GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I need help to improve my score from a 610 to 700+

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
I need help to improve my score from a 610 to 700+ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 22:33
Hi

I have been going through basic maths and some general rules for Verbal section over the last last three months investing about 2-3 hrs a day..

I have taken my first mock GMAT on veritas and scored a 610. Quant 44 and verbal 30.

I want to give my exam in march 2nd week.

Can any one please help me in how i can go about to improve my score.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V46
GPA: 4
Re: I need help to improve my score from a 610 to 700+ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 00:22
luckym wrote:
Hi

I have been going through basic maths and some general rules for Verbal section over the last last three months investing about 2-3 hrs a day..

I have taken my first mock GMAT on veritas and scored a 610. Quant 44 and verbal 30.

Hey there! Your quant score is quite good, it means that you can improve it during these coming months. Your should aim at Q48- Q49 at least, if you want to get a 700+ score. My suggestion would be to go over the basics, theory, and Official Guides. You could also read the Math Book that GMATClub has developed, it's quite helpful. After this, try going section by section and concentrating on the parts where you feel uncomfortable. Solve lot's of problems on GMATClub. One way you can do this is selecting Quantitative Section, then Question Banks. Here you can select the topic and difficulty. Do as many question as you feel necessary until you start getting most of them right and then move to the next topic. This method has worked for me, probably it can work for you as well! For the Verbal section, I can't really give good advice, probably you should also read the theory and know all the rules of SC by heart. Then do lots and lots of practice problems. Hope this helps! Ace the GMAT!! :-) :-) :-)

----------------------------------

Kudos are more than welcome!!! :angel: :angel:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 10:09
Hi,

March second week, it means you are left with six weeks
Quant:
Go through the basics, remember one thing that answering easy questions wrong do more harm to your score. So if you really want to get 650+ you need to be accurate in easy questions and your average time should be 1 min and 15 seconds so that you get enough time for hard questions.
Go through OG and Quant review because official questions are mostly easy to medium, you will see few 700+ quant questions in OG and quant Review.
Once done with OG, you will find directory of questions made by BB. Try to attempt questions as per difficulty level
Gmatclub tests are awesome, i guarantee you that you can score 47 or above by thoroughly doing all tests.
start making your error log and review your mistakes on weekends.
Start giving mock after every 5th day and review it because you are only left with 6 weeks

Verbal
For SC Manhattan SC guide is awesome
Go through all Official questions [OG and verbal guide]
I wont recommend any other source for SC but you can try veritas, Manhattan or Magoosh if you are done with official questions
For CR: CR bible is the best source
Go through all official question, Veritas and Magoosh Cr's are awesome...don't forget to try LSAT CR...it helps
For RC: Just Practice 6 passages daily

luckym wrote:
Hi

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 13:37
Hi luckym,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) Did you takes the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections)?

Goals:
3) What is your exact Test Date?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 20:04
Hi

Studies:
1.I had joined a coaching center to go over basics of both quant and verbal. I have been doing the OG for quant and SC. RC how ever I am unable to actually practice much not getting it to read such lengthy passages. so thats about it for studies.
2.NO I just took the quant and verbal sections.

Goals:
1.I haven't yet registered I wanted to do a couple of more mocks and when I am around 700+. Thought I will go ahead and schedule the exam date.
As of now I am looking at March as my exam date.
2. I am mostly looking for B schools in India .. ie.. any of the IIM's , ISB ..
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 16:31
Hi luckym,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's likely what happened here. Test Day involves a variety of really specific steps and parameters (including steps before the Test even begins - such as leaving your home, traveling, etc.). Every factor matters, including the psychological ones. When you sit down on Test Day, you KNOW that you're going to be in the Computer Lab for about 4 hours - but if you're just taking individual sections (or taking a CAT without the Essay and IR sections), then you KNOW that you'll be done in 1-2 hours. The attitude and energy that you use during practice will NOT be a match for what you'll need on Test Day, so it's not a proper way to practice. By skipping sections, you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' If you did anything else that is not realistic (such as taking the CAT at home or at a different time of day), then the score could be further off.

As such, I suggest that you study as you like for the next week, then take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT under realistic conditions. Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Given what you've described - and your Score Goal - you will likely need at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: I need help to improve my score from a 610 to 700+   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2018, 16:31

I need help to improve my score from a 610 to 700+

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap