Last visit was: 21 Jul 2024, 00:56 It is currently 21 Jul 2024, 00:56
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
User avatar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 11 Nov 2014
Posts: 263
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [12]
Given Kudos: 17
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
User avatar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 11 Nov 2014
Posts: 263
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Status:Emory Goizueta Alum
Posts: 3596
Own Kudos [?]: 5469 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Status:MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Posts: 3773
Own Kudos [?]: 1443 [2]
Given Kudos: 583
Location: United States
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Expert Reply
My technique is to go directly to the other choices and look at the differences, and only look above when you have a specific criteria for what you're trying to find.

I would look at the elements of each answer choice as far as parallelism, and the poster above is correct.

staunch Defender is only parallel to active opponent. All the other choices have something goofy around active opponent like actively opposing or something all jacked up. Must compare like terms only.

Just from that it's possible to eliminate all the other choices aside from A.

On a side note, I don't believe that you should automatically eliminate anything that has being in it.

I think that that has really shifted in the GMAT over the past five or ten years. I do see right answers with the word being in them

Always work grammar first, then idioms, and then style.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 3
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent of the Church when Pope Clement VII barred his attempts to divorce Katherine of Aragon.

Shouldn't the answer contain "a". I mean shouldn't it be Henry VIII changed from a staunch defender to an active opponent of the Churchfarrell Dyan Hehn
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 09 Apr 2016
Posts: 28
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 600
Send PM
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
katherinesaju9 wrote:
Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent of the Church when Pope Clement VII barred his attempts to divorce Katherine of Aragon.

Shouldn't the answer contain "a". I mean shouldn't it be Henry VIII changed from a staunch defender to an active opponent of the Churchfarrell Dyan Hehn



Had the same thought, but still went for A) because of idiom. Would be cool if someone could clarify, though.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Status:Active
Affiliations: NA
Posts: 188
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
AK125 wrote:
katherinesaju9 wrote:
Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent of the Church when Pope Clement VII barred his attempts to divorce Katherine of Aragon.

Shouldn't the answer contain "a". I mean shouldn't it be Henry VIII changed from a staunch defender to an active opponent of the Churchfarrell Dyan Hehn



Had the same thought, but still went for A) because of idiom. Would be cool if someone could clarify, though.



Hi,
staunch and active are a noun modifiers modifying defender and opponent , so the articles are not required.
Director
Director
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 525
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [2]
Given Kudos: 277
Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Understand the meaning first.

Henry changed from something to something else.

The correct idiom that shows this transition is 'from x to y'.

'being' is used in two cases according to an article presented by e-gmat team.
1) If used as a noun
2) If used as part of the verb

In this sentence it plays neither of the two roles.

A is correct as it is.
Director
Director
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 525
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
Will this option be correct?

from being a staunch defender to being an active opponent of the church

Which option will be preferred A or E (changed)?


abhimahna
It would be great if you could answer this query.
Board of Directors
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Status:Emory Goizueta Alum
Posts: 3596
Own Kudos [?]: 5469 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:
Will this option be correct?

from being a staunch defender to being an active opponent of the church

Which option will be preferred A or E (changed)?


abhimahna
It would be great if you could answer this query.


As such I could not find much difference between the two except that your E is emphasizing the two roles.

First of all, GMAT will never test between these two options.

Secondly, If you ask my personal opinion out of A and B , I will love to go for A as I hate "being". :lol:
Director
Director
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 525
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
abhimahna wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:
Will this option be correct?

from being a staunch defender to being an active opponent of the church

Which option will be preferred A or E (changed)?


abhimahna
It would be great if you could answer this query.


As such I could not find much difference between the two except that your E is emphasizing the two roles.

First of all, GMAT will never test between these two options.

Secondly, If you ask my personal opinion out of A and B , I will love to go for A as I hate "being". :lol:


If E now emphasizes the roles, does that make it incorrect as we are talking about the two roles?

And yes 'being' creates some confusion. :)
Board of Directors
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Status:Emory Goizueta Alum
Posts: 3596
Own Kudos [?]: 5469 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:

If E now emphasizes the roles, does that make it incorrect as we are talking about the two roles?

And yes 'being' creates some confusion. :)


No, I never said your E is incorrect. I meant that's the difference between A and your E.

But this scenario will never happen on GMAT. So, don't worry. :)
Director
Director
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 525
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
abhimahna wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:

If E now emphasizes the roles, does that make it incorrect as we are talking about the two roles?

And yes 'being' creates some confusion. :)


No, I never said your E is incorrect. I meant that's the difference between A and your E.

But this scenario will never happen on GMAT. So, don't worry. :)


Thanks for your reply. Actually I meant to say that does this role emphasis creates any changes in meaning? Because if it does, its hard to find.
Board of Directors
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Status:Emory Goizueta Alum
Posts: 3596
Own Kudos [?]: 5469 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Actually I meant to say that does this role emphasis creates any changes in meaning? Because if it does, its hard to find.


yes, that could be a point. We can reject E saying it is changing the original meaning. Good Point. :)
Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 240
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
Could anyone please explain why option E is incorrect?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Posts: 4918
Own Kudos [?]: 7807 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Location: India
Send PM
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
Here, Option A seems to be parallel and error free. So let’s hold on to that while we scan the options:

Option B – flouts parallelism. Eliminate.
Option C – Same as B. Does not observe parallelism. Eliminate.
Option D – Not parallel. Eliminate.
Option E – uses ‘being’ which only makes this option wordier and less concise than option A. Eliminate.

Option A is the best choice.


Hope this helps!
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 17524
Own Kudos [?]: 869 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Henry VIII changed from staunch defender to active opponent [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6990 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts