GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

How good is a 710 in GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
How good is a 710 in GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 06:29
Hello everyone, I gave my GMAT exam recently and got a 710 (49Q, 38Q, 8IR).

I understand the score is not bad, but it's not something great either.
One answer i read quoted, and I'm paraphrasing
"It doesn't close doors, but it doesn't help in opening any either"

Little bit of a background
My Prep - Nearly zero. I practiced some 80-100 questions of Data Sufficiency.
The two free mocks you get with creating an official GMAT account - 750(50Q,41V,5IR) and 730(49Q,41V,7IR)

I feel I can do much better. I was expecting a 730 minimum, and was hoping for something in the range of 740-760.

I understand my prep is virtually zero, but the GMAT mock scores reflect a higher range than 710. I have always been good at such exams, and feel 710 is too low.

I'm not aiming for top schools like HBS/Wharton, but a mid range school which can offer me scholarship.

I'm an Indian Male.

I completed 2 years of work in a Technology company a few weeks back.
My profile is
1) Technical, as in I do the required technical work like anyone else.
2) Program Management, managing a lot of my team's processes
2.5) I lead a intra office organisation of 2000+ people. This is not especially work related, but like an official organisation of people within the office. We conduct events and so on.

I know 2 years is less (will be three by the time I join a B school next year), but I am current doing double the work of a usual person (points 1 and 2) as well as leading another organisation (point 2.5).

I know I have the calibre to get a 750, and possibly even 780ish. Conversely, I could get below 710 too since I have zero preparation. I'd still say my average is above 710.

Looking for some advice
1) Should I give the GMAT again?
2) Do I even have a chance in getting into a mid to top end B school? Am I flying too high?

(Thanks in advance to anyone who takes out the time to help me out)
Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge
Re: How good is a 710 in GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 07:23
Hi lolpopo1,

Seems that you can improve your score. Checl out this thread:
Should I Retake GMAT Thread

Get Free advice and complimentary profile evaluation by Top Admissions Consultants.

Hope this helps!

Non progredi est regredi

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 06:43
lolpopo1 wrote:

The two free mocks you get with creating an official GMAT account - 750(50Q,41V,5IR) and 730(49Q,41V,7IR)

I feel I can do much better. I was expecting a 730 minimum, and was hoping for something in the range of 740-760.

I understand my prep is virtually zero, but the GMAT mock scores reflect a higher range than 710. I have always been good at such exams, and feel 710 is too low.

I'm not aiming for top schools like HBS/Wharton, but a mid range school which can offer me scholarship.

I'm an Indian Male.

My profile is
2.5) I lead a intra office organisation of 2000+ people. This is not especially work related, but like an official organisation of people within the office. We conduct events and so on.

I know 2 years is less (will be three by the time I join a B school next year), but I am current doing double the work of a usual person (points 1 and 2) as well as leading another organisation (point 2.5).

I know I have the calibre to get a 750, and possibly even 780ish. Conversely, I could get below 710 too since I have zero preparation. I'd still say my average is above 710.

Looking for some advice
2) Do I even have a chance in getting into a mid to top end B school? Am I flying too high?

1. I think you should take it again. 710 is a very good (not a not bad) score, but a higher score could help, especially if you can improve your score without compromising everything else you're doing for your applications.

2. I don't see why you wouldn't. That said, you might want to get into a more detailed conversation about your profile with a consultant.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 23:43
lolpopo1 all signs point to that you should definitely be able to get a higher score - getting a 710 without much prep is extremely impressive. That being said, it won't be easy - improving when you are already past the 700 mark is quite hard, the differences between each score increment become harder and harder.
I think you need a serious study plan, and you may want to consider taking a course as well.
If you send me your ESR I'd be happy to look it over and give you a few more pointers.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 09:49
Update - AWA score is 4

I would love more feedback
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 15:56
Hi lolpopo1,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help.

So, scoring 710, with almost no prep, is pretty amazing! That being said, since you are looking to land a scholarship, I recommend that you consider retaking the GMAT. As you said, you could score perhaps as high as 780, so go for it!

Regarding your profile, as Akela mentioned, reach out to some admissions consultants here on GMAT Club.

If you do decide to retake your GMAT, feel free to reach back out, and I’d be happy to provide some further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 22:21
this isn't a great score, but it's hard for me to comment more without actually seeing it.
if you send it to me here, I can try and give you some comments.
There a lot of misconceptions about what an AWA should include - if you sign up for our tutorial, I would suggest watching our video on Analytical Writing Assessment to see you're doing everything right.

lolpopo1 wrote:
Update - AWA score is 4

I would love more feedback

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GPA: 3.56
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 00:32
lolpopo1 wrote:

I'm an Indian Male.

My profile is

Looking for some advice

that's a really great score on First attempt. Definitely you can do more. Congratulations and all the best...!!

The Graceful
----------------------------------------------------------
Every EXPERT was a beginner once...
Don't look at the clock. Do what it does, keep going
To achieve great things, two things are needed:a plan and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How good is a 710 in GMAT? &nbs [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 00:32

How good is a 710 in GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap