GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 08:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How do you stay motivated?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
How do you stay motivated?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2010, 13:24
I'm just curious as to how you guys stay motivated while preparing for the exam. I've been hitting the GMAT pretty hard these past couple of weeks and I feel like I'm burning out.

I couldn't find any threads related to this topic so if there are any, please point me in the right direction. :)
Manager
Manager
Re: How do you stay motivated?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2010, 13:29
i have the same problem--staying motivated!! now i am trying to believe that good education= good job (since i don't realy like what i am doing now)...
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2010, 16:43
Read all the successful GMAT write-ups on this board! Most of them have one thing in common -- hard work.

Whenever I need a boost, I come to the "GMAT Experience" board here on GMATClub and read a few of the 700+ write-ups.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2010, 19:10
It can certainly be difficult to maintain a positive attitude throughout your entire study plan. As with all things, some days will be good, and others bad. That's life.

You might feel particularly overwhelmed once you think of the big picture. Nobody can handle thinking about the GMAT, MBA, and life and family afterward. It's simply too much. Just focus on what you have to do today and things will fall into place. Just take things one step at a time. It's much easier to accomplish smaller goals. Eventually, things will add up.

YourDreamTheater has a good point; read some of the GMAT Experience topics. That helped me, especially when I needed a break.
Schools: Carey '16

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2010, 22:30
I'm not sure if it's gonna help but I try to make the GMAT thing personal for me. Like for now, screw all the grad apps and the essays and ultimately whether I get in or not, right now, at this moment in time, it's the GMAT vs Me. And I try to think about the rewards that will come with having a good GMAT score, not to mention the bragging rights as I have some pretty friendly/intense competition around me with fellows students whom are also taking their GMAT's as well.

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2010, 08:09
You might find this useful:

gmat-prep-burnout-77149.html
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 07:33
Stop Comparing Yourself to Others With These statements
1. Trust in yourself.
2. Try not to say you don't have enough timer.
3. There are individuals who work throughout the day.
4. Confidence
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 13:03
I always try to relax if I feel that I can not learn anything. If you are very nervous, then the result can be sad.

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 08:40
I come to the "GMAT Experience" board here on GMATClub and read a few of the 700+ write-ups.
CrackVerbal Co-Founder
B

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 04:56
There are actually multiple things at play here.

I am going to put in the form of a statement.

You can use the usual "Agree most - Neutral - Disagree most" to see which of the statements are applicable to you.

#1) I am just not able to motivate myself to sit down and study for the GMAT

This is a classic case of "inertia". A student in a state of rest continues to be in a state of rest unless and until acted upon by an external force :)

Heard of the Nike ad that says "Just do it!"? That is your mantra here. Don't plan - don't analyze - just do. Sit down every day for about 30 minutes.

Don't have any expectations of doing anything. Read through the T&C in the OG. Read up the questions. Languidly solve a few.

The key here is to get the momentum. As anyone who is preparing for the GMAT would attest - preparation is all about gaining momentum.

Once you get to the state when you start "missing" your routine - you know the GMAT bug has bitten you.

#2) Studying for the GMAT is very stressful and shoots up my anxiety

This is typically caused when the student has one of the following 3 reasons:

(a) a deadline close by - okay, so you booked your GMAT date a three months ago and thought it was sufficient time. Now you realize it isn't.

Just push the dates out. It is better to miss an application deadline (a bummer!) than apply with a low GMAT score.

(b) unrealistic expectation of improvement - so you studied for 3 weeks and went from 550 to 580. I know that is painful.

However, this is the GMAT. There are no shortcuts. You need to learn WHY you are making the mistakes and not focus on WHAT those mistakes are.

And don't assume everyone has the same learning curve. Don't' assume everyone has the same background.

(c) is a student hypochondriac - you worry too much. You start fretting over every single error, every point improvement, every silly mistake.

Learn to enjoy the journey. People who do well on the GMAT don't enjoy the prep as a result. Rather people who enjoy the prep - end up with a kickass score.

Nobody has scored well by feeling miserable. So as a first step, stock your fridge with some cold beer :-D

#3) GMAT prep has left me burned out and brain dead.

The OP on this thread perhaps suffers from this problem.

It typically happens when you study for long hours. Remember that the human brain is an expensive tissue for your body to maintain.

Wondered why you feel drained after a 3-hour GMAT test and not watching Avengers: Endgame for a similar duration?

That is because the kind of studying needed on the GMAT is very intensive so even a short 1-hour session can leave you exhausted.

Respect that decision fatigue https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_fatigue is real and try to either (a) not do any other activity that consumes your brain power so much (b) keep your study sessions around 2 hours at a time (maybe 3 if you are really adventurous)

#4) I feel overwhelmed with all the topics to study on the GMAT

Remember GMAT is a thinker's test and not a doer's test. So stop trying to memorize all those grammar rules (Harvard Business School is not interested in a high school grammar teacher). Stop trying to mug up a bunch of formulae to crack quant.

Just take a deep breath and write down all the topics on a sheet of paper. Start slowly - pick 1 topic - let's say Coordinate Geometry. And during your study session focus only on that topic. Forget everything else. Don't overthink. Keep knocking off the topics one by one.

#5) Solving GMAT questions is frustrating as I am not sure I am making any progress

This is a bit of a corollary to point #2 above however, the slight difference is that there is no time pressure.

In this stage, it might make sense for you to stop whatever you are doing and spend 1-2 days just analyzing.

What is your biggest challenge? (i.e. using the 80/20 rule can you see any specific issues that are dragging you?)

What technique doesn't seem to be working? (i.e. do you see some areas where you just don't seem to be able to get to the right answer)

is your concern real or perceived? (i.e. stressed based on actual test scores or just your own self-assessment)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope this helps.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have based on this :)

Arun

Founder and CEO, Crackverbal

Register for a Free GMAT Course to kickstart your prep!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How do you stay motivated?   [#permalink] 21 May 2019, 04:56

How do you stay motivated?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep