Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 01:06 It is currently 05 May 2024, 01:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Number Propertiesx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 609 [2]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2501 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1431 [2]
Given Kudos: 633
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621276 [0]
Given Kudos: 81745
Send PM
Re: How many integers are there between, but not including, integers r and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
stne wrote:
dzodzo85 wrote:
How many integers are there between, but not including, integers r and s ?

(1) s – r = 10
(2) There are 9 integers between, but not including, r + 1 and s + 1.

I may have mistakenly chosen the wrong answer, but nevertheless some expert explanation will help me understand this better.

Dear Moderator,
Found this DS question in the PS section, hope you will do the needful. Thank you.

Own Kudos [?]: 30059 [3]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: How many integers are there between, but not including, integers r and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

(1) s - r = 10

Target question: How many integers are there between, but not including, integers r and s ?

Statement 1: s - r = 10
First of all, this tells us that s is greater than r
So, on the number line, we have: ------r------------s----

Also notice that, if we take the given equation and add r to both sides, we get s = r+10
So, we can replace s with r+10 to get: ------r------------(r+10)----

Since r is an integer, we know that r+1 is an integer, and r+2 is an integer, and r+3 is an integer, etc.
If we add all of these values to our number line we get: ------r--(r+1)--(r+2)--(r+3)--(r+4)--(r+5)--(r+6)--(r+7)--(r+8)--(r+9)--(r+10)----
We can see that there are 9 integers between r and s
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: There are 9 integers between, but not including, r + 1 and s + 1.
The key here is to recognize that the number of integers between r + 1 and s + 1 IS THE SAME AS the number of integers between r and s

For example, we know that there are three integers between 5 and 9 (the integers are 6, 7 and 8)
If we add one to 5 and 9, we get 6 and 10
Notice that there are also three integers between 6 and 10 (the integers are 7, 8 and 9)

So, if there are 9 integers between r + 1 and s + 1, then we can also conclude that there are 9 integers between r and s
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
longhaul123 wrote:
one small doubt in the statement 1. Why shouldn't we consider s=-10 and r=20 in which case the sum is 10 but the number of integers between them is not 9. Kindly explain

If s=-10 and r=-20 then it makes sense. s-r=10 and the integers between s and r is also 9.
Hope it helps.
ammuseeru wrote:
Why did we assume that R to S is continuous series ?

can't it be 0, 1, 10

R=0, S=10 ..but number of integer between S and R will 1.

Hello ammuseeru
Quote:

(1) s - r = 10

You can consider whatever you like in the highlighted part until you consider both statements. But, if you take statement 1 then you have to be specific in your thinking.
In statement 1, s-r=10 means s=r+10.

r--(r+1)---(r+2)---(r+3)----(r+4)---(r+5)---(r+6)---(r+7)---(r+8)--(r+9)----s (r+10)-->The are just 9 integers.
So, it has to be in ''continuous serious'' definitely.
If you're asked that how many integers between 97 and 100? can you skip any digit? definitely not. The series are continuous (97, 98, 99, 100).
Quote:
R=0, S=10 ..but number of integer between S and R will 1

Here, the number of integers=(s-r)+1
=10+1 (in statement 1, s-r=10)
=11
=11-2(excluding s and r)
=9 integers
Hope it helps.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 826 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
93029 posts