GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How to improve verbal score within 10 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
How to improve verbal score within 10 days [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 10:03
Hi all,

I took my GMAT today and ended up getting Verbal 28. I was getting around 33 during the mocks but somehow today was not a lucky day! I am going to appear in GMAT again after 16 days and want to improve my verbal score by 10 points so that my score crosses 700. (I got a 640 today) I have done everything that I could and I am lft with no sources to refer to. It would be great if anyone could suggest me the strategy for acing verbal in 10-12 days! Thanks.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Wharton '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V40
GPA: 4
Re: How to improve verbal score within 10 days [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 10:21
Could you first share what resources you used, and what you did to improve your verbal?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 10:54
Hey Shruti07

Your first step must be to order the ESR and find out what your exact problem areas are.
Once you have an ESR, the experts on the forum will be able to give you ways to improve your score.

If your have not scored a Q50 on this attempt,
this post could be a good read to understand where you are lagging.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 41670.html

For Verbal, please find my recommendations:

You could use the PowerScore CR bible in order to get a basic understanding of how
the CR section works. This should help supplement the basics you have learnt using the
Manhattan Strategy guides.

For RC, you could refer to the below given link to understand where you are going wrong
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

eGMAT is the best resource to improve your concepts as far as Sentence Correction is concerned.

If you need a study plan to help you with your preparation, you can use this.

Hope this helps you!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 11:11
NewGuy12

I have referred to all possible sources. OG 2017, newques from OG 2018, all manhattan guides, PowerScore CR Bible. I have got a Q50.
GMAT Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 11:29
Shruti07 wrote:
Hi all,

I took my GMAT today and ended up getting Verbal 28. I was getting around 33 during the mocks but somehow today was not a lucky day! I am going to appear in GMAT again after 16 days and want to improve my verbal score by 10 points so that my score crosses 700. (I got a 640 today) I have done everything that I could and I am lft with no sources to refer to. It would be great if anyone could suggest me the strategy for acing verbal in 10-12 days! Thanks.

To be frank improving 10 points in 10 days is a stretch, but doable. If you are already equipped with all the skills, identify which portion is bringing your score down and concentrate on that part. Maybe you have some problem on time management. And in this 10 days, review only GMATPREP questions.

I myself improved 11 points from my last GMATPREP CAT6(V30) to original GMAT(V41) in 7 days. But I was confident that I already knew all the nitty-gritties(a month before I was scoring in 700+) and just trained my mind to stay calm and focused on the test day.

My 2 cents: If CR is your problem area, dont review too much, it can be detrimental (from my personal experience). Practice some 5-10 new questions every day and just try to solve with common sense and pre-thinking. Best of luck! :thumbup:

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 11:38
saswata4s

Yeah, I know the concepts.I am not good at time management and stress management I guess!
I found verbal in real GMAT to be tougher than GMATprep.

I don't know which source to refer to now, because I have done it all! :(
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Wharton '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V40
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 11:42
Review powerscore CR, and do practice on each question type. In terms of sentence correction:

Magoosh app idioms - free
Ron's sentence correction videos
And the Veritas prep concept - PAMDAS

Coupled with practice.

For RC do a lot of these. Ten per day, get used to English text if you found the q's tough during the exam after you review the basics try tough questions.

I hope it helps ! You need to be strong now ! I am sure you will score better next time !

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
GMAT Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 11:47
Shruti07 wrote:
saswata4s

Yeah, I know the concepts.I am not good at time management and stress management I guess!
I found verbal in real GMAT to be tougher than GMATprep.

I don't know which source to refer to now, because I have done it all! :(

Just go to the GMATCLUB question bank and search only GMATPREP questions. I believe you'll still see some new questions. If I were you, I would review the GMATPREP SC questions(already answered ones. Hope you have attempted all QP1, EP1, EP2 questions) and try 5-10 CR questions everyday, especially weaken, strengthen, assumption & evaluate the argument(they account for 90-95% CR questions).

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Re: How to improve verbal score within 10 days   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 11:47

How to improve verbal score within 10 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap