Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:06 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [2]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [2]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: I asked ChatGPT to write an MBA admissions essay. Here's what it wrote [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
We have tried writing both LOR's and HBS Essay with Chat GPT and it has done an excellent job with minimum input providing a very usable carcass or framework for the essay. It has done an excellent job of doing a strong intro, strong conclusion (albeit perhaps a tad stereotypical). However, 80% of the product was usable and it would save a significant amount of time on drafting and rewriting. I would say it could save up to 80-90% of time on drafting the first essay draft.

The challenge I think is that it may do a good enough job that someone may end up not really going deep, settling for superficial really good sounding essay without a whole lot of personal touch.... will be funny when people submit multiple versions of the same essay. With 6-10K people applying to HBS, I can see them getting hundreds copies of it :angel:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [1]
Given Kudos: 238
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I asked ChatGPT to write an MBA admissions essay. Here's what it wrote [#permalink]
Kudos
ChatGTP can help answer more straightforward questions from other parts of the application (non-essay) effectively/professionally.
For example, one can write 3-4 sentences about why he left one of his roles.
Give those inputs with instructions to limit them to 200 chars.
ChatGTP will bring it to 175/225 chars.

The above 4 lines are 312 chars. I just used ChatGTP to get the below which can be further improved by the applicant to sound personal.

ChatGTP can assist with non-essay questions. For example, share why you left a job in 3-4 sentences. Limit to 200 chars, ChatGTP will trim to 175/225 chars.
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Send PM
Re: I asked ChatGPT to write an MBA admissions essay. Here's what it wrote [#permalink]
bb wrote:
We have tried writing both LOR's and HBS Essay with Chat GPT and it has done an excellent job with minimum input providing a very usable carcass or framework for the essay. It has done an excellent job of doing a strong intro, strong conclusion (albeit perhaps a tad stereotypical). However, 80% of the product was usable and it would save a significant amount of time on drafting and rewriting. I would say it could save up to 80-90% of time on drafting the first essay draft.

The challenge I think is that it may do a good enough job that someone may end up not really going deep, settling for superficial really good sounding essay without a whole lot of personal touch.... will be funny when people submit multiple versions of the same essay. With 6-10K people applying to HBS, I can see them getting hundreds copies of it :angel:

I think if we see enough ChatGPT writing in a narrow context (MBA essays), you may be able to identify certain "tells" that make it probable or even highly likely - but never definitive obviously.

Amongst musicians, this has been shared recently - a quiz as to whether you can tell whether it was human or AI music: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/ ... /101967746

(I got 8/10 btw) - mind you, I had prior experience already having been through Google's Github recently where it published Music LM about AI music with samples.
In any case there are certain technical, sonic "tells" that can reveal a high chance it's AI, for now because of its technical limitations. But those limitations are temporary and it's only going to get a lot better - how fast or slow it can learn is what's hard to gauge (at least for layman who aren't AI researchers I guess).
Sort of like how with a lot of the AI art, the one thing AI can't illustrate well for whatever reason are hands and fingers - but for those who are learning to draw (or remembered when they were beginners at drawing), drawing hands and fingers well was one of the hardest aspects.

Anyhow, great reconnecting again! Hope you're doing well and I saw your message (it's been a while since I logged in here). Hope your family and friends are safe.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32896 [0]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
I asked ChatGPT to write an MBA admissions essay. Here's what it wrote [#permalink]
Top Contributor
bb wrote:

I was not aware to be "usable" in this new tool for which the internet is going nut. :upsidedown :upsidedown

I tried instead to see if it was able to generate some good text completion sentences for the GRE, and it did not know even what I am talking about; giving me back "there is an error" please contact our staff :facepalm_man:

However, after more attempts, it gave to me at least the definition of what they are and an example of an old version of TC contained in the Big Book :-P

Attachment:
screenshot.1198.jpg
screenshot.1198.jpg [ 55.82 KiB | Viewed 8814 times ]
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
FYI - it seems the chatGPT has been scaled back a bit when writing essays and things like that (noticed it while testing this week for HBS essay) and instead of writing an essay, it gave me a list of tips :lol:

I have tweaked the prompt and it said "you should not use or copy this essay" so it seems there are attempts to scale it back somewhat or perhaps make it less transparent. It still worked and generated an essay when I adjusted the prompt... I guess one step at a time but a pretty amazing quality of essay. Spending an hour adjust prompts or even starting with a draft can significantly enhance the quality of writing (I sound like it already :lol:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I can understand the mix of reactions to a technology like ChatGPT. On one hand, it does seem to represent a major inflection point in AI capabilities. The idea of having relatively coherent conversations with an AI system feels like science fiction becoming reality. At the same time, it's healthy to maintain some skepticism and think critically about limitations. While impressive in certain areas, ChatGPT doesn't actually think or learn like a human. It's still an algorithm reliant on its training data, not true intelligence. [
GMAT Club Bot