GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 12:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

IE MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
2018 Best MBAs: Sonia Sahni, IE Business School  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 04:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: 2018 Best MBAs: Sonia Sahni, IE Business School
“An eternal optimist who believes that every problem comes with many solutions.”

As feautured inPOETS & QUANTS Best & Brightest 2018

Hometown: Mumbai, India

Fun fact about yourself: I am bitten by wanderlust and have travelled to more than 40 countries.

Undergraduate School and Degree: Bachelor’s in Engineering, University of Pune, India

Where did you work before enrolling in business school?

• Ticking the Bucketlist, India- Founder
  • Yes Bank Limited, India – Senior Vice President, Strategic Accounts
  • GE Capital, India – Asst Vice President, Corporate Accounts
  • ABN AMRO India/Middle East – Relationship Manager, Corporate Banking
Where will you be working after graduation? After a decade long career as a corporate banker, in 2016, I founded my company in the travel space to cater to the needs of the Indian woman traveller, as many Indian women are now educated and financially independent, but it does not mean true empowerment. They are not free ‘to do whatever they want,’ including travelling alone. Travel becomes an expression of freedom, but the patriarchal social structure does not give a solo woman the confidence to travel. When an Indian woman wants to travel, she looks for like-minded company. Often, she is unable to find company due to various reasons – different interests, financial constraints and vacation time mismatch. If she does find company, lack of travel experience makes planning difficult and time-consuming, making execution of the trip a challenge.

After graduation, I intend to grow my start up to help the Indian woman explore the world.

Community Work and Leadership Roles in Business School: I am an IE ambassador and am closely working with the IMBA team to strengthen the IE brand though following key projects:

Strategy to identify career opportunities in specific geographies: The project is underway and the recruiter network for India is being strengthened to include top tier domestic firms. Considering that only a handful of economies are growing at over 5%, this project becomes crucial to provide students with opportunities to work in a geography that still has a high growth potential.

Road map to organise an international business plan contest, hosted by IE: With an aim to highlight the entrepreneurial spirit of the school, the project tasks include reaching out to sponsors, participants, judges as well as logistics and operations for the event.

As the elected Class Representative, I am the voice of the students in the Start-Up Lab. I act as a bridge between the students who are budding entrepreneurs and the IMBA team to ensure that every student in class in able to access the plethora of facilities provided by the school to make their entrepreneurial dream come true.

Which academic or extracurricular achievement are you most proud of during business school? Academically, I was amongst the top three students from my class in the previous semester and am a strong potential candidate for the Beta Gamma Sigma Society (top 20% of the batch). However, I believe that every day is a learning experience and that grades reflect a very small part of the same. As I worked through unending cases, I realised that my professional experience made certain subjects easier for me to learn as well as to teach to my fellow classmates. I spent weekends teaching lawyers and software engineers how to balance ‘Balance Sheets,’ thus developing more than my pure academic faculties.

My passion for travel made me start a travel blog Ticking the Bucket List a few years ago. Regardless of the demanding schedule at business school, I continued to run the travel blog by writing regularly and made it to the list of the top travel bloggers from India. I was interviewed by local media in India as well as in Pakistan, regardless of the Indo-Pak tension.

What achievement are you most proud of in your professional career? In 2009, as a corporate banker at ABN AMRO Dubai, I handled a portfolio of approximately 50 diamond merchants in the Middle Eastern region. I was assisted by a team of two resources – an operations clerk and a credit analyst. The operations clerk was a lady who was 40 years of age. While, she was very good at her job, I often heard her say ‘I wish I could analyse a balance sheet. I could then be an analyst and send my daughter to a better school’. She was sharp middle-aged woman, who had never had a chance to pursue quality education due to lack to funds. While I was inspired to help her develop as a credit analyst, inspiring her to believe in her own abilities was challenging task.

The situation developed me into a friend, mentor and coach. Together, we chalked out a learning schedule over the weekends and stuck to it with her little baby playing by our side, as we crunched financial ratios. It took 8 months for her to acquire credit writing skills. Over the next few months, she scouted the market, looking for credit analyst roles and soon landed herself the ‘dream job’ of a credit analyst, which tripled her salary. Possibly, this is one of the most satiating ‘achievements’ that I have ever had.

Who was your favorite MBA professor? The marketing mantra states that no business is ever successful if there isn’t a customer who is willing to pay for a product. My marketing professor Ana Rumschisky has given me the ‘secret sauce’ to help me put the above mentioned mantra into practise. Ana has taught me a two pronged approach to marketing, which has made me realise that marketing is as much of an art as it is a science. A marketer needs to have the perfect balance of emotional as well as intellectual quotient. As every human action has an emotional element, Ana taught me to get inside a consumer’s mind and to truly ‘feel’ the needs, wants and desires of a potential customer. She also ignited the logical and rational side of my brain by making me interpret data; ‘Numbers talk to you’, was an oft repeated statement in her class.

Ana has had a successful career with marquees names like Kraft Foods and Gillette, which makes her a knowledge repository of instances that demonstrate marketing successes and failure. She is approachable to all and is eager to teach as well as to learn. Over the past few months, I have developed a bond with her that goes beyond academics; she is now my mentor and I reach out to her whenever I need to discuss new ideas and concepts.

What was your favorite MBA Course? My favourite MBA course was titled ‘Leading People and Teams’, which made me re-look at business situations with people, not mere financial numbers and statistics.

As one progresses though corporate life, it is evident that one’s interpersonal skills become ever so important. Every individual has different strengths, weaknesses, learning abilities and people management skills. The social set up in every organisation requires people interaction. While organisations are mindful of such interactions with external counterparties, many times, they forget the impact that internal interactions can have on the organisation culture, which, at times, determines the success and failure of a business. These dots were linked during the course, which has made me a better negotiator and an even better communicator.

Why did you choose this business school? If you have ever had an entrepreneurial spark in life, IE will ensure that the spark turns into a roaring flame and that you follow your passion, transforming yourself from an employee to an employer.

In 2016, I started my travel company to help Indian women travellers travel across continents. With no background in the tourism space, armed with my passion to travel and my experiences from around the globe, I took the punt. I successfully piloted trips to China, Russia, Kenya and Myanmar. Scaling the business was the next step. While the initial phase was a roller coaster and I enjoyed the ride, I needed a more structured approach to ensure that my venture could indeed root itself in the market. Thus, I was looking for school with a strong entrepreneurial focus that provides me the apt environment and support to dream and execute. IE’s focus on entrepreneurship, which included the ‘customization’ of the MBA for entrepreneurs drew me to the school.

