Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Other, Operations
GPA: 3.15
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Other, Operations
GPA: 3.15
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: How do I better my GMAT score beyond 550 [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi achandak,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Before providing specific advice, it would be helpful to learn more about your GMAT study routine and score goal. I have some questions.

1) Please describe how you have been studying and what materials you having been using. For how many hours a day have you been studying and for how many months?
My work before the Prep Test:
Learn the concept, Solve OG, VR and QR questions.
My Work after the Prep Test:
Identify the weak areas and work accordingly. This gave a result to me that I need to work in all the aspects of Verbal. I revisited all the concepts and strategies.
My daily routine currently :
Solve 3 RC passages.(As I failed to understand the RC passages. I usually get frightened when I see RC passage)
For SC : Solve questions from GMAT Prep(15/20) : And analyze all the answers and tweaks in the SC.
For CR : Solve questions from GMATClub Timer(10/15) : I have been practicing one type of questions each day for the past 7 days.
Quant : I work on quant where I made mistakes in the Prep Exam.

2) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

I want to apply for Indian School of Business(Management Consultancy). The 1st deadline for the application form is 15th Sep. 2nd deadline is 15th Dec.

3) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?
I have taken a date 18th Aug. I wanted to fill the application form by 15th Sep

4) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?
3 to 4 hours a day

5) What is your desired GMAT score?

Desired GMAT Score is 710
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Ashish,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 530 +/- a few points). Raising a 530 to a 710+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, you will likely need to consider pushing back your Test Date. Considering the 2nd application deadline that you listed, you still have plenty of time to continue studying and improving.

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix '). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
achandak wrote:
Hi,

I started giving GMAT mock tests after completion of my OG, VR and QR. Below is my test score.

1. 26th June : GMAT Prep1 : 520(V16, Q47)

2. GMATPrep Questions - Working on weakness

3. 13th July : GMAT Prep2 : 550(V20, Q47)

4. GMATPrep Question + GMAT Club questions - Working on Weakness

My accuracy in both the test was approx. 50 %.

I have taken a GMAT date of 18th Aug. How do I improve on my score to my maximum potential?

Please suggest me a plan for the next 28 days.

Best Regards,
Ashish

Hello Ashish,

you already seem to have a solid foundation in Quant, therefore I´ll focus on a couple of tips to deal with the verbal section:

1. Check out the SC specific threads on this forum, some of them (generally those with a lot of kudos) are very helpful

2. Listen to some of the videos on the YT channel from Veritas, Magoosh and GmatNinja

3. Maybe check out the link in my signature, it addresses some verbal topics in general.

All the best for your prep my friend,
Chris
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi achandak,

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that any student will realize a score increase of 160 points in under 1 month. Many students need 3 to 4 months of consistent prep to improve a GMAT score by such an amount. Are you able to take your GMAT at a later date?

Regarding your study routine, it appears that you mostly have been engaging in random practice prior to fully mastering GMAT content. If you can adjust your study routine such that you work on mastery of content first, followed by focused practice, you will be better able to improve your GMAT quant and verbal knowledge. For example, if you are learning about number properties, you should develop as much conceptual knowledge about number properties as possible. In other words, your goal will be to completely understand properties of factorials, perfect squares, quadratic patterns, LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, and remainders, to name a few concepts. After carefully reviewing the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer number properties questions, you will want to practice by answering 50 or more questions just from number properties. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you get a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant and verbal topics.

Let’s say you are reviewing Critical Reasoning. Be sure that you first learn the necessary concepts of CR questions and then practice a large number of Critical Reasoning questions: strengthen and weaken the argument, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. As you go through the questions, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get correct. If you missed a weaken question, ask yourself why you didn't get it right. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize what the question was asking? Did you skip over a key detail in an answer choice? Getting GMAT verbal questions right is a matter of what you know, what you see, and what you do. So, any time that you don't get one right, you can seek to identify what, if anything, you would have needed to know in order to get the right answer, what you had to see that you didn't see, and what you could have done differently to arrive at the correct answer.

When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of the questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to at least around 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new verbal and quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the [best quant](https://gmatclub.com/reviews/highest-ra ... or-quant-4) and [verbal](https://gmatclub.com/reviews/highest-ra ... -verbal-34]verbal courses).

You also may find it helpful to read my article for more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with questions.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot