Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [3]
Given Kudos: 117
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: I need massive help with Quant [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Needquanthelp
You can PM me regarding help in GMAT quant section. In case you need any help in explanation for any question, please send me link to the question.

Needquanthelp wrote:
I have registered to take the GMAT in 3 months. I have taken 3 tests to gauge where I'm at. I took all of the tests under normal test conditions with no pausing and sub 8 minute break. I've tried doing quantitative first and verbal first and that has not affected my scores. I want to maximize my GMAT results. What to do about quantitative though? I am tempted to only study quantitative from here on out. I need a plan. I'm worried about going all in on Manhattan GMAT books. The foundations of math book is very long. I'm just trying to get thoughts on a possible study plan. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have access to the following materials:
Kaplan Q Bank
Magoosh Bank (Verbal Questions Cashed)
GMAT 6 Official Tests & Question Bank
Manhattan Books

My comments on material:

Magoosh was awesome for critical reasoning and reading. Kaplan was very good for reading tips. Magoosh math is just too much for me right now. The explanations are so long. I tried around 130 math questions with Magoosh. For Kaplan I've tried roughly 300 or so math problems. I like the Kaplan explanations much better than Magoosh's explanations. GMAT official prep explanations are lacking. I think I need something more basic to start with.

Kaplan Practice Test:
Last year 610: Verbal 39; Quantitative 35
Breakdown:

Verbal:
Critical Reasoning 78%
Reading Comprehension 77%
Sentence Correction 54%

Algebra 17%
Arithmetic 57%
Geometry 50%
Number Properties 50%
Proportions 50%
Statistics 50%

Official GMAT Math Scores:

January 29, 2021: 560; Verbal 41; Quantitative 25

Verbal Breakdown: 28/36
Sentence Correction: 6 Incorrect
Reading: 0 Incorrect
Critical Reasoning: 1 Incorrect

Quantitative Breakdown: 15/31 Questions Correct

March 5, 2021: 530; Verbal 40; Quantitative 22
Sentence Correction: 5 Incorrect
Reading: 1 Incorrect
Critical Reasoning: 2 Incorrect

Quantitative Breakdown: 12/31
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31873 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: I need massive help with Quant [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi
To improve on a thing, one should know the weak areas. As you have given breakdown of quant, it seems Algebra is the weakest and there is a lot of scope of improvement in all sub topics.
I would advise the following
1) The GMATCLUB is a lovely source of knowledge, and you can find theory and questions of different difficulty levels in almost all topics. Make use of the forum, use search button, ask your doubts and you will find a lot of help here. It may be sufficient on its own.
2) However, if after a few days, you still find yourself struck at certain level, then look at the replies by various institutes or experts. Don’t go merely by the reviews. But look at the posts that you find are written in a way that helps you. You can go for courses, if you are someone who can analyse own weaknesses and can improve upon them. If you are someone who needs interactive sessions and need help in analysing your weak spots, you may require a tutor.

But, choosing a course or a tutor is something that should be thought of after you have spent some days and utilised this forum judiciously.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
I need massive help with Quant [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Needquanthelp,

Welcome to the GMAT Club. It is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, etc.

Learning is a continuous process, and it shines with practice. Math is a very tricky subject that is easy to understand and difficult to apply.

Success in GMAT Math is entirely based on vital concepts, rigorous practice, complete knowledge of math question types and patterns, quick approaches, and time-management.

Many test aspirants are unhappy with their initial practice test scores. We have observed that this is due to either lack of a detailed study plan or some unreliable resources.

We have also observed that the test takers are not aware of the GMAT pattern, which is indeed a must to know before the start of the preparation.

A discipline line of action is required. After observing the score you have mentioned and adding my experience, I can make a statement that the basics are not in place, which is one reason for the low score. Also, the way of learning the topics, practicing questions, and taking guidance from experts is questionable.

A couple of things that can be a noticeable barrier to your scores would be some or all of the below.

• Lack of basic math skills
• Not detailed knowledge of GMAT Math pattern and Question types
• Inefficiency by using time-consuming Conventional method to tackle DS and PS questions still
• No expert support (maybe) who can tutor, analyze, and guide you during your learning
• Lack of many updated questions and practice in the recent exam trend
• Not well aligned with time to solve questions.

You can try our free diagnostic test https://www.mathrevolution.com/diagnostic/dtExamMember and receive a comprehensive study guide by topic. This test will clearly help you understand your weak areas.

You can schedule a Comprehensive counseling(https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session) session for 30 mins with one of our experts to have detailed advice on your current study plans.

We recommend that you learn the Variable Approach for solving DS questions and the IVY approach for solving PS questions to improve your accuracy and save time while solving the question types.[/b][/color]

The most important thing for you will be learning and commanding the Variable Approach for DS questions and IVY Approach for PS questions. These approaches are the robust self-designed time-saving techniques that will help you learn efficiently, thus raising your score in the quick nick of time.