What is your best piece advice to an applicant hoping to get into your school’s MBA program? There is no ‘ideal MBA’ program. Each applicant has different aspirations and hence, different schools appeal to different candidates. Thus, the first step of the MBA application process is introspection to understand one’s skill sets and ambitions. Be true to yourself and aspire to get into a school that has values which resonate with your values. Diversity, humanities, entrepreneurship, technology and innovation are the core value of that school. Instances where an applicant has been able to demonstrate one of more of IE’s core values will surely highlight a natural fitment and inclination to be part of the global IE family.

What is the biggest myth about your school? I had heard that the IE IMBA is for those who think outside the box and challenge conventional ways. It’s true – IE has students that are out of the ordinary, who aspire to create value in the world and are not blinded mere by monetary goals. Diversity and unconventional thinking truly is the soul of the institution.

What was your biggest regret in business school? I came to business school with a strong focus to develop myself as an entrepreneur and laid down goals for the upcoming semester as the course progressed. In the first semester, I concentrated on building a strong academic foundation. The next semester was focused on putting the learnings into practice at IE – internally and externally. I put together an informal group to ensure that students are aware of a plethora of inter-college events and helped form teams of people having complimentary skills sets and interests. I myself took part in international competitions and would be representing IE at Columbia Business School and at HKUST later this year. My line of sight then moved from academics to careers, with dedicated efforts to strengthen the IE brand in India and creating a separate segment in my start up to develop international immersive educational experiences. Thus, I have no regrets on the professional and academic front.

However, if I had to do the IMBA all over again, I would engage myself much more socially with my peers and hop on board more often for various cultural gatherings, especially as IE is home to students from over 70 countries.

Which MBA classmate do you most admire? I met Ines Bescos on the first day of school. She was a bubbling ball of energy, optimistic to the core. Having her around made people laugh and put things at ease. Initially, I liked working with her due to her sheer positivity. I started admiring her after a few weeks in the program when I saw her grit and determination to learn subjects that were out of her comfort zone. She made learning more important than grades. My respect for Ines grew when I saw her shouldering responsibilities above and beyond her peers. Ines took on the responsibility to guide prospective students from Latin America and spent hours counselling young minds. She interacted with the IMBA administration extensively to facilitate the academic learning of her class.

However, my respect for Ines grew multi-fold when I became aware of the fact that she had had a childhood that was very different. She had been through situations that would break down many in my home country, including myself. Yet, here she is – a woman who inspires many. Ines has a spine of steel and the heart of a child. More people like her would make the world a better place.

Who most influenced your decision to pursue business in college? I always believed that I am a people person. B2C businesses drive me and make me tick. However, I spent over a decade in corporate banking – a B2B business. While I did well in the financial services sector, I worked in a space that was not aligned with my natural instincts. A decade later, I was burnt out and decided that it was never too late start again. Hence, I founded my company in the travel space and headed to business school to pursue my dream.

My pillar of strength who stood by me and pushed me to follow my dreams is my husband, Ankur. Not many head for a full time MBA at the age of 37 to be an outlier in class. My husband helped me get over the mindset that I was ‘too old’ to go back to school. While stereotypical Indian males would think twice when their wife would put forth such a proposition, my husband worked tirelessly to arrange for funds and convince my parents. I am blessed to have a him in my life as a friend who knows me better than I know myself.

“If I hadn’t gone to business school, I would be…travelling the world with my backpack.”

If you were a dean for a day, what one thing would you change about the MBA experience? If I were dean for a day, I would change the student mix to admit a higher number of students who are seeking entrepreneurial challenges and dream of starting their own venture, be it technological, consumer-focused or socially-driven. IE is laced with excellent faculty, venture connects and facilities that promote and teach entrepreneurship. Admitting students who are already excited about the entrepreneurial journey will allow them to get the best that IE has to offer and cater to unmet market needs across sectors.

What are the top two items on your bucket list?

• Grow from a start up to an organisation
  • Visit 100 countries in the world
In one sentence, how would you like your peers to remember you? A good human being with a kind heart and a sharp mind.

What would your theme song be? “Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now” by Starship

Favorite vacation spot: Any beach where I can hear the waves and watch the sea and the sky kiss at the horizon

Hobbies? Photography, travelling, writing

What made Sonia such an invaluable addition to the class of 2018?

“It is a great privilege to write a recommendation for Sonia Sahni. Sonia is a truly impressive woman with a remarkable professional background. A true entrepreneur, she went from Senior Vice President of Yes Bank (5th large Private sector bank in India) to launch a start-up on women travel, profitable from the beginning. Just a year later, she started her MBA at IE (her second MBA), and despite her being involved in many extra-curricular activities, she managed to maintain a 3.83 GPA. As class representative, her entrepreneurial and leadership attributes are flourishing, among her peers she is the go-to person for guidance and motivation. In response to anxiety and stress, Sonia was one on the most visible supporters of the “Positive Movement,” which had a remarkable impact amongst her fellow students. She has a tremendous belief in herself and confidence gained from a well-rounded professional background, and it shows as we see her interact with peers and professors, as well as the IE Student Ambassador that she is. Sonia is a stand-out individual that we are certain will continue to do great things in the future and leave a positive mark wherever she goes.”

by Erik Schlie, Associate Dean of the MBA Program, IE Business School

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
Africa Day Conference, 25 May 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 04:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Africa Day Conference, 25 May 2018

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
IE Country Director, Japan, interviews IMBA alumni  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 05:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IE Country Director, Japan, interviews IMBA alumni
“Career, MBA and Dream”

Kaoru Lino: “One day in March, I interviewed four alumni from International MBA who graduated in different years to ask their career path, IE experience and future goals”.

Kaoru Lino is Country Director of IE Business School Japan office and is an alumni of International MBA class of 2008.

Yoshida (pseudonym): My name is Yoshida. I graduated in December 2014. I studied abroad at my own expense after working at a Japanese consulting firm and started a business related to travel right after graduating.

Kurosawa (pseudonym): I also graduated in 2014 and currently work for a foreign e-commerce company. I used to work in sales at a major trading house where we sold piped studied abroad for an MBA for a career change.

Honda (pseudonym): I graduated in 2017. I was involved in auditing at an auditing firm as a certified public accountant, later joined the finance department at a U.S. healthcare company and am now working for a foreign manufacturer.

Murakami (pseudonym): I graduated in 2010. I studied abroad at IE after working for a major trading house and am now in overseas sales for energy at a major Japanese manufacturing business. I’ll be promoted next month to section chief for the Middle East.

Lino: Can you now tell us why you chose IE?

Yoshida: It’s ranked at the top and the courses are for a year. It’s rich in diversity. And it has strengths in entrepreneurship. I went on a school visit, and the deciding factor was that the students were interesting and there were a lot of people who were free.

Kurosawa: IE had the most unique image and its values like entrepreneurship and social responsibility matched my interests. There were a lot of unique and interesting people when I actually met its graduate image like a zoo. ((laugh))

Honda: I questioned the monochronic way of thinking when I worked at a U.S. company where all the decision-making was top-down. Back then, Id other terror organizations were causing incidents across the globe and I was thinking about how you could get along with people with diverse ways of thinking. That’s why I decided on IE, because of its high rate of diversity and that it was for a year.

Murakami: Because I was raised in the U.S., I wanted an MBA from a non-English speaking area. I studied Spanish in high school and college, so I had the ability to read the newspaper. The other decisive factor was that I could get a dual degree from the Fletcher School in Boston. I worked in energy at a trading house and (thought); renewable energy was the next thing. But many of the companies in that field were small, so in case I were to be kicked out, I wanted to obtain the skills to manage to start a business on my own. And because the energy industry is impacted by policy, I wanted to study environmental policy at the Fletcher School.

Kurosawa: Of course, it’s true that I obtained academic knowledge at IE, but what made the strongest impact on me is the strong impression I received that ambitious people abroad not only work and study; they also enjoy life. (My) mindset has changed significantly on work-life balance. And also, the IE intentionality for entrepreneurship. If you have an idea you always receive only positive feedback. It felt like a psychological barrier I’d gone ahead and made in my mind was being removed. I think there are also a lot of people in Japan who have high capacities can do their work but limit their potential by believing that they can’t do something. One of the purposes of getting an MBA was to eliminate my fixed thinking.

Yoshida: Seeing graduated local startups giving presentations at an entrepreneurship event right after I enrolled, at a considerably early stage of (my) MBA, I thought the hurdles for entrepreneurship weren’t as high as I’d thought. Otherwise, there were the Pitch Slams at Area31 each Thursday as we drank beer which was very encouraging that people like them who appeared average at a glance could start businesses.

Honda: Because I always worked in the area of finance, although I was interested in entrepreneurship I never had an opportunity to come into contact with it. That’s why I wanted to study about startups at IE as well. As it turned out, I chose a startup lab, worked together with my Japanese colleague and members from various countries up to the venture lab, and that was where our team received a best innovation prize.

Lino: What were your actual impressions on diversity, which had been mentioned in your reasons for applying?

Murakami: As international as U.S. schools may be said to be, the ratio of foreign students as 20 percent at most. In that sense, the students at IE came from a real variety of countries it was fun that there were no majorities.

Honda: There were a lot of people who were LGBTQs, they had all come out like it was perfectly normal, and there was atmosphere where it was naturally accepted. Out in the global world I gained an acute understanding of the importance of being open-minded. Having lived in Japanese society where people have public fronts, this was my first time to live abroad and I was able to achieve the courage to properly speak my mind.

Lino: What kind of dreamt objectives do all of you have?

Yoshida: The company I started is still small in scale, so I would like to create more hires in about the next ten years. In particular, contributing to regional industries; I’d like to make it so young people who are good will be able to work in regional areas. The travel industry is one receptacle for the service industry. But it still isn’t considered a cool industry. For example, people think that a CA is a cool occupation; I’d like to make tour guided hotel concierge duties occupations that people admire as they do the aviation industry.

Kurosawa: It’s my objective to be able to work and live anywhere. As my next step I would like to work abroad and become able to build my life there and I’d eventually like to start a business. After I settle down a bit after I reach my 40s to my 50s, I’d like to start a yoga business. Not just yoga; not just business, but both, and in English—there aren’t many people like that.                                                                                                                                                Murakami: Because I like work related to energy, I don’t think I’ll move away from energy in the future. There was the impact of my father having been in an energy-related business to begin with, and in the United States there were power outages almost every day. I thought like it was so troublesome not to have energy. There was also a class during college on modern history on the Middle East and it was really interesting. I’ve been in energy ever since. Though it’s a little different since energy is infrastructure-based. I’ll supply everyone with electric power! (laugh)

Honda: I would like to start up an independent business live my life supporting entrepreneurs who have dreams while using my specialized knowledge. And on top of that, I’d like to be requested by name not only in Japan but globally.

Have those of you who have read this group interview up to this point noticed?

All four of the graduates we interviewed were women.

Isn’t it true that when they are talking about their career development through their MBAs, the things that they learned, their objective their dreams, we should turn our attention not to their gender but instead to the unique backgrounds that each of them had their way of thinking? Would you have been able to read this group interview without (being) biased if it said at the beginning that it was a group interview with female graduates?

We must create a time some day when we do not call (people) a female graduate, a female entrepreneur, or a female section chief for the Middle East and instead call them a graduate, an entrepreneur, or a section chief for the Middle East.

At IE, where we embrace diversity, we wrote an article as we have today as a first step for that (purpose).

Manager
Manager
IE Women give a piece of advice #WOMENPASSITON  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 07:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IE Women give a piece of advice #WOMENPASSITON

A Piece of Advice for the Women in Your Field

#WOMENPASSITON

Four inspiring IE Women give a piece of advice to women in business in their respective fields:

Manager
Manager
IMBA Success Stories: Amr Abaza at Microsoft  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 07:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IMBA Success Stories: Amr Abaza at Microsoft

Amr Abaza, an IE Alumni from Cairo, Egypt, always considered himself as a Financier, but what he didn´t know was that starting his studies at IE could be what he defines a “life changing experience”.

Amr obtained his Bachelor Degree in Business Administration and Management with a Finance Concentration at The American University of Cairo. One year later he joined the largest Private Bank in Egypt, The Commercial International Bank of Egypt.

After working for almost four years at CIB, where he started his career in the Financial industry and had the chance to work within both Corporate and Credit departments, in 2016, Amr came to Spain to start the International Master in Business Administration (IMBA).

This experience introduced him into a new world, the Tech field, “because of IE’s start-up and tech focus but also because of the dynamic nature of the industry which changes overnight and requires companies to adapt continuously to those changes” and drove him to start looking for opportunities in the sector.

Amr applied to the Microsoft’s MBA Mach Program and today he works as Licensing Sales Specialist at Microsoft’s Dubai offices. If you want to know more about this perfect example of a successful career shift, keep on reading:

Q: Could you please let us know your job title, the date when you started working in Microsoft and the city where you are based at?

A: I’ve joined Microsoft in March 2017 and I am currently based in Dubai covering the Gulf Region (United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain and Qatar)

Q: Can you please tell us briefly what your previous job was about? Did you make a significant career change on any of those?

A: I started my career in the Financial Services Industry working at the largest Private Bank in Egypt, The Commercial International Bank of Egypt (CIB). I joined them as a Corporate Specialist as part of the Corporate Banking Department. I am a financier by study and this was a great place to start. I progressed in my role and moved to become a Credit Analyst covering Manufacturing and Resources Industries to later become a Senior Financial Analyst in that industry focus.

Then I embarked on my life changing experience at IE Business School. The reason I say that my experience at IE was life changing is because it allowed me to make the most significant career change of all as I changed function, company, industry and geographical location after graduating. I moved from Finance at CIB in the Financial Service Industry in Egypt to Sales & Licensing at Microsoft in the Technology Industry in the Gulf region.

It is anything but easy to land in a new organization, function, industry and market, but it is doable with enough hard work and luck.

Q: Can you please tell us briefly about your new job?

A: I joined Microsoft as part of their MACH MBA program, which stands for Microsoft Academy for College Hires. It is a great program which aims to recruit fresh grads into the company who can bring in energy and new ideas as well as focuses on the development of the candidates until their successful contribution in their new roles.

Microsoft boasts a very inclusive culture where the biggest focus is on learning and growth and I think that’s one of the things that help make new joiners like myself feel both welcome and able to contribute.

I’m currently a Licensing Sales Specialist covering Microsoft’s Enterprise Customers in the Gulf Region focusing on customer in the Financial Services and Manufacturing and Resources industries. This allowed me to capitalize on previous experience in my banking career.

In short, what I do is support Microsoft’s sellers in translating our customer’s software requirements into licensing solutions to enable our customer’s digital transformation journeys. It is a very exciting role from which I can touch and interact with almost all of the business functions at Microsoft and Microsoft’s Enterprise Customers. I would say it’s a role that bridges the gap between Sales and Operations.

Q: Has your personal career strategy always been focused on this job? How does this new job fit into your career strategy?

A: Soon after I started my professional career I realized that I need to be in an organization and a role where my learning curve is constantly upwards sloping, and the steeper the better. I found this in my banking career and am very proud of and grateful to the organization from which I learned so much. I was also able to join IE as an IMBA in January 2016 given my background with that organization.

I started to see technology as an appealing industry shortly after joining IE. Partly this was because of IE’s start-up and tech focus but also because of the dynamic nature of the industry which changes overnight and requires companies to adapt continuously to those changes.

Joining Microsoft was exactly what I was looking for without knowing. The company has a wealth of knowledge to offer and the industry dynamics keeps the flow of new information and learnings coming constantly, so surely it fits in my career strategy.

Q:  How did you find out about this job opportunity? Where did you apply for the job?

A: I remember my last 3-4 months at IE, the pressure was mounting, and the graduation finish line was looming. I remember how worried I was about finding a job post-graduation and how sad I was that my IE experience was coming to an end.

I remember that most if not all of my graduation class felt the same. I remember applying for job opportunities daily and my final count was 284 roles. Yes, 284 job applications submitted and I assure you I was not the job application gold medalist in my class, others I learned had an even more impressive count. I remember all the standard rejection emails I received with the standard “we regret to inform you that we will not be moving forward with your application at this time … etc etc.”. I also remember how those emails made me feel.

I was invited to apply to Microsoft’s MBA Mach Program maybe 3 months into my IMBA year via the Talent and Careers team along with many other IMBA candidates. Undoubtedly, I accepted. In late November, one month before graduation, I started my interview process with Microsoft and after some long and grueling interviews I was accepted.

The irony here is that I ended up in the only role which I did not apply for. Sometimes a little luck is needed with the hard work.

Q: How did Talent & Careers and your IE experience help you during the recruiting process? Did you use specific career resources or did you come across useful information via an Advisor or Alumni?

A: Talent & Careers organized a conference at the time where some of the IMBA students got shortlisted for Microsoft’s MBA MACH program with an IE Alumni who had landed a role in Microsoft Italy. It was great to see someone who’d made it to the other side and it was a great opportunity to ask questions regarding the program, the recruitment and the interviewing process at Microsoft.

I reached out to multiple Alumni who were working for Microsoft and their insight was invaluable to my recruitment process.

The lesson learned here is that the IE community does have each other’s backs. I’ve been approached by multiple aspiring graduates since I’ve joined Microsoft and I will always try to assist them in whatever way I can.

Q: How was the recruiting process: stages, tests, interviews, etc.?

A: The recruitment process was long, started in March 2016 and ended in March 2017 when I got hired. But the actual interviewing process was rather shorter as it kicked off in November 2017.

It is a very standard process including an analytical test and an assessment center until you get to the interviews. The interviews ranged from friendly chats to exhausting and stressful cross examinations. Also, part of the interviews were roleplaying exercise based on MBA MACH candidates suggested track in joining the program (sales, operations, marketing etc..)

Q: Would you want to share any tips or advice with students interested in applying to Microsoft? To your job position in particular?

A: If applying to Microsoft, make sure you come with a growth mindset. The expectation is not that you know everything but rather that you are willing and able to learn anything.

I was hired in Microsoft with virtually no industry, role, market or company knowledge but they tested by ability to learn this. They are looking for driven, coachable, energetic candidates who can be dropped in the ocean and quickly find their way to the nearest shore and I’m sure that IE preps up its students to that.

I would love to have a more 1 on 1 conversation with anyone who is interested in joining Microsoft and hopefully be able to help them in their future careers.

Manager
Manager
EPIC, an initiative launched by IE Global Alumni Relations  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 07:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: EPIC, an initiative launched by IE Global Alumni Relations
EPIC: Extraordinary People Inspiring the IE Community

ABOUT EPIC:
EPIC, an initiative launched by the IE Global Alumni Relations, aims to share the stories of our outstanding alumni across all IE schools (masters and undergraduate programs) to inspire the IE Community.

EPIC stands for Extraordinary People Inspiring the IE Community.

PERSONAL PROGRESS. HUMAN SUCCESS

The IE experience involves a personal and professional transformation process that is ultimately reflected in the achievements of our alumni. Our more than 50,000 alumni contribute to their organizations and the society in more than 120 countries worldwide.

EPIC alumni perform in their personal and professional lives by the same standards of excellence that have been taught at IE’s undergraduate and master programs. Our EPIC alumni are accomplished entrepreneurs, leaders, and role models that show commitment to society and deliver exemplary work in their fields of knowledge throughout the different stages of their lives.

GLOBAL ALUMNI RELATIONS: PERSONAL PROGRESS, HUMAN SUCCESS.

The Global Alumni Relations team creates networking and lifelong learning opportunities for its 50,000 alumni in 120 countries. We support our alumni in their pursuits to keep learning and to continuously innovate personally & professionally. All alumni strive to build the community around a shared philosophy:

• Inspire
  • Empower
  • Co-Create

Manager
Manager
IMBA Open Day – Saturday, 2 June 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 06:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IMBA Open Day – Saturday, 2 June 2018
Click here to Register!

Manager
Manager
IMBA Social Impact lab in South Africa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 07:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IMBA Social Impact lab in South Africa
IE partners with Emzingo to offer the Social Impact Lab in South Africa

The Social Impact Lab is a cross-functional project in which IE Business School collaborates with the leadership development company Emzingo.

The goal of the program is two-fold: to provide students with hands-on and innovative learning opportunities that give them the chance to apply what they learned at IE Business School and participate in a project aimed at improving the welfare of low income communities in South Africa.

More about EMZINGO 

Founded in 2009 at IE Business School’s Venture Lab, Emzingo helps companies create transformative leadership programs that increase employee engagement, create a positive workplace environment, embrace radical transparency and align company incentives with people from all over the world.

Emzingo also works with international academic institutions to promote responsible leadership among students. The programs use social impact projects and a curriculum based in leadership development to enhance participants’ business and entrepreneurial skills through a deeper understanding of the social sector and a more reflective and self-aware business practices.

In 2017, with a community of over 500 alumni and 80 partner organizations, Emzingo U was launched as a branch of the Emzingo brand. Dedicated exclusively to building new partnerships and leveraging long-lasting relationships across the academic spectrum, Emzingo U offers award-winning programs to students everywhere.

Manager
Manager
IE Business School and Oracle educate IMBA students about blockchain t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 04:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IE Business School and Oracle educate IMBA students about blockchain technology
IMBA's Tech Lab

In recent weeks more than 90 students of IE Business School’s International MBA program have been examining the challenges and opportunities brought by blockchain to the corporate world.

The students undertook this particular learning process as part of the first edition of TechLab, an educational program run in collaboration with Oracle that now forms part of IE’s International MBA program.

Over the course of five weeks the students learnt from technology experts about blockchain’s potential in sectors like retail, banking, insurance, tourism and telecommunications. They enjoyed learning by means of tech bites focused on fields like artificial intelligence, big data, Internet of Things, quantum computing and robotics. Students attended workshops on tech foresight, centered around the future of technology from a strategic perspective, and worked on  design thinking. They also developed management methodologies used to apply technology to businesses and analyzed the impact of technological change on business organizations.

During the learning phase TechLab students examined challenges related to how blockchain could generate business opportunities or help enhance business processes. The best projects were presented before a panel of judges made up of directors from Oracle and external experts who evaluated the proposals. The winning  “Tech Disruptor” projects were the following:

1. Overall Winner and Best Project in the Field of Retail Sector:  Project aimed at producing formulas to increase traceability and transparency in a large supermarket group’s supply chain of food.

2.  Finalist and Best Project in the Field of Telecommunications: Project aimed at creating an ecosystem out of the businesses and private clients of a telephone firm by bringing them together using a blockchain network in order for them to enjoy the exchange and consumption of services through collaborative economy techniques.

Winners in other fields:

3. Best Project in the Field of Tourism: Project aimed at creating value for Spain’s Ministry of Energy, Tourism and the Digital Agenda by using blockchain to streamline tax refunds to visitors from abroad.

4. Best Project in the Field of Insurance: Project aimed at adapting the Price of insurance policies to each driver’s profile by using a blockchain network to combine information on sensors installed in the vehicle and data available on the TIREA platform.

5. Best Project in the Field of Banking: Project aimed at creating an ICO (Initial Coin Offerings) formula with the support of an interbank blockchain network.

“We are proud to have collaborated with Oracle in our new TechLab program for MBA students,” says Erik Schlie, Vice Dean of IE Business School’s International MBA. “The ability to serve as agents and build bridges between the worlds of business and technology will be key for our graduates when it comes to leveraging future work opportunities.”

“The International MBA students who take part in TechLab are taught by experts from a range of business sectors,” says Fernando Esteve, Director of IE Business School’s International MBA TechLab. “This permits them to become well grounded in disruptive technologies and enables them to put them into practice to offer solutions to real clients.”

Full article feautured here

Más de 90 alumnos del International MBA de IE Business School han analizado en las últimas semanas los desafíos que plantea el blockchain y las oportunidades que ofrece al mundo empresarial. Los alumnos han participado en el TechLab del International MBA, un proyecto de formación que ha contado en esta primera edición con la colaboración de Oracle.
A lo largo de 5 semanas, los alumnos han recibido formación de expertos tecnológicos sobre el potencial de blockchain en sectores como retail, banca, seguros, turismo y telecomunicaciones. Han disfrutado de ‘tech bites’, píldoras de formación, en áreas como inteligencia artificial, big data, Internet of Things, computación cuántica o robótica. Han asistido a talleres de Tech Foresight, sobre el futuro de la tecnología desde un enfoque estratégico, han trabajado en design thinking, han desarrollado metodologías de gestión para aplicar la tecnología a la empresa y han analizado el impacto del cambio tecnológico en las organizaciones.

Durante la etapa de formación, los alumnos del TechLab han afrontado retos tecnológicos vinculados a blockchain sobre generación de oportunidades de negocio y mejora de procesos. Los mejores equipos han presentado sus proyectos ante un jurado integrado por directivos de Oracle y expertos externos que han evaluado la calidad y viabilidad de las propuestas.

Los proyectos ganadores ‘Tech Disruptor’ han sido:

• Ganador del Certamen y Mejor Proyecto del Sector Retail: Proyecto que plantea fórmulas para aumentar la trazabilidad y la trasparencia en la cadena de suministro de alimentación de una gran cadena de supermercados.
  • Finalista del Certamen y Mejor Proyecto del Sector Telecomunicaciones: Proyecto que propone un ecosistema de empresas y clientes particulares de un operador telefónico unidos mediante una red blockchain para disfrutar del intercambio y consumo de servicios con técnicas de economía colaborativa. Proyecto ganador en la categoría telecomunicaciones y finalista del certamen.

Proyectos premiados en otros sectores:
  • Mejor Proyecto Sector Turismo: Proyecto de generación de valor para el Ministerio de Energía, Turismo y Agenda Digital español, a través de la utilización de blockchain para el reembolso de impuestos a viajeros.
  • Mejor Proyecto Sector Seguros: Proyecto para adaptar el precio de las pólizas de seguros al perfil de cada conductor mediante la utilización de una red blockchain donde combinar información de sensores instalados en los vehículos y los datos disponibles en la plataforma TIREA.
  • Mejor Proyecto Sector Banca: Proyecto que propone una fórmula de ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings) con el respaldo de una red blockchain interbancaria.
“Estamos muy orgullosos de haber colaborado con Oracle en el nuevo TechLab para nuestros alumnos MBA. La habilidad de actuar como interlocutores y construir puentes entre los mundos de los negocios y las tecnologías será la clave para las futuras oportunidades laborales de nuestros graduados”, señala Erik Schlie, Vice Decano del International MBA de IE Business School. “El TechLab permite a los alumnos del International MBA formarse en tecnologías disruptivas de la mano de expertos de distintos sectores empresariales y ponerlas en práctica para ofrecer soluciones a clientes reales”, señala por su parte Fernando Esteve, Director del TechLab del International MBA de IE Business School.

Articulo completo aqui  y en el Blog de ORACLE España

Manager
Manager
Virtual Interactive Chat – Join us in the WOW Room!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 08:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Virtual Interactive Chat – Join us in the WOW Room!
A chat with IMBA Admissions on 21 June at 6pm

To support you with your application process, we wanted to invite you to register for our upcoming Virtual Interactive Chat. The chat is a great opportunity to ask any questions you might have about the International MBA program, the application process, or anything else that might be on your mind.

REGISTER

Virtual Interactive Chat: Join us in the WOW Room

21st June 2018, 18:00 – 19:00 Madrid time*

*Click here to find your local time

This will take place from the state-of-the-art WOW room on IE campus, showcasing our commitment to the latest technology. The Wow Room will break with the traditional onsite, blended and online education models to transform the learning experience through elements that include artificial intelligence, simulations in real time, big data analysis, interactive robots, emotion recognition systems, and the presence of experts using holograms.

Once you have registered, we will send you an email with the link to access the session the day before the event. The IMBA Admissions Team is looking forward to hearing from you!

International MBA Admissions Team.

IE Business School

IMBA.admissions@ie.edu

Manager
Manager
TEDxIEMadrid 2018 on the topic SIMPLEXITY  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 09:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: TEDxIEMadrid 2018 on the topic SIMPLEXITY
If you have missed TEDxIEMadrid this time, you can still watch it here: http://ow.ly/nGf330kq58X

This past Thursday, June 7th, we celebrated the 4th edition of TEdxIEMadrid, themed “Simplexity”.

We were really excited to have a full house at Teatros Luchana and an additional 1100 viewers of the live streaming of the live broadcasting of the event, making it the most successful edition in TEDxIEMadrid history. For the first time this year the organizing team was composed of current students, alumni, staff and faculty members, and a big group of volunteers across the entire IE community, who all deserve a big round of applause for putting this event together. We would also like to extend our gratitude to IE Foundation and School of Human Science and Technology for sponsoring the event!

#SIMPLEXITY

Change often happens when the simple and the complex collide. When a shift in perspective allows us to see differently and create a new connection.When the previously complex suddenly becomes clear. When a simple change causes a huge impact. Let’s discover together what inspiring things can be done when we search for those new connections. When we are open to discovering something different. When we realize that simple changes can have a big impact and even the most complex challenges can be solved if we only work together.

Check out the TEDxIEMadrid website here

Manager
Manager
IMBA Business Impact Lab  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 03:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IMBA Business Impact Lab
Be disruptive!

The International MBA at IE is designed for those who can think outside the box and challenge conventional thinking. To increase your competitiveness, in just one year the program helps you act upon your ideas and offers ongoing feedback that focuses on you and your individual career aspirations.

IE’s innovative pedagogy pushes traditional classroom boundaries in order to be most effective and relevant to you and your career in an evolving world of business. To help you develop faster, 45% of the program can be tailored to your individual, personal, and professional goals.

Furthermore, the program emphasizes important universal skills, such as critical thinking, communication, interpersonal skills, and collaboration. Finally, the IE International MBA encourages all students to develop their entrepreneurial thinking so that they can be competitive in any industry or new venture.

After the Core Period, you will choose one of four options during the Lab Period that will allow you to focus on your own professional goals: do you want to create maximum impact within an existing company, do you desire to start your own business, do you wish to create social impact or do you hope to gain work experience that can help spark a career change? The idea is to enrich the core curriculum with uniquely packaged, relevant and hands-on input that you would otherwise not get in an MBA program.

In the Business Impact Lab, you focus on developing your integrative skills and cross-disciplinary management perspectives to be ready to create real impact from day 1 in any organization you will join post-MBA. You acquire the tools to question the status quo and to implement transformational ideas in a corporate setting. There are real challenges by real companies, but your solutions may be anything but ordinary. Critical knowledge areas include…

• Corporate Entrepreneurship
  • Corporate Business Model Innovation
  • Mastering the Big Data Challenge
  • Strategy Implementation
  • Change Management
  • Corporate Governance and Board Dynamics

Manager
Manager
IMBA Success Stories: Magdalena Radziewska at Booking.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 02:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IMBA Success Stories: Magdalena Radziewska at Booking.com

Magdalena Radziewska, Polish IE International MBA 2016 graduate, joined Booking.com as Senior Operational Excellence Specialist in Credit Control EMEA this January in their Amsterdam HQ. Prior to the MBA, she worked in financial services for over 5 years. In her last job, she was a Compliance Examiner at the National Futures Association, a US derivatives market regulator. She was based in Chicago, but traveled extensively across the US on audits. She explains “although I enjoyed my work, I couldn’t see a clear path of where I was going, I needed a change and I acted on it. The MBA allowed me to make a significant change in terms of function, industry and location, a triple jump which is known to be the most difficult thing for an MBA to achieve.”

“The MBA allowed me to make a significant change in terms of function, industry and location, a triple jump which is known to be the most difficult thing for an MBA to achieve.”

Q: Can you please tell us briefly about your new job?

A: I am a part of 4-person Operational Excellence team within Credit Control EMEA. We are responsible for innovations around collection processes, tooling and partner communications. It’s a very relationships driven role as on one hand, I need to involve multiple stakeholders in our projects and on the other, I need to get people’s buy in as it’s all about change management. It’s also interesting because there are 15 regions within EMEA, each very different in terms of cultural behaviors, language and market specifications, and the challenge we are faced with is how to find globally scalable but locally relevant solutions for our partners.

Q: Has your personal career strategy always been focused on this job?

A: No, not at all. I was one of those people who came into MBA as “soul searchers.” What I didn’t realize, was how hard it is to find things that you’re truly passionate about, or in some cases, how to narrow your passions to focus on one career path. I challenged myself throughout the year by attending all sorts of events, listening to people speak about their career experiences, networking and mentoring. I was scared of tough questions but I knew I couldn’t achieve what I achieved without digging deep down into myself. It wasn’t easy. I cried sometimes thinking I couldn’t do it. I’m not saying I got it all figured out now. I think we discover new things about ourselves every day and because of that, I won’t stop challenging myself professionally and personally.

