Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 879 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [2]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: How to deal with test anxiety (GMAT). Seeking for help please [#permalink]
Kudos
VtheRe wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just did first GMAT practice test 1. And I analyzed the entire experience.

First, I was extremely nervous. I couldn’t read the questions, for majority of the questions, I didn’t even read them before I chose an answer. Some of the questions I read 3 times and didn’t even know what the questions ask about because I couldn’t focus and nothing get into my head. ( right, can’t believe I could be that nervous!!). I feel my biggest enemy is test anxiety, like when the test started and I saw the clock is ticking, i was blind.

Second, I started verbal first, The first question is RC, so I tried to write down the summary, main idea etc on scratch paper like what I did when I do practice questions. BUT it took so long to complete the first RC passage. After the first passage, I was already behind on time. That made me even more anxious. For the first few SC, I also tried to write down the reasons when I eliminated answer options. Again it took too long to answer one question. For the last long RC passage I didn’t even read the passage, just guess the answers. I feel this strategy is very distracted during test! But This strategy is helpful when doing practice question under no pressure to learn the content. I did a manhattan CAT before and I didn’t use this strategy (like write down summaries on scratch paper), I feel I could focus better on the questions. I was still very and unbelievable nervous. Sweating, couldn’t focus, couldn’t read the questions, rushing to finish. When I redo the questions I got wrong under no pressure after the CAT test, I got most of them correct.

Everyone use the same strategy ( write down on your scratch paper) during tests?

Anyone can share how to deal with test anxiety?

Thank you so much!!

VtheRe :- Mate, one suggestion would be to try out meditation. It helped me a lot. I have gone through the anxiety as well. And trust me meditation works a lot to gather your concentration back into the game and with that the focus.

Also, as far as taking notes is concerned, I used to take a lot of notes for RC. But it helps only when you are not being able to concentrate. It helps you get more engaged in the passage. So my suggestion would be to try out various methods and eventually see what fits for you. I have stopped taking notes now, but if required during the test for some reason that I am not being able to understand I would take notes.

For CR and SC a Big NO NO. You can't devote any time to taking notes for CR and SC. I usually use my fingers on the computer screen as and when I eliminate the answer choices. See if that helps for you.

All the best with your next CAT. Let us know how it goes and if the suggestions here help you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi VtheRe,

Many Test Takers face anxiety issues and/or pacing issues in the Quant section, the Verbal section or both – so you are not alone. However, it's important to remember that pacing problems do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER problems. In addition, each practice CAT/mock is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores - and improve in these other areas - you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, taking lots of CAT is NOT the solution that you're looking for - and you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi VtheRe,

As has been said, test anxiety is quite common among GMAT test-takers, so you certainly are not alone. To help manage your nerves, you could try some visualization techniques. Imagine various test-day scenarios such as getting stuck on a question, issues in the testing center, feeling pressed for time, or worrying that you’re underperforming. As you feel your stress responses start to kick in when thinking about these things, practice pulling yourself together and visualize focusing on getting correct answers.

When taking the GMAT, the best way to deal with stress is to get busy answering the question in front of you, focusing completely on the task at hand so that you redirect all of that nervous energy and naturally calm down. In other words, you distract yourself with a goal. Just tell yourself that all that matters is getting the correct answer to the question in front of you, and then when you have finished that question, take the same attitude toward the next one. Focus on winning each “mini-battle” and you won't have time for anxiety. If you can win enough of those battles, you can win the GMAT war, right?

I wrote an article that provides some more detailed advice about how to limit GMAT anxiety.

Please reach out with any further questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VtheRe wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just did first GMAT practice test 1. And I analyzed the entire experience.

First, I was extremely nervous. I couldn’t read the questions, for majority of the questions, I didn’t even read them before I chose an answer. Some of the questions I read 3 times and didn’t even know what the questions ask about because I couldn’t focus and nothing get into my head. ( right, can’t believe I could be that nervous!!). I feel my biggest enemy is test anxiety, like when the test started and I saw the clock is ticking, i was blind.

Second, I started verbal first, The first question is RC, so I tried to write down the summary, main idea etc on scratch paper like what I did when I do practice questions. BUT it took so long to complete the first RC passage. After the first passage, I was already behind on time. That made me even more anxious. For the first few SC, I also tried to write down the reasons when I eliminated answer options. Again it took too long to answer one question. For the last long RC passage I didn’t even read the passage, just guess the answers. I feel this strategy is very distracted during test! But This strategy is helpful when doing practice question under no pressure to learn the content. I did a manhattan CAT before and I didn’t use this strategy (like write down summaries on scratch paper), I feel I could focus better on the questions. I was still very and unbelievable nervous. Sweating, couldn’t focus, couldn’t read the questions, rushing to finish. When I redo the questions I got wrong under no pressure after the CAT test, I got most of them correct.

Everyone use the same strategy ( write down on your scratch paper) during tests?

Anyone can share how to deal with test anxiety?

Thank you so much!!

Tests don't only measure what you know, they also measure how well you take tests.

No matter how much you know, or how long you study, if you enter the test without up-leveing your mental game - - you risk going through exactly what you describe, and your performance and score will be compromised.

I speak from experience. We are the pioneers in the GMAT coaching landscape who incorporate holistic and mindful tools into the GMAT and GRE test preparation/study process. We are the equivalent of what sports psychologists and trainers are for high-performance athletes.

Meditation - - mentioned -- is a great technique to improve focus - - if you have time to integrate the practice. While research shows that you'll see some results in about 10 days, to deal with what you described, you need to take out the big guns.

Same with visualization - - there are literally thousands of solutions to what your situation is - - and identifying the exact trigger is going to be the key to how you should proceed. The good news is that alleviating anxiety is the easiest and quickest thing to improve!

How do I know? Because we've spent the last 20+ years working with test takers on this. You can absolutely work on this yourself - - and I point you to the various techniques we work on with students, based on how the symptoms manifest. There is not a silver bullet or one size fits all for each test taker, however, as a comparison, we work with students 3 - 5 hours and they're good to go.

Check out hypnosis, NLP, EFT, EMDR for starters.

Questions I have for you:

- When is the first time you've felt nervous?
- What is your reading speed - - typically if you're reading around or lower than 250 words per minute, you're likely not focusing enough: you need to INCREASE your reading speed.
- What have you done about this nervousness in the past, assuming this isn't the first time you've felt it? What worked?

You can also check out out our sample audio (30 minutes) here, as well as our youtube channel -- we have various audios that may support your efforts.

Happy to give you some more direct input when I hear more about your experience.

Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO

City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
GMAT Club Bot