GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar

How much money did you save up prior to going to b school

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jul 2017
Posts: 5
How much money did you save up prior to going to b school  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Sep 2018, 23:52
1
How much money did you save up before going to b school?

Originally posted by stysonkoo on 24 Sep 2018, 19:40.
Last edited by Narenn on 27 Sep 2018, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Topic moved to appropriate forum
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 28 Jun 2018
Posts: 147
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: CUHK '21 (II)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How much money did you save up prior to going to b school  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 21:19
if you are asking how much money you need for bearing the expenses of b-school , then it depends upon the country and school you choose.
it can range from $68,700 to $110,000 including living expenses (without scholarships).
_________________

What to do if you are new to GMAT:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-if-you-are-new-272708.html#p2108758

GMAC official guides : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-official-guides-the-master-directory-links-240610.html#p1854935

Give me kudos if you like it , it's totally harmless :)

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: Winter is coming
Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 262
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: How much money did you save up prior to going to b school  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 06:07
I guess (s)he just wants to know how much you saved before b-school.
GMATbuster92 wrote:
if you are asking how much money you need for bearing the expenses of b-school , then it depends upon the country and school you choose.
it can range from $68,700 to $110,000 including living expenses (without scholarships).
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Gaja!
Joined: 26 Aug 2014
Posts: 50
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: How much money did you save up prior to going to b school  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 09:35
1
Round 1 applicant for Class of 2021 here!

I saved ~1.5 years of tuition excluding expense, but I used it as a down payment for a house. I will take out a loan and hope that the rates for internationals are... decent :)
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16984
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How much money did you save up prior to going to b school  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 14:15
2
It is nice/good/smart to save as much as you can before you head over to BSchool. Being international can be tough due to salary parity and cost of living. What many don't know (myself included) is that the loan will not disburse until you start school, so if your orientation starts on Aug 25th, School starts on Sept 5th, and your land in the US on July 30th, there is a good chance your loan wont' disburse until the 5th (some lenders may release it on the 25th but still, that's a month on your own).

And before the school starts, is the time you will need $$$ to get security deposit, first and last months of rent on your apartment/etc - that can easily be $5K. If you have to get a phone, computer, car, housewares, and anything else that is expensive (e.g. books), you are looking into quite an amount to have available and accessible pre loan.

Plan well!
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 375
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How much money did you save up prior to going to b school  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 17:39
bb wrote:
It is nice/good/smart to save as much as you can before you head over to BSchool. Being international can be tough due to salary parity and cost of living. What many don't know (myself included) is that the loan will not disburse until you start school, so if your orientation starts on Aug 25th, School starts on Sept 5th, and your land in the US on July 30th, there is a good chance your loan wont' disburse until the 5th (some lenders may release it on the 25th but still, that's a month on your own).

And before the school starts, is the time you will need $$$ to get security deposit, first and last months of rent on your apartment/etc - that can easily be $5K. If you have to get a phone, computer, car, housewares, and anything else that is expensive (e.g. books), you are looking into quite an amount to have available and accessible pre loan.

Plan well!


bb, Could you explain need of CAR ? What do you mean by housewares, and anything else that is expensive? School Library won't provide Books ? Just a curious question. Because in India at least premium Engineering schools/colleges give books to each student.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: Winter is coming
Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 262
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: How much money did you save up prior to going to b school  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 18:25
1
You won't need a car if you live in a university town. But that isn't the case at most universities.
If you go to Stanford or Berkeley for instance, you'd need a car to get around in the city because the public transport system in the bay area is bad.

Housewares: You know, groceries, utensils, Air Conditioners (if you don't live in a dorm and if your apartment doesn't have one).
Books: There will be books in the libraries that you can borrow for a limited amount of time but you won't have unlimited copies.
And no, they won't provide you with free copies of the books. And textbooks are quite expensive. A few of my engineering books costed me anywhere between $100 and $200 each.
ammuseeru wrote:
bb wrote:
It is nice/good/smart to save as much as you can before you head over to BSchool. Being international can be tough due to salary parity and cost of living. What many don't know (myself included) is that the loan will not disburse until you start school, so if your orientation starts on Aug 25th, School starts on Sept 5th, and your land in the US on July 30th, there is a good chance your loan wont' disburse until the 5th (some lenders may release it on the 25th but still, that's a month on your own).

And before the school starts, is the time you will need $$$ to get security deposit, first and last months of rent on your apartment/etc - that can easily be $5K. If you have to get a phone, computer, car, housewares, and anything else that is expensive (e.g. books), you are looking into quite an amount to have available and accessible pre loan.

Plan well!


bb, Could you explain need of CAR ? What do you mean by housewares, and anything else that is expensive? School Library won't provide Books ? Just a curious question. Because in India at least premium Engineering schools/colleges give books to each student.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16984
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How much money did you save up prior to going to b school  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 19:46
I think MV23 gave a pretty good overview. Certain places will make your life extra hard without a car - Texas or California or other places. It is also a trade off as on campus living is often more expensive or unavailable so a car is needed or otherwise you will depend on a one-an-hour bus.

As to books, I spent $800 on books in the first semester in the US. They are not available in the library as far as I know and professors often push for latest editions of the books. It is quite a racket. And no, you don’t get free books. 8-)

So good luck trying to save $100 on GMAT Prep and screwing yourself only to have to shell out thousands for required books.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 375
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How much money did you save up prior to going to b school  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 05:42
bb wrote:
I think MV23 gave a pretty good overview. Certain places will make your life extra hard without a car - Texas or California or other places. It is also a trade off as on campus living is often more expensive or unavailable so a car is needed or otherwise you will depend on a one-an-hour bus.

As to books, I spent $800 on books in the first semester in the US. They are not available in the library as far as I know and professors often push for latest editions of the books. It is quite a racket. And no, you don’t get free books. 8-)

So good luck trying to save $100 on GMAT Prep and screwing yourself only to have to shell out thousands for required books.

Posted from my mobile device


LOL, it is so unfortunate that people will pay so much $$ in college fee and will still end up buying books for another $800-$1000. $800-1000 is huge amount for normal middle class family. Thanks for heads up. I will save as much as possible.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How much money did you save up prior to going to b school &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 05:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How much money did you save up prior to going to b school

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.