GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 02:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

I let stress get the best of me, need advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
I let stress get the best of me, need advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Nov 2018, 01:01
deleted

Originally posted by elti on 08 Oct 2018, 08:32.
Last edited by elti on 20 Nov 2018, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: I let stress get the best of me, need advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 09:18
Hey hi,
Don't be discouraged it seems like you have been scoring well in your mocks so its best to give the Gmat again in probably better conditions and hopefully you should do well in the second attempt
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 14:44
Hi elti,

First off, a 700/Q48 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is probably not necessary. There's certainly no harm in retesting though - and from what you describe, you were not at your best (no one would perform at their peak after just 1 hour of sleep the night before and the resulting concentration 'issues' you described).

Before you decide either way, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and application plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 18:37
Congratulations!! 700 is a good score, you should celebrate.

I think the most important thing will be for you think of the real test just as every other test that you took as practice. I know it is easier said then done. But you just need to not allow the real test to weigh so much on your list of priorities. It is not the end, if the test doesn't go as planned. Be prepared for any outcome & make up your mind, that no matter what happens, your life will carry on unaffected.

Think about your loved ones & their support, you know that they will stand by you in thick & thin. There is no better feeling than that.

There is always a retake available. Think of it this way that for most things in life, you don't get a retake. GMAT makes life easier by offering a retake.

Also taking your practice in near identical conditions as the real test, does help. For my practice tests, i booked a private room in a co-working facility & simulated the exact conditions. Nonetheless my real test f'ed up because of software issues, so you can't really plan for everything.

Only thing you can do is knowing within yourself, that YOU are bigger than the test.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
GyM
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 22:40
The idea of GMAT test centres are scary, with their super strict policies and palm scans.
Once your initial disappointment is over, you may be able to go in with confidence now that you have some experience with their procedures. That CAT is merely a CAT.
Good luck.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 08:37
Thank you all for your kind words and support.
The score itself not as disappointing as the fact that I didn't perform at my best - I am sure you can all relate to this feeling.
I booked another test next month, leaving me enough time to rest and then switch back to top gear.

Cheers
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 09:44
Hi elti,

First off, 700 is a really solid score! I understand that your score has dropped a bit from your practice exams, but it’s still a great score.

Based on your debrief, it’s clear that stress, nerves, and lack of sleep negatively affected your performance on test day. Regarding your study routine, I don’t think you need to make any drastic changes. Clearly, what you’ve been doing has allowed you to get to a high level in verbal and quant. The biggest key for your GMAT success is to keep your anxiety at bay. One great way to do so is to develop a positive attitude and be confident. Look, you’ve scored 720+ on multiple practice GMATs, right? So, look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are pretty damn good at the GMAT!

To help manage your nerves, you could try some visualization techniques. Imagine various test-day scenarios such as getting stuck on a question, issues in the testing center, feeling pressed for time, or worrying that you’re underperforming. As you feel your stress responses start to kick in when thinking about these things, practice pulling yourself together and visualize focusing on getting correct answers.

When taking the GMAT, the best way to deal with stress is to get busy answering the question in front of you, focusing completely on the task at hand so that you redirect all of that nervous energy and naturally calm down. In other words, you distract yourself with a goal. Just tell yourself that all that matters is getting the correct answer to the question in front of you, and then when you have finished that question, take the same attitude toward the next one. Focus on winning each “mini-battle” and you won't have time for anxiety. If you can win enough of those battles, you can win the GMAT war, right?

I wrote an article that provides some more detailed advice about how to limit GMAT anxiety.

Please reach out with any further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: I let stress get the best of me, need advice   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2018, 09:44

I let stress get the best of me, need advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics