote:
I started on November 30 with starting score of 510 on GMAT prep test.

Yesterday i scored 630 in last GMAT prep test ( I used reset test in test 1)
(Q49,V27)

My test is on 28 january and i have 11 days left.

How to improve my verbal to 31-32 atleast to score a Target of 660?

Its just not getting up. beyond 27 in other free test of Manhattan,kaplan that i tried.

Any quick strategies?
Ive completed 50% of OG and other questions from different sources.

Hey target660, This article might help. :)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-verbal-from-v30-to-v40-142361.html

Press +1 Kudo If my post helps!

VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 21:58
Since the time left is very limited, would suggest you continue focusing on solving official questions and basically getting familiar with the patterns. The jump you are looking for, is not very ambitious and is certainly doable.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 22:21
Hi target660,

It's been about 1.5 months since your last series of posts. You've clearly made some nice progress since then, but there might be an issue with this latest CAT result. Unfortunately, retaking a CAT that you've already taken often leads to seeing some 'repeat' questions - and that is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills. Seeing even a few repeat questions can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all be better than they normally would be). Thus, I'd like to know how you've scored on your other CATs and how you've been studying in general since the end of November:

1) What study materials have you used during that time?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? Which of these CATs have you taken more than once?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
Help me out here guys for a score of 660 im stuck at 630.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 04:59
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi target660,

It's been about 1.5 months since your last series of posts. You've clearly made some nice progress since then, but there might be an issue with this latest CAT result. Unfortunately, retaking a CAT that you've already taken often leads to seeing some 'repeat' questions - and that is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills. Seeing even a few repeat questions can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all be better than they normally would be). Thus, I'd like to know how you've scored on your other CATs and how you've been studying in general since the end of November:

1) What study materials have you used during that time?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? Which of these CATs have you taken more than once?

Rich

1-GMATprep-510
2-MGMAT-560 (Q42,V25)
4-Veritas-560 (Q42,V25)
5-Kaplan-600 (Q48,V25)
6-Gmat prep-610 (Q49,V25)
7-Gmat prep-640(Q49,V28)

in that order.
ive read manhattan guides, Gmat club grammar book, Gmat club math book,700-800 CR questions,Topicwise SC questions, and im currently doing OGs(50% done).
i purposely ticked wrong/haphazardly for the questions that ive already read before in gmat prep.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 11:54
Hi target660,

In a prior post, you stated that the January 29th deadline was for a job that you wanted - and that a minimum GMAT Score of 660 was required. I'd like to know a bit more about those parameters:

1) What if you don't score 660 or higher by that date - what happens then? What if you were to score 650?
2) Are there any later deadlines after the January 29th deadline? Does that job option simply "end" or will you have another chance for that job later on?

I ask these questions because you will likely need more than 11 days to get to the point that you can consistently score 660+. Since your most recent CAT Score was a 'retake', we cannot assume that it is an accurate assessment of your current skills (regardless of how you may have purposely "haphazardly" answered some of the questions). Assuming that you took your other CATs in a realistic fashion, then your current 'ability level' is likely closer to 600 (and you appear to be 'stuck' at V25) - and you would likely need at least another month of consistent, guided study to get to the point that you could consistently score 660+. There are certainly Tactics/patterns/concepts that you can learn to score higher in the Verbal section, but the limited timeframe that you're dealing with will almost certainly limit how well you could master any of those areas.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 20:21
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi target660,

In a prior post, you stated that the January 29th deadline was for a job that you wanted - and that a minimum GMAT Score of 660 was required. I'd like to know a bit more about those parameters:

1) What if you don't score 660 or higher by that date - what happens then? What if you were to score 650?
2) Are there any later deadlines after the January 29th deadline? Does that job option simply "end" or will you have another chance for that job later on?

I ask these questions because you will likely need more than 11 days to get to the point that you can consistently score 660+. Since your most recent CAT Score was a 'retake', we cannot assume that it is an accurate assessment of your current skills (regardless of how you may have purposely "haphazardly" answered some of the questions). Assuming that you took your other CATs in a realistic fashion, then your current 'ability level' is likely closer to 600 (and you appear to be 'stuck' at V25) - and you would likely need at least another month of consistent, guided study to get to the point that you could consistently score 660+. There are certainly Tactics/patterns/concepts that you can learn to score higher in the Verbal section, but the limited timeframe that you're dealing with will almost certainly limit how well you could master any of those areas.

Rich

Hey man!

The job option will just end if i couldn't score on 28th of Jan.
I am willing to put any amount of effort you ask me to.I just need a proper guidance/tactics/patterns/concepts i suppose.i'll want this badly.i'll invest time into it.

Plus to be honest 660 was for safe side.
i need 650 to qualify actually.But i don't think that will make much difference.

Help ASAP.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 20:54
Hi target660,

I've sent you a PM with some suggestions.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 18:21
Hi target660,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, I have good news and less-than-good news. The good news is that you 100% CAN improve your GMAT verbal skills. The bad news is that you probably will not be able to jump 4 points in the next 11 days. Keep in mind that since you repeated your latest practice test, you likely saw repeat questions, and thus your verbal score may have been artificially inflated. Would you be able to take your GMAT at a later date? In any case, I have some strategic advice that you can follow to improve your GMAT verbal skills. Let’s start with Critical Reasoning.

When studying Critical Reasoning, you need to ensure that you fully understand the essence of the various question types. Do you know the importance of an assumption within an argument? Can you easily spot a conclusion? Do you know how to resolve a paradox? Do you know how to properly evaluate cause and effect? Do you know how to properly weaken or strengthen an argument? These are just a few examples; you really need to take a deep dive into the individual Critical Reasoning topics to develop the necessary skills to properly attack any Critical Reasoning questions that you encounter. As you learn each problem type, do focused practice so that you can track your skill in answering each type. If, for example, you incorrectly answered a Weaken the Argument question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you read a paragraph, consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice, focus on the exact types of questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. You can perfect your reading strategy with a lot of practice, but keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be stimulating. So, to better prepare yourself to tackle such bland passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the Economist, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Sentence Correction is a bit of a different animal compared to Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning. There are three aspects to getting correct answers to GMAT Sentence Correction questions: what you know, such as grammar rules, what you see, such as violations of grammar rules and the logic of sentence structure, and what you do, such as carefully considering each answer choice in the context of the non-underlined portion of the sentence. To drive up your Sentence Correction score, you likely will have to work on all three of those aspects.

Regarding what you know, first and foremost, you MUST know your grammar rules. Let's be clear, though: GMAT Sentence Correction is not just a test of knowledge of grammar rules. The reason for learning grammar rules is so that you can determine what sentences convey and whether sentences are well-constructed. In fact, in many cases, incorrect answers to Sentence Correction questions are grammatically flawless. Thus, often your task is to use your knowledge of grammar rules to determine which answer choice creates the most logical sentence meaning and structure.

This determination of whether sentences are well-constructed and logical is the second aspect of finding correct answers to Sentence Correction questions, what you see. To develop this skill, you probably have to slow way down. You won't develop this skill by spending under two minutes per question. For a while, anyway, you have to spend time with each question, maybe even ten or fifteen minutes on one question sometimes, analyzing every answer choice until you see the details that you have to see in order to choose the correct answer. As you go through the answer choices, consider the meaning conveyed by each version of the sentence. Does the meaning make sense? Even if you can tell what the version is SUPPOSED to convey, does the version really convey that meaning? Is there a verb to go with the subject? Do all pronouns clearly refer to nouns? By slowing way down and looking for these details, you learn to see what you have to see in order to clearly understand which answer to a Sentence Correction question is correct.

There is only one correct answer to any Sentence Correction question, there are clear reasons why that choice is correct and the others are not, and those reasons are not that the correct version simply "sounds right." In fact, the correct version often sounds a little off at first. That correct answers may sound a little off is not surprising. If the correct answer were always the one that sounded right, then most people most of the time would get Sentence Correction questions correct, without really knowing why the wrong answers were wrong and the correct answers were correct. So, you have to go beyond choosing what "sounds right" and learn to clearly see the logical reasons why one choice is better than all of the others.

As for the third aspect of getting Sentence Correction questions correct, what you do, the main thing you have to do is be very careful. You have to make sure that you are truly considering the structures of sentences and the meanings conveyed rather than allowing yourself to be tricked into choosing trap answers that sound right but don't convey meanings that make sense. You also have to make sure that you put some real energy into finding the correct answers. Finding the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question may take bouncing from choice to choice repeatedly until you start to see the differences between the choices that make all choices wrong except for one. Often, when you first look at the choices, only one or two seem obviously incorrect. It may take time for you to see what you have to see. Getting the right answers takes a certain work ethic. You have to be determined to see the differences and to figure out the precise reasons that one choice is correct.

To improve what you do when you answer Sentence Correction questions, seek to become aware of how you are going about answering them. Are you being careful and looking for logic and details, or are you quickly eliminating choices that sound a little off and then choosing the best of the rest? If you choose an incorrect answer, consider what you did that resulted in your arriving at that answer and what you could do differently in order to arrive at correct answers more consistently. Furthermore, see how many questions you can get correct in a row as you practice. If you break your streak by missing one, consider what you could have done differently to extend your streak.

As with your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension regimens, after learning a particular Sentence Correction topic, engage in focused practice with 30 questions or more that involve that topic. As your skills improve, you will then want to practice with questions that test you on skills from multiple Sentence Correction topics.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help me out here guys for a score of 660 im stuck at 630.   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2019, 18:21

Help me out here guys for a score of 660 im stuck at 630.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap