GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Feb 2020, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

I have seldom felt so proud of being a representative of the people as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 7: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
I have seldom felt so proud of being a representative of the people as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Oct 2019, 21:54
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 129 sessions

73% (03:08) correct 27% (02:51) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 136 sessions

70% (01:07) correct 30% (01:08) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 131 sessions

50% (01:19) correct 50% (01:21) wrong

New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Passage # 323, Date : 11-Sep-2019
This post is a part of New Project RC Butler 2019. Click here for Details

I have seldom felt so proud of being a representative of the people as now, when it gives me an opportunity to advocate a cause which cannot be represented or defended in this chamber by those directly and particularly affected by it, owing to the leven of prejudice that the beliefs and ideas of the past have left in the mind of modern man. The cause of female suffrage is one sure to strike a sympathetic chord in every unprejudiced man, because it represents the cause of a set of people who, deprived of the means to defend themselves, are compelled to throw themselves upon the mercy of another set of people.

But it is not on this account alone that this cause has my sympathy and appeals to me. It also has the irresistible attraction of truth and justice, which no open and liberal mind can deny. If our action as legislators must be inspired by the eternal sources of right, if the laws passed here must comply with the divine precept to give everybody his due, then we cannot deny women the right to vote, because to do so would be to prove false all the precepts and achievements of democracy and liberty which have made this century what may be properly called the century of vindication.

Female suffrage is a reform demanded by the social conditions of our times, by the high culture of woman, and by the aspiration of all classes of society to organize and work for the interests they have in common. We cannot detain the celestial bodies in their course; neither can we check any of those moral movements that gravitate with irresistible force towards their center of attraction: Justice. The moral world is governed by the same laws as the physical world, and all the power of man being impotent to suppress a single molecule of the spaces required for the gravitation of the universe, it is still less able to prevent the generation of the ideas that take shape in the mind and strive to attain to fruition in the field of life and reality.

1. What is the passage primarily concerned with?
(A) Pointing out fallacies in the argument of one particular group
(B) Providing reasons in support of an assertion
(C) Discussing how two groups of people have been unjustly treated in the past
(D) Highlighting an analogy between celestial bodies and a group of people
(E) Stating the prerequisites of a liberal mind

2. Which of the following, does the passage imply, could be a characteristic of a liberal mind?

(A) It does not favour the rights of men over those of women.
(B) It offers tacit support to the forces of democracy.
(C) It provides every human being the opportunity to defend itself.
(D) It supports what is true and just.
(E) It cannot change the course of celestial bodies.

3. Why does the author mention ‘celestial bodies’ in the passage?

(A) To state how the cause of legalizing women suffrage was as difficult as detaining the course of celestial bodies
(B) To point out a similarity between celestial bodies and moral movements
(C) To state that celestial bodies are also governed by the laws of justice
(D) To conclude that celestial bodies have a centre of attraction that they eventually gravitate towards
(E) To assert that man has no control over the movement of the celestial bodies

Originally posted by dcummins on 04 Jun 2019, 21:59.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 10 Oct 2019, 21:54, edited 2 times in total.
Updated - Complete topic (925).
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: I have seldom felt so proud of being a representative of the people as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 03:16
Hi Bunuel , I will attempt:
7minutes; 3/3 correct.
Question wise explanation:

1. What is the passage primarily concerned with?

The passage describes an author's viewpoint on female right to vote (the author is a legislator who is defending the case).

(A) Pointing out fallacies in the argument of one particular group (There is no argument presented in the passage that too of a specific group. Eliminate)
(B) Providing reasons in support of an assertion (Looks most likely, the author is asserts his viewpoint about women's right to vote and also gives reasons for the same. Best choice)
(C) Discussing how two groups of people have been unjustly treated in the past (there are no specific two groups mentioned. Eliminate)
(D) Highlighting an analogy between celestial bodies and a group of people (too narrow, its only used as an analogy. Eliminate)
(E) Stating the prerequisites of a liberal mind (prerequisites are not mentioned anywhere. eliminate)

2. Which of the following, does the passage imply, could be a characteristic of a liberal mind?
(A) It does not favour the rights of men over those of women. (not mentioned as such in the passage. Eliminate)
(B) It offers tacit support to the forces of democracy. (passage does talk about democracy but not about its forces. eliminate)
(C) It provides every human being the opportunity to defend itself. (the passage talks specifically about a group i.e. women not every human being. eliminate)
(D) It supports what is true and just. (explicitly mentioned in para 2 line 3. Best choice)
(E) It cannot change the course of celestial bodies. (too much of inference, celestial bodies are mentioned to present an analogy. Eliminate)

3. Why does the author mention ‘celestial bodies’ in the passage?

We have to carefully read para 3 lines 4 to 8. Author says that The moral world is governed by the same laws as the physical world. Therefore, celestial bodies are discussed in order to show similarities between celestial bodies and moral movements.

(A) To state how the cause of legalizing women suffrage was as difficult as detaining the course of celestial bodies (this is not for what the analogy is given. Eliminate)
(B) To point out a similarity between celestial bodies and moral movements (Yes indeed. Best choice)
(C) To state that celestial bodies are also governed by the laws of justice (whoa. No please. Eliminate)
(D) To conclude that celestial bodies have a centre of attraction that they eventually gravitate towards (yes they do, but this is not the purpose of analogy. Eliminate)
(E) To assert that man has no control over the movement of the celestial bodies (yes true but not implicit in the meaning of the analogy in Q. Eliminate)
Senior RC Moderator
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
GPA: 3.62
Re: I have seldom felt so proud of being a representative of the people as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2020, 00:55
GMAT Club Bot
Re: I have seldom felt so proud of being a representative of the people as   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2020, 00:55

I have seldom felt so proud of being a representative of the people as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics