Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Help to evaluate my Veritasprep Tests' score & improve it. [#permalink]
sahilverma wrote:
Thanks a ton Brian.... I must say, I just love the way you present the concepts in the VeritasPrep videos. I mean the way you harp on LOGIC more than any other thing, seems to be really helpful (No flattery :wink: but it has helped me...)

The articles, mentioned in your reply, gave a good insight as well.But i have a small doubt, if you could help me. On the last test that i took on April 13, I had last 15 questions right on the Verbal section, so even though each question does not account for same weight-age, but still wouldn't that have helped my Verbal score.

Thanks once again for your early & clear response.

Sahil

Adding to Brian's response. Yes, last 15 questions which you have got correct definitely would have played a role in getting you a higher score but as Brian pointed out number of questions you got correct is not the point, getting harder questions correct is the indicator.

If I have to share my experience, I took 4 mocks just like you from veritasPrep and I scored 710 (3 times) and 720 (1 time). In the actual test I scored 760.

Brian is very helpful person and do ask your doubts to him apart from mocks. Despite his busy schedule, he is always ready to help the aspirants.
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks, Kinji! And if I haven't said it before, congrats on that 760!

Sahil - really good point on getting the last 15 right. Couple thoughts there for you:

-We've been pretty fortunate to work with the former president of the International Association of Computer Adaptive Testing on our exams, and with a nod to the A/B/C parameters in that one article I can tell you that we have confirmation that the algorithm is doing what it's supposed to, even if it doesn't look like it to the naked eye at all times.

-In this case (I have your test up right now), missing 4 out of 5 from questions 16-20 hurt you, and then from that point on you had a good amount of catching up to do.

-I can also confirm from your test that the error margin at the end of that section is well within the acceptable error margin that the IACAT folks have set out, so it's a pretty valid score.

Now, what's tricky about really any non-GMAC practice test is that there's often a diminishing-impact effect as you get to the later questions, more so than on the official exam. I was just talking with a few instructors over coffee this morning about this. GMAC shifted around 2006-07 to more heavily emphasize "content balancing" (which categories of skills - algebra vs. applied word problems vs. probability, etc.) than just letting the algorithm always determine the best possible question for you based on CAT parameters. (For example, at question #6 the best possible question to serve you based on CAT parameters might be a Data Sufficiency algebra problem, but the system is controlled more by content so if it's programmed to give you a Problem Solving word problem, you'll get the best possible PS word problem at that point, not the best possible quant question overall)

The effect of that is that on the official exam you'll find that the last few questions matter a little more than they sometimes do on practice tests, which usually let the CAT algorithm run a little more freely. On a lot of practice tests, the higher-value questions get served early and so the later questions don't carry as much weight; because the official test is expertly content-balanced (and have a deeper pool of high-quality questions than most practice tests), the later questions are much more similarly weighted. The impact on your *overall score* shouldn't be much different, but you may find on practice tests that you don't get enough credit for getting the last 5 or so questions right, and even more detrimentally the last 5-10 questions are "more forgiving" (getting more of them wrong doesn't hurt your score as much as it will on test day). So as always, use practice tests to help you determine how to improve and to get a good feel for your score range, but try not to overanalyze the question-by-question metrics of the scoring algorithm. That's just energy that isn't really pointed in the right direction.

Anyway...with not too many days until your exam, that description is probably a little bit of overkill. Keep working on shoring up weaknesses and on verbal, particularly, I'd attack the problems in the GMAT Prep Question Pack and the OG (or just search by GMATPrep tag in the forums here).

Glad you're enjoying the videos and getting a good feel for using logic. Keep me posted and good luck with that impending test day!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank You so much Kinjal for your inputs and encouraging details.... Your results have really given me a new insight....

nd Thanks Brian......For your inputs as well as for taking pain to go thru my test.Yes I have observed this very thing that the last few questions on Veritasprep Tests doesn't affect my score- In one of my tests, I failed to answer 2 Quant questions (due to some internet connectivity error at my place), however, my score was the same as 48. Anyways, your inputs are a great help and I am working as smartly (lolzz) as I possibly can to break that 700 barrier. Lets c how things turn up on D Day... Will keep u posted for sure...

Regards
Sahil
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
My Veritas Test Prep Scores (all 7):
Mar 30:690 (48/37)
April 6: 680 (47/37)
April 9: 700 (49/37)
April 13: 720 (49/40)
April 18: 610 (43/31)
April 25: 590 (45/27)
April 29: 590 (43/28)

GMAT Exam Pack 1- exam 3:
April 28: 750 (49/42)... This is the second time I took it. The first time was exactly a year ago.

My score's all over the place! I'm not sure what to make of this.

The real one is 4 days away! :D
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [1]
Send PM