It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 05:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

High GMAT / low GPA -- which schools love them & which schools don't?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 15

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GRE 1: 326 Q161 V165
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
High GMAT / low GPA -- which schools love them & which schools don't? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 19:28
This post received
KUDOS
We did an analysis of accepted/rejected applications & looked at how "splitters" fared--that is, people with much higher GMATs than GPAs, or vice versa. The data isn't good enough for the results to be conclusive, but at the very least it should give all you low-GPA folks aiming for top GMAT marks something to consider :)

Here's a few charts, but you can read more in our coverage of clear admit livewire data

A "splitter score" is basically your GMAT percentile minus your GPA percentile (that is: the percentile rank across all applicants for that school). So, for example, if the box on the left is high, the school took a lot of high-GMAT/low GPAs.

former HBS (M), building a new way to evaluate & hire MBA admissions consultants @ https://www.admitbrain.com/

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 15

BSchool Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
Schools: Broad '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: High GMAT / low GPA -- which schools love them & which schools don't? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 06:51
My question here, is how would one differentiate between somebody with 20% gmat and gpa, or 90% gmat and gpa? Both of which are neutral split, but a world apart in terms of application strength. Or 80/100 vs 20/40 etc?

How is this difference displayed in the graph? Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong, but I feel like without that there isn't much value.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 15

Re: High GMAT / low GPA -- which schools love them & which schools don't? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 09:14
cxa0897 wrote:
how would one differentiate between somebody with 20% gmat and gpa, or 90% gmat and gpa? Both of which are neutral split, but a world apart in terms of application strength. Or 80/100 vs 20/40 etc?

How is this difference displayed in the graph?

Good catch--you're hitting at one of the big challenges of data like this :)

There's no direct indication of the GPA/GMAT on the chart, but in general we can make some assumptions given the avg #s for those schools.

One assumption is important I think here: that "splitters" are randomly distributed throughout the GMAT/GPA curve. If, for example, all splitters were 20/40% like you mention, the chart would be pretty misleading.

But since the chart's split into accept / denies, and the schools publish their ranges, I think it's reasonable to assume that most admits are high on both %s, or _very_ high on one and so-so on the other. An applicant who was low on both would probably be rejected.

Another assumption that could save us here is: the distribution of splitters at one school looks more/less like the distribution at other schools. This would mean that, for the purposes of comparing schools, the effects of what u describe would be minimal.

We're playing w/ diff't ways to display the data though, so thinking through stuff like this is really useful for us--so thanks for taking a second to share your thoughts here

former HBS (M), building a new way to evaluate & hire MBA admissions consultants @ https://www.admitbrain.com/

BSchool Thread Master
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 09:33
afabmp wrote:
cxa0897 wrote:
how would one differentiate between somebody with 20% gmat and gpa, or 90% gmat and gpa? Both of which are neutral split, but a world apart in terms of application strength. Or 80/100 vs 20/40 etc?

How is this difference displayed in the graph?

Good catch--you're hitting at one of the big challenges of data like this :)

There's no direct indication of the GPA/GMAT on the chart, but in general we can make some assumptions given the avg #s for those schools.

One assumption is important I think here: that "splitters" are randomly distributed throughout the GMAT/GPA curve. If, for example, all splitters were 20/40% like you mention, the chart would be pretty misleading.

But since the chart's split into accept / denies, and the schools publish their ranges, I think it's reasonable to assume that most admits are high on both %s, or _very_ high on one and so-so on the other. An applicant who was low on both would probably be rejected.

Another assumption that could save us here is: the distribution of splitters at one school looks more/less like the distribution at other schools. This would mean that, for the purposes of comparing schools, the effects of what u describe would be minimal.

We're playing w/ diff't ways to display the data though, so thinking through stuff like this is really useful for us--so thanks for taking a second to share your thoughts here

I'm not so sure it is a safe assumption that the distribution is even, unless you have experience with that? I'd imagine far more people are going to be near the median of both and more high gmat/low gpa splitters. GPA is "relatively" constant across the the top schools but gmat has a pretty solid correlation with rank. I think more people would be using the GMAT as an alignment tool than the other way around.

Going back to the splitters, could you plot by sum of percentiles, 0-200, to show a little insight into this? If nothing else it would make a nice complimentary sheet and indicate to some extent a "minimum threshold". You certainly wouldn't want to be in that lower quarter without an x factor.

It's definitely a challenge to quantify this stuff, especially given the value of the interview, resume, etc in the process. If it were undergrad with 1000's of students coming in it and acceptance primarily based on numbers it would be a breeze. Dealing with just a few hundred people from such a range of experiences though, not so much...

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 10:14
cxa0897 wrote:
afabmp wrote:
cxa0897 wrote:
Going back to the splitters, could you plot by sum of percentiles, 0-200, to show a little insight into this? If nothing else it would make a nice complimentary sheet and indicate to some extent a "minimum threshold". You certainly wouldn't want to be in that lower quarter without an x factor.

Oh so like a distribution of (GMAT% + GPA%), do you mean? good idea, i hadn't thought about that

BSchool Thread Master
S

Reviews Badge
High GMAT / low GPA -- which schools love them & which schools don't? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 10:28
afabmp wrote:
Oh so like a distribution of (GMAT% + GPA%), do you mean? good idea, i hadn't thought about that

Exactly. You could do a simple plot of acceptance rates based on a that sum, or a distribution of the totals for accepted and rejected groups. Break it into intervals of 20 from 0-200 or something. I don't know how much data you are working with to know how noisy it would be, but I would certainly be curious to see that plot.

High GMAT / low GPA -- which schools love them & which schools don't?   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2017, 10:28

High GMAT / low GPA -- which schools love them & which schools don't?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap