Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Update:

Deadlines for many schools are coming soon and I would like to reduce the stress level of as many GMAT Club members as possible. If you have any questions about your review, even a simple status question, please send me a PM.

Please note that while I sincerely wish to help eveyone as much as possible, this is a free service so I cannot commit the time to send reminders to applicants regarding revised essays.

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
An Overview of the Review Process

In the usual engagement, we proceed in a series of rounds.

1) You send me Essay 1 (including the prompt)

2) I review Essay 1 and send you my comments

3) You read my comments, revise in light of the comments, and re-send Essay 1 to me

4) I read the revised essay, write additional comments and return to you

This process goes can go on for a few more rounds depending on the time constraints. We then go on to the next essay and repeat.

This can be a very time consuming process - the essays for just one school can take hours to write and revise.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
question for hjort [#permalink]
Iam greatly impressed by your insight.
Two questions - are u accepting essays now, and what is a PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A GREAT SERVICE FOR FREE ! [#permalink]
Dear GMAT Club MBA applicants,

I just want to share with you all that I have been the most fortunate beneficiary of HJort's essay review services and why I think you should consider Hjort's Offer (surely you will too greatly benefit).

I made it into my dream school in Chicago only, and I mean it , ONLY because of the IMMENSE HELP I got from Hjort.
My app story really came down to my essays given that I dont have an outstanding gmat score.

Hjort and I then went through an iterative process till I felt comfortable that my message was crisp, well structured and grammatically correct.

During the process, Hjort was extremely patient as though he (or she?) was being paid to be patient ! He reads your essays so many times over even after you start getting bored reading your own essays. I was also amazed by his prompt responses. Lot of these other services promise at least 24 hr turnarounds and charge crazy amounts of money. Here is one service where you can get responses in 2 to 4 minutes (no exaggeration) for FREE.
Here is a service that gives you a fresh perspective (since Hjort most likely does not know you personally) and a strong critique for FREE.

Hjort will not write the essay for you but actually makes you think harder and forces you to make your message better. The great thing is you will get the confidence that Hjort is there to give you the feedback and let you know if you are answering the essay question or just rambling. At the same time, you will know that you truly wrote your own essay and not somebody else, so you will feel proud of the end product.

To some one like me, who knows nobody who has a good command of language and can give good critiques of my writing style and whether I am able to stay on the message, Hjort's service is a great boon, a blessing really.

Anybody reading Hjort's messages in this forum will agree that he has a great command of the language so I was automatically wanting his review. (His feedback points many times reminded me of the correct grammer I should've learnt to have had a better gmat score in the first place !) Where on earth do you get such personalized service, dedicating so much time to your essays, reading about your life and why you want an mba so many many times over and get a TOP-NOTCH feedback at SUPEREME QUALITY and FOR FREEEE??
Answer: Hjort's Services. Be wise and use these services.

HJORT - THANK YOU for what you have done for me and are doing for this super club.

From a really grateful beneficary of Hjort's service
Nash
(and I dont know who Hjort is - is this a man , woman , machine, angel, company, essay writing school...! no clue)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bookmarks
Thanks to your fellow GMAT Club members finishing their apps, I can now accept more essays.

Hjort

I would also like to address a few misconceptions about the essay review process.

1) Will you write my essay for me?
No.
Regardless, "commissioned" essays often suffer from a rather transparent, manufactured feel.

2) Will you re-write my essay for me?
No, see 1) above.

3) OK then what role do you play in reviewing essays?

Some people have jokingly referred to me as an "admissions therapist." We will engage in a conversation or dialogue about your essays. You can expect me to ask numerous questions to clarify your goals and objectives. I will read your essays with an open mind and present my impressions and comments to you. I will state what I feel is unclear, vague, misleading, or confusing. I will point out questionable statements or assertions that are likely to annoy readers. I will call your attention to questionable punctuation or word usage.

4) I do not want my essay reviewed since this will hinder the expression of my creativity . . .

Even the most creative essay should be checked for grammar, spelling, and syntax. Further, the best reviewers will not impose their views of what the "right" essay should be on you but will facilitate your process of self-expression. In addition, I have also found that some applicants fail to account for the fact that there are thousands of other applicants searching for creative interpretations of questions. Often what strikes one applicant as a novel approach is relatively common.

5) Are you a "strategic" reader or a "tactical" reader?
Both. Like so many dichotomies, I find this one to be overstated.
Some people draw a distinction between reviewing styles. Strategic readers supposedly look at the "big picture" of the essay while tactical readers are more concerned with technical issues. I consider the content of each essay carefully and will make comments regarding my opinion of how the essay addresses the question and the applicant’s goals. As I will stress repeatedly, these are my carefully considered opinions but in no way does that make my opinions "correct" in any grand sense. I will also painstakingly review the individual components (i.e. words and phrases) that make up your essay. While this process can be time-consuming and mentally exhausting, it is crucial to remember that even the best-crafted essay can be robbed of its persuasive intensity by unprofessional errors in spelling, grammar, and word usage.

Originally posted by Hjort on 24 Nov 2005, 15:22.
Last edited by Hjort on 24 Nov 2005, 16:35, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great job Hjort! Two thumbs up for you and a privilege having you with the team! :woohoo
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
First, I am happy to say that I am a beneficiary of this wonderful offer. I am just thinking what to say because saying 'Thank You' is too small compared to what Hjort has done to me and to so many of us here. My essays are so much better after his review and I am sure, the difference b/w 'my application' and 'my STRONGer application' is Hjort's review. I just sent out my application and I am positive it couldn't have been any better.

I repeat word for word what Nashdkon has said above. Here are a few points I wish to share with you all -
1. All of us have seen this. Hjort's command of the Englist language is excellent.
2. You can get the perfect critique of your essays. If they look bad, you'll hear it!
3. He makes you think and helps you bring more structure, focus and all the good elements to the essay. He shows you the right path. You walk it!
4. He is extremely thorough (reads every word - even those we miss!) and gives a clear feedback.

Hjort is the treasure of GMATClub. Best thing is, the treasure is open and is there for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks a ton, Hjort! for all your help. It's unbelievable!!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
wow..
i just started doing research on GMAT, to tell you the truth this whole MBA,MS prepare process is an overwhelming tast for me.
i feel so lucky to come across to this forum and read posts like yours!!
Please keep up the good work !
i really appriciate all the information you have posted and help you are providing !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks to Hjort [#permalink]
I was apprehensive as I sent my essays to Hjort (motives ??) but I am glad that I did.

Hjort was not only very kind to proof read the dribble that I had conjured in the name of essay writing but also broke it down (logically), analyzed it and gave me a very very insightful comments.

While my essays are still under work, I am glad that I approached him at the time that I did (after 2/3 revisions). Through his criticisms I will be able to guide my further revisions in the right direction.

I was taken by his commitment and gentleness. He looked at the essays at almost unhuman hours and pointed out even the most glaring flaws with an apologetic tone.

Thanks Hjort - I am truly grateful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How can I submit my essay to Hjort? [#permalink]
Hi Hjort,

If you still have capacity for more essay reviews, would you mind if I send you my essay soon? I have drafted it and really need help in seeing if the story is convincing and impressive.

If you don't mind, please let me know how I can send it to you? You can also write to my personal email, rachada@gmail.com.

Thanks so much.
gmatbangkok
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thank you Hjort [#permalink]
Dear All,
I just wanted to share my essay experience with you all and ofcourse thank Hjort for his tremendous effort and help.

Having to apply to three schools in quick succession meant that Hjort was bombarded with different versions of different essays. Not once, did he complain or delay any of his responses. There were times when he had suggested changes and I hadnt incorporated them due to time crunches. Hjort would still go over the entire essay and pretend to be as it if were the first time he was reading it. Truly, his advice and suggestions were an eye opener in many an essay. I still remember one essay on my accomplishments for INSEAD, it was so lacklustre that I didnt want to have a second look. Hjort's suggestions helped me turn around the essay overnight.

For all aspiring applicants, please do run through your essays with Hjort. If you miss out on his advice, you truly will miss an expert opinion.

Thank you Hjort! You are a great guy, and I realy appreciate the fact that you are taking your personal time off to help others. Hats off to you!!

Skanda
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear GMAT Club Members,

Hjort's Offer is oversubscribed again. I have tried to accommodate as many essays as possible but I am afraid we have reached the upper limit as the deadlines for Round 2 approach.

Best,

Hjort
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
Re: Hjort's Offer [#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
Finally the grand question: Why do you offer these services for free?

Some questions are best left as mysteries . . .(on a similar subject, see the great Greco-Roman myth Eros and Psyche).

let me take this one this time. :cool
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort's Offer has opened again!

Yes, Hjort's Offer is open again but with a change. While I have enjoyed helping GMAT Club members, reading so many essays takes an extraordinary amount of time (more than 10hrs/week). Thus, I have decided to make the review process more interactive with tools such as Skype.

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
In the last couple of days, I have been the lucky recipient of much good news from those who took Hjort's Offer- one elite school in particular seems to have smiled on this talented group. I would love to learn the outcome of all of your hard work and how I can best help others in the future. Accordingly, I invite you to send me a PM describing your status at each school in your portfolio (accepted, waitlisted, etc.). Of course, I am very interested in helping you decide which school that accepted you is the best match for your goals, if that would be be helpful to you.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm really amazed at the wonderful job that you have been doing for all the applicants.

Hats off to that humongous effort !!

I would like to know whether your services are open for Early Decision and/or Round 1 for Fall'07

When can I PM you regarding the same?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Hjort

I think everyone really appreciates your offer especially considering that having someone with your experience review it definitely adds value to the application.

Thanks and best regards,
Chirag
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3