It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 14:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to get to 760+?Help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 12

How to get to 760+?Help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 02:55
I am currently working and have been studying 2-3 hours daily after work on weekdays and about 6 hours on weekends. Its been slightly more than 2 months: I started studying in July.
I did the OG and the Manhattan SC and Powerscore CR Bible. I also did the Manhattan advanced Quant book as well. Unfortunately I have been stuck at 710 for a long time..

I took my first test without studying:
GMAT test prep 1: 680 q46/v38

Then I did all the stuff mentioned above and gave this after a month of study:
GMAT test prep 2: 710 q49/v38

Then obviously I needed to improve my verbal score so I practiced 700 level questions online from various sources for a month. Also, I changed the section order to verbal first and then quant because I get tired by the time I reach the second section. But I am still stuck at:
GMAT exam pack 1 test 1: 710 q47 v40

By doing verbal first,I got an improvement of 2 on verbal but lost 2 on quant.

What should I do? I am stuck and confused!

Please help with:
1. Exam strategy: Should I go with verbal first or quant? I know this depends person to person but it didn't change my overall score at all. I usually get brain dead once I reach the second section and therefore my accuracy falls and I am also not able to complete the section. I tried increasing my mental stamina but it's always been about two hours at a stretch.

2.What do I do with verbal? I practiced lots of online questions but still no improvement. Please suggest any verbal books or material. I am good at RC, but not SC and CR.

Please help!! Totally stuck!My exam is on 4th Nov and I barely have 45 days!

Posted from my mobile device

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 204 [1], given: 95

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
harshadashewale89 wrote:
I am currently working and have been studying 2-3 hours daily after work on weekdays and about 6 hours on weekends. Its been slightly more than 2 months: I started studying in July.
I did the OG and the Manhattan SC and Powerscore CR Bible. I also did the Manhattan advanced Quant book as well. Unfortunately I have been stuck at 710 for a long time..

I took my first test without studying:
GMAT test prep 1: 680 q46/v38

Then I did all the stuff mentioned above and gave this after a month of study:
GMAT test prep 2: 710 q49/v38

Then obviously I needed to improve my verbal score so I practiced 700 level questions online from various sources for a month. Also, I changed the section order to verbal first and then quant because I get tired by the time I reach the second section. But I am still stuck at:
GMAT exam pack 1 test 1: 710 q47 v40

By doing verbal first,I got an improvement of 2 on verbal but lost 2 on quant.

What should I do? I am stuck and confused!

Please help with:
1. Exam strategy: Should I go with verbal first or quant? I know this depends person to person but it didn't change my overall score at all. I usually get brain dead once I reach the second section and therefore my accuracy falls and I am also not able to complete the section. I tried increasing my mental stamina but it's always been about two hours at a stretch.

2.What do I do with verbal? I practiced lots of online questions but still no improvement. Please suggest any verbal books or material. I am good at RC, but not SC and CR.

Please help!! Totally stuck!My exam is on 4th Nov and I barely have 45 days!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi!

You're verball score is good, you can definitely get more than V40. As you've already finished GMATprep, I would recommend to get this file:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-most-com ... 40372.html

It has more than 600 official questions. There is always a reason for a wrong answer to be wrong, so go through the explanations on gmatclub. Also, there are very good explanations by Ron on MGMAT forum, I found them very helpful.

Videos by Ron are also awesome, they helped me enormously to improve my SC. Here is the link to his videos:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/compiled-thu ... 54538.html

Also, conseder getting exam packs and question bank from mba.com. For $120 you'll get 4 official CATs, they worth every penny.

+1 Kudos is the best way to say "Thank you!"

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 597 [1], given: 16

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
With around 45 days to go, you can definitely do wonders!

Take the remainder of your tests(one every 2 weeks) and analyze your mistakes after taking each test.
Work on those mistakes over the next 2 weeks and then attempt a new test and check if those errors were corrected.
For example, if you had made mistake in Sentence Correction(Modifiers), work on modifiers over the next 2 weeks.
Take your next test 2 weeks later and see if you have been able to correct these mistakes.

If you don't mind spending an additional 69$, you might want to get your hands on eGMAT(Sentence Correction only)
Their process has been explained in the form of videos and is followed with questions from the specific topics. The Scholaranium is also a very good tool. Though some of the questions are quite difficult they will get your closer to your goal score!

As for the section order change, I wouldn't worry so much. Just focus on getting your concepts right
(especially for those topics that you are making mistake in)
For Quant you might want to go through the Quantitative Megathread for concepts

Just take the tests and if you analyze your mistake from time and time, you should be hitting 760 soon.

It is very necessary to remain positive.
Hope this helps you.

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 597 [1], given: 16

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 22:37
Masshole, thank you for your positive words!
thank you for the resource! I did purchase exam pack 1 and the last test I gave was one of those. I don't mind spending more, I just needed proof that 760+ is achievable. I am a non-native speaker of English and reading everywhere about the challenges we will face drilled it into my head that I suck at Verbal!

Mostly I think I need to work on SC, since I don't have a clear well thought of framework. In SC, does one try to learn the rules? There are far too many!

Intern
Intern
B

Re: How to get to 760+?Help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 22:48
pushpitkc Thanks for the advice! I have been considering employing the services of eGMAT, and have scheduled a consulting call with them. Are they good at tutoring for the Verbal section?
I am not always able to identify what the SC questions are testing, because I don't remember all the rules from the Manhattan SC book. For example, subject verb agreement and parallelism are fairly obvious in questions, but I don't seem to recall some of the other rules. Also, I get questions right when I am practicing (I do time myself and usually end up completing a Q within 1.30 minutes) but when I am giving the test, I find that I get mentally tired in the second section- which is where I end up making mistakes.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Reviews Badge
Re: How to get to 760+?Help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
harshadashewale89 wrote:
Masshole, thank you for your positive words!
thank you for the resource! I did purchase exam pack 1 and the last test I gave was one of those. I don't mind spending more, I just needed proof that 760+ is achievable. I am a non-native speaker of English and reading everywhere about the challenges we will face drilled it into my head that I suck at Verbal!

Mostly I think I need to work on SC, since I don't have a clear well thought of framework. In SC, does one try to learn the rules? There are far too many!

I think it is important to know the rules, there are not too many of them in MGMAT book because easier questions are based on rules, and harder ones are based on meaning. It is also important to practice official questions. Practice makes perfect.Check out the following post:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... l#p1836416

+1 Kudos is the best way to say "Thank you!"

Re: How to get to 760+?Help!   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2017, 09:13

How to get to 760+?Help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap