Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:02 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1436 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8834 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: How to start GMAT preparation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Niharika Sharma,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study - and that information is essential to putting together the most effective Study Plan possible for you. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Niharik Sharm,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Since you are just starting out with your GMAT prep I do agree that it would be helpful to take a full length GMAC practice exam to get a baseline score. I see that you are nervous about how you may score; however, remember, this is just to get a baseline and then you can move forward from there.

Regarding prep materials, in addition to seeking advice in this thread, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses, and also read through some GMAT success stories to see what materials have worked well for other test-takers.

Also, would you like some general advice on how to improve your verbal and quant skills?

Lastly, you may find it helpful to read the following articles:

how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

How to Study for the GMAT While Working in a Demanding Job
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2225 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'm also looking for the answer too. The balance between work and study plans become so helpful to me.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
anadybella wrote:
I'm also looking for the answer too. The balance between work and study plans become so helpful to me.

Hi anadybella,

You will likely receive more of a response if you start your own post-thread (instead of piggy-backing on this one). You should also provide any relevant information about your studies so far and your goals. For example:

Studies:
1) Have you done any studying so far or are you just beginning?
2) What study materials do you currently have access to?
3) Have you taken any practice CATs/mocks yet - and if so, then on what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you would rather not post any of that information publicly, then you can feel free to PM me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 310 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Niharika,

Your question on how to manage work and GMAT preparation is so relevant during the current times. With everyone working from home, the line between personal life and work-life has blurred.

Let me answer your first question. You don't have to take the exams right away if you are not confident. You can start your GMAT preparation using the OG and take the mock test later. It sii perfectly fine. :)

And since you are trying to figure out how to manage your work and GMAT preparation, here are a few tips that I would like to share with you:

1. Have a study plan that you can follow. This will help you stay on track.
2. Don't try to study for the GMAT all the time. When you're working, don't think about the GMAT. Focus on your work.
3. Track your productivity on a daily basis. This will keep you motivated.
4. Have an accountability partner. This can be anyone -- your mother, your best friend, your spouse -- who knows your GMAT goal as well as you do.

There are definitely more things that you can do to ensure that you manage your GMAT preparation along with your work. Please check them out and let me know what you think about them.

Hope these points help you prepare for the GMAT better. :)
GMAT Club Bot