GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 09:45

Stanford R1 Interview Decisions:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

How many factors does the number A have? 1) A is divisible by 43

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior DS Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 995
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
How many factors does the number A have? 1) A is divisible by 43  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 10:38
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:22) correct 40% (01:01) wrong based on 69 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Oct 2017
Posts: 691
How many factors does the number A have? 1) A is divisible by 43  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 May 2018, 21:00
1) A can be 43 having 2 factors
or 86 having four factors
And many more possibilities
So insufficient

II) A can be prime number like 97 having 2 factors
Or 100 having 9 factors
So insufficient

Combining both
A can be 86,129
So in each case no of factors is 4

43*2= 4 factors
43*3=4 factors

Answer-C

Give kudos for answer

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Give kudos if you like the post


Originally posted by push12345 on 11 May 2018, 14:39.
Last edited by push12345 on 11 May 2018, 21:00, edited 2 times in total.
DS Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 1365
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: How many factors does the number A have? 1) A is divisible by 43  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 20:25
push12345 wrote:
1) A can be 43 having 2 factors
or 86 having four factors
And many more possibilities
So insufficient

II) A can be prime number like 97 having 2 factors
Or 100 having 9 factors
So insufficient

Combining both
A can be 43,86,129
So different number of factors in each case
So insufficient

Answer-E

Give kudos for answer

Posted from my mobile device


Hello

But after combining, we cannot take the value of '43' since we are given that A lies between 50 and 150 inclusive. So we can only take 86 and 129 I think
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Oct 2017
Posts: 691
Re: How many factors does the number A have? 1) A is divisible by 43  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 20:28
amanvermagmat wrote:
push12345 wrote:
1) A can be 43 having 2 factors
or 86 having four factors
And many more possibilities
So insufficient

II) A can be prime number like 97 having 2 factors
Or 100 having 9 factors
So insufficient

Combining both
A can be 43,86,129
So different number of factors in each case
So insufficient

Answer-E

Give kudos for answer

Posted from my mobile device


Hello

But after combining, we cannot take the value of '43' since we are given that A lies between 50 and 150 inclusive. So we can only take 86 and 129 I think


Yeah by mistake 43 is written..I have edited the same.. thank you

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Give kudos if you like the post

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Oct 2017
Posts: 18
Schools: Ryerson"20
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: How many factors does the number A have? 1) A is divisible by 43  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 20:40
1
gmatbusters wrote:
How many factors does the number A have?

1) A is divisible by 43
2) A lies between 50 and 150, inclusive.



Ans is C.

A. Not sufficient as the number could be 43 itself or a multiple of 43, in which case, the number of factors will vary.

B. Not sufficient as B can be any number between 50 and 150 and as such, will have varying number of factors

Both. Sufficient.

As the number is divisible by 43 and lies between 50 and 150, only 86 and 129 meet the requirement. Each of these numbers has 4 factors - 86 - 43 * 2 ( 4 factors)
129 - 43 * 3 ( 4 factors )

Thus, it is sufficient to say that A, meeting the given conditions, has 4 factors.

Please give kudos if you like my explanation
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Re: How many factors does the number A have? 1) A is divisible by 43  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 07:14
Can someone explain why it is not E?

The question asks for how many factors does the NUMBER A have?
How can C be the answer when it includes two different numbers? - I thought the phrasing was there to trap you into choosing C rather than E.

Help needed - thanks



mongmat27 wrote:
gmatbusters wrote:
How many factors does the number A have?

1) A is divisible by 43
2) A lies between 50 and 150, inclusive.



Ans is C.

A. Not sufficient as the number could be 43 itself or a multiple of 43, in which case, the number of factors will vary.

B. Not sufficient as B can be any number between 50 and 150 and as such, will have varying number of factors

Both. Sufficient.

As the number is divisible by 43 and lies between 50 and 150, only 86 and 129 meet the requirement. Each of these numbers has 4 factors - 86 - 43 * 2 ( 4 factors)
129 - 43 * 3 ( 4 factors )

Thus, it is sufficient to say that A, meeting the given conditions, has 4 factors.

Please give kudos if you like my explanation
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Oct 2017
Posts: 265
Re: How many factors does the number A have? 1) A is divisible by 43  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 07:43
Studious1 wrote:
Can someone explain why it is not E?

The question asks for how many factors does the NUMBER A have?
How can C be the answer when it includes two different numbers? - I thought the phrasing was there to trap you into choosing C rather than E.

Help needed - thanks



mongmat27 wrote:
gmatbusters wrote:
How many factors does the number A have?

1) A is divisible by 43
2) A lies between 50 and 150, inclusive.



Ans is C.

A. Not sufficient as the number could be 43 itself or a multiple of 43, in which case, the number of factors will vary.

B. Not sufficient as B can be any number between 50 and 150 and as such, will have varying number of factors

Both. Sufficient.

As the number is divisible by 43 and lies between 50 and 150, only 86 and 129 meet the requirement. Each of these numbers has 4 factors - 86 - 43 * 2 ( 4 factors)
129 - 43 * 3 ( 4 factors )

Thus, it is sufficient to say that A, meeting the given conditions, has 4 factors.

Please give kudos if you like my explanation
Answer is not E because we are sure that with given restriction, a number can assume only 2 values. Both of these values have 4 factors only.

I think you have a misconception that two different integers can't have same number of factors
Eg: 2 and 3
Factors of 2- 1,2
Factors of 3- 1,3

Both of them have 2 factors

Thank you = Kudos
_________________

Thank you =Kudos
The best thing in life lies on the other side of the pain.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How many factors does the number A have? 1) A is divisible by 43 &nbs [#permalink] 28 Aug 2018, 07:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many factors does the number A have? 1) A is divisible by 43

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.