Register with MathRevolution https://www.mathrevolution.com/member/signup to get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons.

Start with the learning of the concepts. Make detailed notes so that you can revise them 3 days before your official GMAT test.

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve your target score. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

Adding to the same, mastery of the Variable Approach to solve DS questions and the IVY approach to solve PS questions would add a feather to the cap. Below is the useful link we will recommend you to visit on GMAT club to experience the power of DS and IVY approaches:

Ultimate Q51 guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate ... l#p1613600

Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1641411

Check the practice section and try solving very easy and easy category questions on the prepared topic. You may also connect with one of our experts to get one of the best tutoring supports, which will help you understand the topic(s) and solve questions and learn how to manage time and accuracy.

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time-management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com.

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Punit Joshi
Math Revolution Team
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Needquanthelp wrote:
I have registered to take the GMAT in 3 months. I have taken 3 tests to gauge where I'm at. I took all of the tests under normal test conditions with no pausing and sub 8 minute break. I've tried doing quantitative first and verbal first and that has not affected my scores. I want to maximize my GMAT results. What to do about quantitative though? I am tempted to only study quantitative from here on out. I need a plan. I'm worried about going all in on Manhattan GMAT books. The foundations of math book is very long. I'm just trying to get thoughts on a possible study plan. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have access to the following materials:
Kaplan Q Bank
Magoosh Bank (Verbal Questions Cashed)
GMAT 6 Official Tests & Question Bank
Manhattan Books

My comments on material:

Magoosh was awesome for critical reasoning and reading. Kaplan was very good for reading tips. Magoosh math is just too much for me right now. The explanations are so long. I tried around 130 math questions with Magoosh. For Kaplan I've tried roughly 300 or so math problems. I like the Kaplan explanations much better than Magoosh's explanations. GMAT official prep explanations are lacking. I think I need something more basic to start with.

Kaplan Practice Test:
Last year 610: Verbal 39; Quantitative 35
Breakdown:

Verbal:
Critical Reasoning 78%
Reading Comprehension 77%
Sentence Correction 54%

Algebra 17%
Arithmetic 57%
Geometry 50%
Number Properties 50%
Proportions 50%
Statistics 50%

Official GMAT Math Scores:

January 29, 2021: 560; Verbal 41; Quantitative 25

Sentence Correction: 6 Incorrect
Reading: 0 Incorrect
Critical Reasoning: 1 Incorrect

Quantitative Breakdown: 15/31 Questions Correct

March 5, 2021: 530; Verbal 40; Quantitative 22
Sentence Correction: 5 Incorrect
Reading: 1 Incorrect
Critical Reasoning: 2 Incorrect

Quantitative Breakdown: 12/31

Hi Needquanthelp,

Lack of structure is the most common reason most students aren't able to achieve their dream score. And the other common reason is not doing the prep in the right way. Before you start preparing for GMAT, it's important that you understand the structure of GMAT and how to go about it's preparation. If you are in a misconception that just learning the concepts and practicing questions will help you score well on GMAT, then I'm afraid that's not the right way to prepare. GMAT tests a lot more than just the conceptual skills. It tests your application skills along with the conceptual knowledge.

The right way to go about it:

So, your focus while preparing has to be more on learning the right methodology to solve questions. The better your application skills are, the better your performance will be. So, from now, I suggest you to follow a structured approach to your GMAT preparation.
  • Identify the topics in which you are weak
  • Identify if it's the concepts or the application of the topic in which you are struggling
  • If it's the concept, then revisit the concepts of that topic and make sure you understand perfectly this time
  • If it's the methodology, then analyze the solutions of the questions of that topic in depth

This is how you should work on your weak areas. Having said that, I would not suggest just focusing on Quant. That will have a negative effect on your Verbal section. Have a proper study plan and dedicate ample time to both the sections. As you are majorly struggling with quant, dedicate 60% of your time for Quant and the remaining time for Verbal.

And do not shuffle across multiple resources. It's always better to stick to one good resource and learn the methodology taught by that. And focus more on the process than on practicing questions. If you feel that you need a standard resource which can help you to learn the right methodologies and to work on your weak areas, you can check out GMATWhiz online course. It has a very detailed explanation for every question and focuses more on the application part.

Meanwhile, you can also attend our free webinar series that we are currently running to learn a few strategies that will help you solve questions in a methodical way. You can register for the webinar series using the below link.

Registration Link: Click here

To suggest you in a better way, I would need a little more background about your GMAT study strategy, your weak areas and the way you approach questions. This will help me understand your concerns and guide you in a better way. We can get in touch over a call and have a detailed discussion on the same. You can use the below link to get in touch with me.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot