GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Herbalist: Many of my customers find that their physical coordination

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Herbalist: Many of my customers find that their physical coordination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 13:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:04) correct 24% (01:28) wrong based on 95 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Herbalist: Many of my customers find that their physical coordination improves after drinking juice containing certain herbs. A few doctors assert that the herbs are potentially harmful, but doctors are always trying to maintain a monopoly over medical therapies. So there is no reason not to try my herb juice.

The reasoning in the herbalist’s argument is flawed because the argument

A- Attempts to force acceptance of a claim by inducing fear of the consequences of rejecting that claim
B- Bases a conclusion on claims that are inconsistent with each other
C- Rejects a claim by attacking the proponents of the claim rather than addressing the claim itself
D- Relies on evidence presented in terms that presuppose the truth of the claim for which the evidence is offered.
E- Mistakes the observation that one thing happens after another for proof that the second thing is the result of the first.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Herbalist: Many of my customers find that their physical coordination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 09:42
I really need more examples to understand the options. Everything stated in verbal GMAT is so unclear to me
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: Herbalist: Many of my customers find that their physical coordination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 22:48
Top Contributor
let us simplify the argument given here --

Premise
1. many customers found that their physical coordination improves after drinking herb juice
2. a few doctors assert that herbs are potentially harmful
3. BUT doctors are always trying to maintain a monopoly over medical therapies

Conclusion
No reason not to try the herb juice

Note that the argument rejects point #2 in the premise by attacking the "source" of the argument and not by attacking the argument itself. This is a classic flaw in reasoning.

Option A - Incorrect

The author does not try to induce "fear of consequences" of his claim. Incorrect.

Option B - Incorrect

None of the three points mentioned in the premise contradict each other. Incorrect

Option C - Correct answer

Correct answer. This answer states that the author establishes his claim by attacking doctors by stating that the doctors are not trustworthy. Hence, the claims they make are also not trustworthy. However, the argument does not evaluate the claim itself.

Option D - Incorrect

this suggests that the argument employs circular reasoning. I.e. Premise = conclusion.
This is not done here.

Option E - Incorrect

One thing happens after the other is not mentioned here.

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Re: Herbalist: Many of my customers find that their physical coordination &nbs [#permalink] 16 May 2017, 22:48

Herbalist: Many of my customers find that their physical coordination

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap