Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.66
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.66
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: How is Wiley as a practice for quant questions? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
praneet87 wrote:
Thank you so much for the response Mike. Yes I meant the online OG questions that you get with the OG Book. The last Veritas Prep CAT I took I got a 34 on Verbal and a 46 on Quant. I am still working on CR and then will move onto RC and then SC. Meanwhile I am working keeping my quant skills sharp by solving questions I am weak at. I will surely look into getting Magoosh to access the question bank.

Thanks for the response. I probably get why I didn't get a response since I called them Wiley :). I was just confused because even the questions marked "Hard" were fairly very simple. On the contrary while using Veritas if I am presented with a 700+ question I find it challenging but OG ones don't seem so hard. Just wanted to know if I am wasting time working on those or not.

Thanks
Praneet

Dear Praneet,

I'm happy to respond. :-) There's a funny thing to understand about test prep companies, such as Veritas and Magoosh. We don't write the real test. We are left in a position of guessing exactly how hard the GMAT would make their questions: of course, we have studied the test carefully for years, but we still don't know exactly what the GMAT would or would not ask on certain high-end challenge questions. As a general rule, test prep companies strive to make their questions a notch or two harder than they might have to be. You see, if our students master our hard questions, and then go to the real GMAT and say, "Wait, that was easy," then that's exactly the result we really want. By contrast, if our questions aren't hard enough, customers will master our questions, then go the GMAT and say, "Wait, this is much harder than I expected!" That result would make the test prep company look bad. For us, it's a big win if our questions overestimate the difficulty of the test and a big loss if we underestimate the difficulty, so there's a strong motivation to make the questions more on the hard side. We're doing this because we are in the position of preparing student for a test we don't write. The GMAT OG is different: they don't have to guess what will be on the GMAT. They know. They are simply sharing released old questions, trying to be representative without really worrying at all if anything is too easy or too hard. Their questions represent most of the middle of the Bell Curve of scores, out to the arms, but not necessarily everything at the very top. They don't have to worry about that. If someone bombs the GMAT and then comes back to Veritas or Magoosh and says, "your material didn't prepare me well: it wasn't hard enough," then that's a big indictment of what we do--we didn't do our job right! But if someone bombs the GMAT and then comes back and says, "the OG didn't prepare me well: it wasn't hard enough," then GMAC is simply going to say, "Well, that's not our problem. The OG is representative of all students. If you needed more prep on the hard questions, you should have used a test prep company." GMAC occupies a very different market space than do the test prep companies: the test prep companies cooperate with GMAC--the folks at GMAC are fabulous!--but we make our money in very different ways.

It's always important to think about the economics of all the players. OG questions and question from Magoosh or Veritas or any other company have very different economic histories and very different economic motivations. All this affects student experience.

One more recommendation I'll make:
Nova’s GMAT Math Prep Course Book Review
This is a huge source of practice questions, many much harder than the GMAT. The explanations are not very good, so it's not a good book for someone who has a lot of math to learn, but for someone who is already performing at a very high level, such as you, it's an excellent source of practice.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
praneet87 wrote:
I've been using GMATClub's and Veritas Prep's Quant question bank to practice for the past 1.5 months. I've basically brushed up all the concepts in Quant and now have moved over to Verbal. On the Veritas question bank + Gmat club problems that i solve my average stands at 70% for medium and hard problems. I moved onto verbal and finally decided to use the Wiley question bank to keep my Quant practice going on as I concentrate on verbal.

My issue is that the questions that are even marked Hard on Wiley are not at all challenging. They are almost as easy as the 600-700 questions or sometimes sub 600 questions on Gmatclub. Is Wiley a good source for Quant practice? I take a 15 question practice every night after my verbal prep and I get almost 15/15 or 14/15 right. I don't want to waste time on something that won't sharpen my Quant skills.

Is Magoosh a good resource for quaunt? I don't really need the videos, just the question bank - I am generally good at self-study and have been using MGMAT.

I can provide my insights. Magoosh has great question bank (Q 648 & V 558) with high quality. Each question's answer comes with its video and text. If you have doubt, you can email for support. The most issue I insist on is the 'reflection process', ESPECIALLY in Verbal. You answer 15 question every night. But do you analyze the wrong answers. Why do they wrong? You will get maximum benefit of this process in verbal.

I do not know if you have the Verbal reviews edition for Quant and verbal. Both are great companion to the Official Guide.

Good luck in your journey :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Hi,

Wiley basically offers OG question bank, if that's what you're talking about. While it is convenient at best, it also wastes time and offers you questions that are a mixed bag of easy/medium and hard. My only problem with Wiley is that it repeats questions that you may have already solved and doesn't give option of solving questions of your preferred topic. Offlate you can't even select difficulty level.

Magoosh's questions are great from a training perspective but not advisable to solve those from exam perspective. Their score predictor inflates scores...so not reliable from exam perspective, but it's a great training ground.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92945 posts