GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 21:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

hopefully

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
hopefully  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2013, 15:52
fameatop wrote:
I want to when is it correct or incorrect to use "Hopefully" and in which ways the adverb "Hopefully" is tested on GMAT.
I have attached below few examples & want to want why a particular option is correct or incorrect.

They listened hopefully for the sound of the rescue party.
Hopefully, they will come in time.
I hope they will come in time.

Fame,
The adverb "hopefully" means "with hope, with a quality of hope."

Your first sentence is an extremely rare example of a 100% correct use of the word "hopefully":
In other words, they listened with a sense of hope --- that's actually what the word means.

The second sentence is a classic example of the common misuse of the word
Hopefully, they will come in time. :-(
In almost all uses in colloquial speech, folks misuse "hopefully" as a substitute for "I hope that ..." This is grammatically and logically incorrect. What folks are trying to say is something along the lines of your third sentence, "I hope they will come in time," which is perfectly correct.

In a way, you could say that the word "hopefully" is a sort of abbreviation for a short phrase --- "I hopefully say that they will come in time" --- but of course, that's over-the-top stilted, so no one would say that anymore.

The GMAT does not test this issue. I would just caution about the larger context. Of course, the reason the GMAT tests SC is because, in the business world, good writing conveys, "I'm intelligent; I'm competent; you can trust me", whereas poor grammar conveys, "I'm not bright; if you give me money, I may do stupid things with it." In this regard, I would recommend avoiding the word "hopefully" in all your writing, unless you have a rare occasion to use it in a correct context, as in your first sentence.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: hopefully  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 22:11
mikemcgarry wrote:
fameatop wrote:
I want to when is it correct or incorrect to use "Hopefully" and in which ways the adverb "Hopefully" is tested on GMAT.
I have attached below few examples & want to want why a particular option is correct or incorrect.

Hopefully, they will come in time.
I hope they will come in time.

Fame,
The adverb "hopefully" means "with hope, with a quality of hope."

Your first sentence is an extremely rare example of a 100% correct use of the word "hopefully":
In other words, they listened with a sense of hope --- that's actually what the word means.

The second sentence is a classic example of the common misuse of the word
Hopefully, they will come in time. :-(
In almost all uses in colloquial speech, folks misuse "hopefully" as a substitute for "I hope that ..." This is grammatically and logically incorrect. What folks are trying to say is something along the lines of your third sentence, "I hope they will come in time," which is perfectly correct.

In a way, you could say that the word "hopefully" is a sort of abbreviation for a short phrase --- "I hopefully say that they will come in time" --- but of course, that's over-the-top stilted, so no one would say that anymore.

The GMAT does not test this issue. I would just caution about the larger context. Of course, the reason the GMAT tests SC is because, in the business world, good writing conveys, "I'm intelligent; I'm competent; you can trust me", whereas poor grammar conveys, "I'm not bright; if you give me money, I may do stupid things with it." In this regard, I would recommend avoiding the word "hopefully" in all your writing, unless you have a rare occasion to use it in a correct context, as in your first sentence.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi Mike,

Are there other such examples of weird/ illogical adverbs, similar to "hopefully", which i need to be aware of on gmat ? Please guide further reading if required.

Thanks,
Azhar
GMAT Club Bot
Re: hopefully   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2019, 22:11

hopefully

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics