It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 15:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help! Took test twice, with opposing results - now take 3, any advice?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 32

Help! Took test twice, with opposing results - now take 3, any advice? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 19:02
Hi everyone,

I've loved this forum so much, thanks for all the helpful posts. I hate to make another post like this, but would REALLY appreciate some advice, as I'm truly at a loss now.

For starters, I'm naturally inclined in verbal, and struggle with quant.

I took the GMAT for the first time back in May 2017, with a 630 result (Q36, V40)

Resources used up until May 2017:
- OG 2015 (I took an MGMAT class in 2015, and wasn't ready at all - pushed and finally started studying Jan 2017, with renewed access to online materials, but still the old OG, as there wasn't much new in the 2016 edition)
- MGMAT CAT exams
- MGMAT books (have them all, went through most in detail)
- started taking lessons from a private tutor, but had not achieved as much progress in quant, hence the score.
- tried Target Test prep as well - loved it, but I think it was hard for me to truly devote enough time

I then resolved to improve my quant, and keep verbal. My aim at this point is a 700-710 - that's all I need as a baseline for my top schools. I have a good undergrad GPA, strong work experience, extracurriculars/volunteering/etc. It's just this test standing in my way!

Post May, I had some craziness going on at work, and decided I would use a break before getting back into it. Around July, started up my prep again, and started some sessions here and there with my tutor, though still a little busy. August, I switched jobs AND apartments, so definitely was a little busy as well.

I then purchased Magoosh in September, which was actually REALLY helpful in getting me to understand some basics (MGMAT I think doesn't 'dumb it down' enough for me sometimes, where with Magoosh I felt guided through the problems). Started really studying more hardcore across the board, doing as much as I could on weekends + after work (semi-regular schedule, though perhaps I could've been more disciplined?)

I also purchased 2 more tests from mba . com to use leading up to the test. Re-did test 1 and 2, did test 3 - have yet to use test 4.

Take 2: Today, Oct 20 - a devastating 610, BUT wildly opposite breakdown (Q44, V30) - the crazy part was, I had started the test with Verbal (as I've been doing in my practice tests, since I've always felt stronger in verbal) and thought I had been doing BETTER than the first time. Quant, I actually had to rush through the last 5 questions, and thought I had bombed it yet again. What an odd score to come out to....I was really hoping for a Q45, V42 breakdown, which would have led to a 710 :(

UPDATE: Just rescheduled for Nov 18, 2017!!

It's been so long, and I feel like I'm SO close to achieving my goal on this....but how should I structure my studying?? Given that it doesn't seem likely that a test date in Nov will open up, and I feel so confused/lost in how to structure prep.

PLEASE help, with any advice!! Much love, S #strugglingbutmotivated

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 32

Magoosh Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 419

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Help! Took test twice, with opposing results - now take 3, any advice? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
Well,
First of all, I don't think getting a Quant Score of 44 to 48 would be an impossible task. Regardless of your math level, you can get to that score with enough practice and perseverance.
The first thing you need to do is to work from the basic. Your brain should be trained to do some mental math so fast and error-free as if those mental maths are a cake walk. Once you learned the GMAT math, you can build upon it and will see the twist that comes with the questions.
I did the same. I downloaded the Manhattan GMAT mobile application and started to practice its math. Overall, 2000 questions that will help your brain processing speed and see the relationship between numbers and questions.
All of the above requires time and hard work.
If you have time, considering your already good Verbal score, a 430 should be easily achievable to you.
I am working toward that moment and number too.

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 419

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 747 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Help! Took test twice, with opposing results - now take 3, any advice? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 10:55
Hi sunny216,

I suppose the first crucial step is to understand exactly what went wrong
during the test and led to the decrease in the Verbal Score?

If I were you, I would order the ESR and find out exactly what the problem was.
Also since you are only a month away from your test, I would recommend
sticking to Official sources for your preparation.

You might want to purchase GMATPrep Exam Pack 2(Test 5 & 6) and Question Pack 1(400+ questions)
and solve them diligently and understand where you face problems. Make an error log and try not to
repeat your mistakes. An additional resource which in itself could help you boost your Quant score
is GMATClub tests(which IMO, are the best source to improve you Quant in a short time)

Hope that helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 747 [0], given: 19

1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Help! Took test twice, with opposing results - now take 3, any advice? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 06:27
This post received
KUDOS
sunny216 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've loved this forum so much, thanks for all the helpful posts. I hate to make another post like this, but would REALLY appreciate some advice, as I'm truly at a loss now.

For starters, I'm naturally inclined in verbal, and struggle with quant.

I took the GMAT for the first time back in May 2017, with a 630 result (Q36, V40)

Resources used up until May 2017:
- OG 2015 (I took an MGMAT class in 2015, and wasn't ready at all - pushed and finally started studying Jan 2017, with renewed access to online materials, but still the old OG, as there wasn't much new in the 2016 edition)
- MGMAT CAT exams
- MGMAT books (have them all, went through most in detail)
- started taking lessons from a private tutor, but had not achieved as much progress in quant, hence the score.
- tried Target Test prep as well - loved it, but I think it was hard for me to truly devote enough time

I then resolved to improve my quant, and keep verbal. My aim at this point is a 700-710 - that's all I need as a baseline for my top schools. I have a good undergrad GPA, strong work experience, extracurriculars/volunteering/etc. It's just this test standing in my way!

Post May, I had some craziness going on at work, and decided I would use a break before getting back into it. Around July, started up my prep again, and started some sessions here and there with my tutor, though still a little busy. August, I switched jobs AND apartments, so definitely was a little busy as well.

I then purchased Magoosh in September, which was actually REALLY helpful in getting me to understand some basics (MGMAT I think doesn't 'dumb it down' enough for me sometimes, where with Magoosh I felt guided through the problems). Started really studying more hardcore across the board, doing as much as I could on weekends + after work (semi-regular schedule, though perhaps I could've been more disciplined?)

I also purchased 2 more tests from mba . com to use leading up to the test. Re-did test 1 and 2, did test 3 - have yet to use test 4.

Take 2: Today, Oct 20 - a devastating 610, BUT wildly opposite breakdown (Q44, V30) - the crazy part was, I had started the test with Verbal (as I've been doing in my practice tests, since I've always felt stronger in verbal) and thought I had been doing BETTER than the first time. Quant, I actually had to rush through the last 5 questions, and thought I had bombed it yet again. What an odd score to come out to....I was really hoping for a Q45, V42 breakdown, which would have led to a 710 :(

UPDATE: Just rescheduled for Nov 18, 2017!!

It's been so long, and I feel like I'm SO close to achieving my goal on this....but how should I structure my studying?? Given that it doesn't seem likely that a test date in Nov will open up, and I feel so confused/lost in how to structure prep.

PLEASE help, with any advice!! Much love, S #strugglingbutmotivated

Hi sunny216,

The best thing to do would be to order an ESR of your exam.

Gauge what went wrong. Did you devote too much time in a particular section that you ran out of time/had to guess or did you lose focus?

Since you have achieved V40 once, I am assuming your level is consistent. Take couple of mocks and see if you are able to complete it on time and analyze weaker sections.

The exam, I feel, is now more tilted towards meaning than pure grammar rules. So keep that in mind when you eliminate choices.

All the best!

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 140

Help! Took test twice, with opposing results - now take 3, any advice?   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2017, 06:27

Help! Took test twice, with opposing results - now take 3, any advice?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap