GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 16:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

[Profile Review] I would like some advice on how to standout (R4 app)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Oxford "21 (S)
[Profile Review] I would like some advice on how to standout (R4 app)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2020, 11:20
I need a profile review from an unbiased outside source because I have so many doubts creeping in as I'm working on my applications, feeling like I am wasting my time. Any thoughts on what to emphasize, improve is appreciated.

Background

Work experience: 5 years as a solutions architect at three tech companies with multiple promotions. I have a record annual revenue generation for my current company upwards of 1M during the first year.

Extracurriculars: Did research for NASA and USDoD, Varsity Rowing (Captain), Currently working on a nonprofit side project

Undergrad school/major: Mid-tier private school in the North East/ Physics

Other education/coursework:
Dual degree in Electrical Engineering, Full academic scholarship (should I mention this?)

Race/nationality: Mix race (Asian and White)

Sex: F

Stats

GMAT Score (include breakdown!): 710 (I am retaking it later this month)

Undergrad GPA: 3.66 (cum laude)

MBA Info

The goal of MBA: Either move into a leadership role in tech solutions or focus on my side project and turn it into a full-fledged business (entrepreneurship)

Target schools: Kellogg, Cornell, Oxford
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.79
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
Re: [Profile Review] I would like some advice on how to standout (R4 app)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2020, 19:10
Good day! I'm not a professional admissions consultant but I'm basing my judgement on my own admittance and those of my peers in Oxbridge. As I applied to only 1-year UK schools, I'm providing my insights from only that lens. Perhaps others can chip in. Further, I'm writing without knowing the quality of your essays or your interviewing skills.

All that being said, your background shows great career trajectory and employability - things that the adcoms would be happy to see. There is also no doubt on your academic prowess looking at your GMAT and quantitative GPA (and yes, scholarships would be a good thing to put in your resume).

If you were to apply in R1 or R2, I'm quite confident that you'd be interviewed and even admitted, but looking at this later stage I am unable to vouch for it. I applied to Oxford as a 660 GMAT and even got a partial bursary in R1 (and a 25k scholardhip from Cambridge) so I think applying in earlier rounds do have benefits. Is it possible that you wait until next year's admissions? If so, i'd wait if I were you.

Posted from my mobile device
INSEAD School Moderator
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: [Profile Review] I would like some advice on how to standout (R4 app)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2020, 07:14
keendemo

I think your profile sounds really solid, even just starting from the perspective of a female in electrical engineering who is working in tech. It's interesting, diminished only slightly by you being half Asian which is obviously overrepresented but it's an interesting profile and I think you'll be successful. I like the extracurriculars, And I like that you have some solid achievements on the board at work.

Cambridge is a bit better than Oxford for entrepreneurship. 710 is obviously not ideal but for Cambridge it's in the zone even if just. If it's important for you to go this year I think it might be worth it to give it a shot. That's one school where I think they still have a good number of slots left and I recently sat in on a webinar where they discussed that they have round 4 scholarships available and I think limited bursary still available as well.

I would normally encourage you to wait but if it's something you want to make happen this year, I think you have a good shot. The question is, do you want to live in the US post-MBA, and will you be able to find alumni if you come back to the states? If you're planning to use this as a launching pad for relocating then it would be a perfect one. But don't recommend going to European business school if you plan to come right back to the US afterwards however.

keendemo wrote:
I need a profile review from an unbiased outside source because I have so many doubts creeping in as I'm working on my applications, feeling like I am wasting my time. Any thoughts on what to emphasize, improve is appreciated.

Background

Work experience: 5 years as a solutions architect at three tech companies with multiple promotions. I have a record annual revenue generation for my current company upwards of 1M during the first year.

Extracurriculars: Did research for NASA and USDoD, Varsity Rowing (Captain), Currently working on a nonprofit side project

Undergrad school/major: Mid-tier private school in the North East/ Physics

Other education/coursework:
Dual degree in Electrical Engineering, Full academic scholarship (should I mention this?)

Race/nationality: Mix race (Asian and White)

Sex: F

Stats

GMAT Score (include breakdown!): 710 (I am retaking it later this month)

Undergrad GPA: 3.66 (cum laude)

MBA Info

The goal of MBA: Either move into a leadership role in tech solutions or focus on my side project and turn it into a full-fledged business (entrepreneurship)

Target schools: Kellogg, Cornell, Oxford

Re: [Profile Review] I would like some advice on how to standout (R4 app)   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2020, 07:14

[Profile Review] I would like some advice on how to standout (R4 app)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: sunmoon, nvdmurty