It is currently 24 Aug 2017, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have one question for Johnson students, alumni and applicants?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

I have one question for Johnson students, alumni and applicants? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2015, 02:53
Should I even bother applying?

Undergrad: Second Tier Ivy (Cornell, Brown, Upenn). Graduation date: 2013
BA: Political Science (International Politics focus); GPA: 3.67, Cumulative GPA: 3.60
GMAT: 720
Econ/Math/Finance: Just Principles of Econ in undergrad, and three "political economy" like classes (3As, 1 B. I was actually a quant guy before undergrad, so I am currently refreshing my math with the hope of taking Micro,Macro, and Multivariable Calc before I apply in November. Is the Calc necessary?
Work Experience: excluding undergrad internships: 1.75 at public sector consulting (doing a great deal of international disarmament/pandemic relief work; (think Deloitte, Accenture, Booz Allen). Prior internship at Bulge Bracket IB.
Leadership: Mentor to national youth development program, pro-bono nonprofit consultant.
Recommendations: 1 professor, 2 supervisors/bosses
Language: Proficient in Spanish, Beginner in French

Last edited by nicholasbentham on 08 Jul 2015, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 350 [0], given: 109

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: I have one question for Johnson students, alumni and applicants? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2015, 03:56
nicholasbentham wrote:

BA: Political Science (International Politics focus); GPA: 3.67, Cumulative GPA: 3.60
Econ/Math/Finance: Just Principles of Econ in undergrad, and three "political economy" like classes (3As, 1 B. I was actually a quant guy before undergrad, so I am currently refreshing my math with the hope of taking Micro,Macro, and Multivariable Calc before I apply in November. Is the Calc necessary?
Work Experience: excluding undergrad internships: 1.75 at public sector consulting (doing a great deal of international disarmament/pandemic relief work; (think Deloitte, Accenture, Booz Allen). Prior internship at Bulge Bracket IB.
Leadership: Mentor to national youth development program, pro-bono nonprofit consultant.
Ethnicity: Black Male (A did not check this box when I applied to undergrad. But considering the competitiveness of this program, I am considering doing so if it will improve my application by a discernible degree).

Are you asking because you're not sure if you'll get in? You have the stats to apply to most top programs including Johnson. You've checked that box for them, and they won't be overly worried about you academic ability. (3.6 from peer school, 720 gmat). Also, You worked in consulting at one of the feeder companies. If your fear is due to your limited experience, don't worry... You should know 2 years is pretty common for consulting b-school apps. So congrats, you check those boxes.

Now it's all about convincing adcom that you both need an mba to achieve your goals, and that Johnson is the best place for you to do that. With Johnson fit is huge, so I'd visit if possible.
Good luck!

Kudos [?]: 350 [0], given: 109

Current Student

Re: I have one question for Johnson students, alumni and applicants? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 20:40
highwyre237 wrote:
nicholasbentham wrote:

Ethnicity: Black Male (A did not check this box when I applied to undergrad. But considering the competitiveness of this program, I am considering doing so if it will improve my application by a discernible degree).

Are you asking because you're not sure if you'll get in? You have the stats to apply to most top programs including Johnson. You've checked that box for them, and they won't be overly worried about you academic ability. (3.6 from peer school, 720 gmat). Also, You worked in consulting at one of the feeder companies. If your fear is due to your limited experience, don't worry... You should know 2 years is pretty common for consulting b-school apps. So congrats, you check those boxes.

Now it's all about convincing adcom that you both need an mba to achieve your goals, and that Johnson is the best place for you to do that. With Johnson fit is huge, so I'd visit if possible.
Good luck!

Thanks again for the response. much appreciated.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 10:43
Your stats are very competitive. write strong essays and interview well!

-current Johnson student

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 10:55
Dont have enough experience ..
you can wait for another 3 years and apply for HSW

Coach MBA
MBA Advisory Services
http://www.coach-mba.com/

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 13:51
Wait 2 - 3 more yrs and apply to an m7. If you want the small school experience, try Tuck or Yale SOM. You'll get more out of a better program than Johnson and have the background to get in.

nicholasbentham wrote:

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: I have one question for Johnson students, alumni and applicants?   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2015, 13:51