“I was scared of tough questions but I knew I couldn’t achieve what I achieved without digging deep down into myself. It wasn’t easy.”

Q: How did you find out about this job opportunity? How was the recruiting process?

A: It’s a funny story. I found a completely different position within the same team at Booking’s career website. When I applied online, I was automatically rejected but I knew I was qualified. There is a Polish saying, that when someone shuts the door in front of you, you need to get in through the window to get what you want. So I searched through LinkedIn, and sent my cover letter directly to a few people from the department. Two days later I was invited for the first interview with HR. After that, I had a video interview with two managers and at the end, I was invited to come to Amsterdam for the last round. All interviews focused on past experiences related to people’s management (behavioral questions), and scenario questions. They also looked deeply into my motivation as to why Booking.

Long story short, after the last interview, the managers thought I would be a much better fit for an operational position (my current position) that was just being drafted. I had to go through one more round of interviews for which I had to prepare two business cases and present for 45 minutes. I couldn’t have been able to do so well, if not for the business case cracking and presentation skills I learned at IE.

Q: How did Talent and Careers and your IE experience help you during the recruiting process? Did you use specific career resources or did you come across useful information via an advisor or alumni?

A: As I mentioned before, IE gave me the tools and support to develop my career strategy. As a Section Career Representative, I was involved in various events and company presentations which helped me expand my alumni network and learn about different industries. But nothing was handed to me on a silver platter. My job search involved a lot of self discipline and motivation to research and network, it took countless revisions of CV and cover letters. It was hard work but it definitely paid off.

“My job search involved a lot of self discipline and motivation to research and network, it took countless revisions of CV and cover letters. It was hard work but it definitely paid off.”

Q: Would you want to share any tips or advice with student interested in applying to Booking.com?

A: Absolutely. I am happy to talk to and share my experience with anyone who is interested in Booking.com, so feel free to find me on LinkedIn.

In general, I’d say get to know the company very well and make sure you fit the culture. Booking is very focused on hiring the right personalities and even if you don’t fit the job description perfectly, but you’re down to earth, humble, and motivated to roll up your sleeves, you’re more than good to go. Personality shines in an interview.

I didn’t tick many boxes in my current role’s description, I didn’t even have the industry experience, but they saw something in me -maybe drive, maybe skills, or charisma- and they gave me a chance. Don’t sell yourself short!

Manager
Manager
Join us for IE Venture Day Madrid on July 12th!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 02:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Join us for IE Venture Day Madrid on July 12th!

All members of the public are welcome! You can register here to attend.

IE Venture Days are international events designed to foster the entrepreneurial ecosystem, connecting the best startups, investors, corporations, accelerators and thought-leaders. Every Venture Day lasts between 4-8 hours, and its format is a combination of keynote speakers, panel discussions and a startup competition with the most-promising entrepreneurs of the region. The conferences are open to the general public, and IE students and alumni as well as individuals from the local and regional entrepreneurial communities are invited to participate. Every year Madrid hosts two Venture Days with more than 500 attendants, which celebrates the winners of our Venture Lab Accelerator program.

Agenda

Come and celebrate with us as we showcase the best Startups of IE Business School and IE University during an evening of music, speakers, and pitches and awards. Venture Day Madrid is on Thursday, July 12th, at the Auditorium of the Fundación Rafael de Pino. We will open the doors at 3pm!

Our Keynote Speaker is Ikhlaq Sidhu, Chief Scientist and Founding Director, Sutarja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology at UC Berkeley. Prof. Sidhu will talk about “Artificial Intelligence, Data & Ventures”. After a series of elevator pitches, Prof. Sidhu will continue with “The Data X Workshop”.

A little after 5pm, more exciting elevator pitches will follow the Data X Workshop and then we will have an indepth Fireside Chat with IE Alumni Entrepeneurs:“Entrepreneurship after IE” where we will hear from startup cofounders who are creating and who have created startups from early stage all the way to exit.

Finally, at 6:30pm Venture Day’s Finalist Competition will begin! We will have 11 finalists from teams who are currently in IE Business School’s IMBA, IE HST’s Master in Big Data and Business Analytics and IE University’s Bachelor’s in Business Administration. This year we have startups who are tackling problems in the realm of cryptocurrencies, artificial intelligence, healthcare, ecommerce, law, energy, fashion and data.

Venture Day Finalists

It gives us great pleasure to announce to you the next Venture Day finalists and invite you to our next Venture Day in Madrid next Thursday, July 12th at 3pm in the Rafael del Pino Auditorium. Over 50 startups from current students and alumni competed to be finalists at Venture Day and the innovative candidates made the selection a huge challenge.

We will have 11 finalists from teams who are currently in IE Business School’s IMBA, IE HST’s Master in Big Data and Business Analytics, IE University’s Bachelor’s in Business Administration and an alumni team that graduated from IE Law School. Our celebration next Thursday July 12th will clearly be a tribute to how our #IESpirit of Entrepreneurship runs far and wide across our programs.

We have an afternoon planned that focuses first on Artificial Intelligence, Data and Ventures! Our Keynote, Ikhlaq Sidhu, is Chief Scientist and Founding Director, Sutarja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology at UC Berkeley. It is a fitting topic considering that we have not one but THREE finalists from IE HST’s Master in Big Data and Business Analytics. This year we have startups who are tackling problems in the realm of cryptocurrencies, artificial intelligence, healthcare, ecommerce, law, energy, fashion and data.

After many hours of deliberation, the finalists are:

• Energora (IMBA; Venture Lab)
  • Chiron (MBD+MIM; Venture Lab)
  • Tenjin (MBD; Venture Lab)
  • Jengu (IMBA; Venture Lab)
  • Lifeskills (MBD; Venture Lab)
  • Finoa (IMBA; Venture Lab)
  • DropAlley (IMBA; Venture Lab)
  • Hangry (IMBA; Venture Lab)
  • Master Gifting (IMBA; Venture Lab)
  • The Fashion Festival (BBA; Venture Lab)
  • Legaline (alumni)
In addition, the following runner-ups are invited to do 1-minute elevator pitches…

Vida Nueva (IMBA; Venture Lab), FINA (IMBA; Venture Lab), AdNow (IMBA; Venture Lab), MyPharma (IMBA; Venture Lab), Kred-it (IMBA; Venture Lab), Boyas de Servicio (BDS) (IMBA; Venture Lab), Best Defense (Alumni), Next Feed (IMBA; Knowledge Incubator), Goxo (Alumni), Data Cells, Naked Singularity (IMBA, Venture Lab), VIZU (MIM, Venture Lab), HomeEast (BBA, Venture Lab), Combee (MBD, Venture Lab), Skill’It (MCC, Venture Lab), Edulupa (MTDHR in HST, IMBA alumnus, IMBA Jan ’18, Venture Lab), Cafetal (IMBA; Knowledge Incubator), Insnack (MIM; Venture Lab), Unplug (IMBA, Knowledge Incubator)

The spirit and passion of all of our teams from all programs have been off the charts. Students from the IE Entrepreneurship Club will be actively involved in Venture Day presenting the pitches and moderating the interventions. They will moderate a Fireside Chat with IE Alumni Entrepreneurs: “Entrepreneurship after IE” where we will hear from startup cofounders who are creating and who have created startups from early stage all the way to exit.

Manager
Manager
How my IMBA at IE Business School got me a Job at Amazon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 03:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: How my IMBA at IE Business School got me a Job at Amazon
Entrepreneurial instinct and innovative thinking are highly-prized among MBA hires at Amazon, so it’s no surprise that grads from Spain’s IE Business School are thriving in this environment.

At IE, entrepreneurial spirit is literally at the core of the curriculum, with the International MBA featuring a compulsory module named, ‘Developing an Entrepreneurial Mindset’. In addition, each summer, students have the opportunity to take part in an on-campus incubator for their fledgling business ideas at the IE Start-Up Lab, and the Lab’s coordinator, Sugata Jain, believes that the skills they learn there have a big role in landing students jobs with big corporates. “A lot of our students have gone into working at big startups—a few of them are at Uber now, and Airbnb has hired so many of them,” she says. “[But big tech companies like] Google and Amazon [also] love these candidates because they’re going and saying, ‘Look—in five weeks, this is what I achieved.’”

One such candidate is Nicolas Vanerio, who graduated from the International MBA at IE last year (2017) and is now working as a pathways operations manager at Amazon in France.

BusinessBecause caught up with Nicolas to find out how his MBA helped him land a job at Amazon:

What were you doing before you started your MBA?

I worked in the e-commerce sector for more than 5 years, mainly in Mercado Libre, (MELI) the leading e-commerce company in Latin America.

I was the quality supervisor for Brazil’s customer experience operations when I made the decision to do an MBA. I was responsible for the quality of 600+ representatives answering our customers’ calls, emails, and chats. We also reviewed our fraud prevention team. I led a team of 13 analysts checking these exchanges with our customers.

Why did you decide to pursue an MBA at IE?

I wanted to grow in my career and, to achieve that, I wanted to continue my studies in a place that would allow me to learn something new, expand my network, and [have] a unique experience. That’s why after looking at several universities I chose IE Business School.

I wanted to get into one of the best MBAs in the world, with a technological and entrepreneurship twist. I looked into the top-ranking MBAs, but most of them focused on consulting and finance. IE was top-ranked and focused on tech and entrepreneurship.

How did the job at Amazon come about?

This was a company I was always interested in because of my e-commerce background. It has the customer [focus] that I love and is the top e-commerce business in the world.

There were several Amazon presentations during the MBA, including a field trip to one of their Fulfilment Centers. The careers department at IE helped with mock interviews, counseling and reviews.

What else stands out from your MBA experience?

I did several case competitions, just to challenge myself and learn more about the consulting way of thinking, and won a Microsoft case. This was incredibly rewarding, as my fellow candidates were very diverse and had incredible previous experiences. I would get free feedback and learn from some of the best in their industries.

Another highlight was doing the startup camp and learning what it takes to build a company from scratch—it gave me several insights into that world that I will use in the future.

I believe IE Business School is an excellent choice for people interested in tech and entrepreneurship. I loved the classes and learned a lot from fellow candidates. As a bonus, you get to live in Madrid, which is an amazing city!

Read full article at: https://www.businessbecause.com/news/mba-careers/5351/mba-ie-business-school-job-amazon

Manager
Manager
IE focus: Families in Business  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 04:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IE focus: Families in Business
The Three Main Challenges of Family Businesses

The IE Center for Research and Networking for Families in Business represents IE’s commitment to adding value to business families on a global scale.  This process relies on over a decade of excellence in research in the field of family businesses, a management team with extensive experience and effective training in classrooms where leaders of great business families have studied. An authentic community of strategic reflection, whose vision extends from the family to the world.

A renewed vision of business families.

Families in Business at IE offers an innovative look at family businesses, based on:

• Their competitive advantages in disruptive environments.
  • The family’s differential values beyond the business.
  • The impact of diversity.
  • The involvement of NextGen in the future of the business.
All of this is complemented by IE’s pragmatic focus, and enriched by the emphasis on the humanities, digital transformation and entrepreneurship.

The 3 pillars of Families in Business at IE

• Research: 

Generate impactful and innovative knowledge surrounding strategic issues for Families in Business participants.
  • Training: 

Promote the development of relevant and specialized training for business families and their groups of interest.
  • Network: 

Create a network of strategic contacts for Families in Business participants based on shared interests.
Collaborative impact initiatives

Families in Business at IE shares ideas and develops projects with strategic partners, allowing us to enhance knowledge and impact the areas most relevant to business families. If you would like to collaborate and progress together, write to familiesinbusiness@ie.edu

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, please click HERE to learn more about Families in Business at IE

Manager
Manager
IE Campus Life: 2017 highlights and more…  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 03:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IE Campus Life: 2017 highlights and more…

AN EXPERIENCE AWAITS

Imagine the thrill of meeting someone from a new country every weekand having a myriad of events to attend each night. Imagine having access to state-of-the-art technology, or a space where your entrepreneurial creativity can thrive. With more than 132 countries represented, 6,000 students, 140 clubs and 500 events, life at IE Business School is all this and much more. It’s life lived to the full.

CAMPUS RESOURCES
The resources are there to for your benefit. Make them your own!

WOW Room:Where we break down traditional educational models, and revolutionize the virtual classroom environment.

Area 31:A cutting-edge workspace where entrepreneurial ideas come to life.

IE Library:A center of academic exploration and discovery. A place for boundary-pushing and rule-breaking.

:Where we enjoy what life has to offer, get inspired and practice mindfulness.

IE trading  room:Get into the world of professional money management at this home away from home for finance students.

IEU Fab Lab:Our dynamic design laboratory in Segovia.

Virtual Balcony Teatro Real: The appeal of opera, augmented by advances in audiovisuals.

CLUBS & ORGANIZATIONS
We’ve got it all. What more could you want?

Every year, our students participate in over 80 active student clubs.  Whether it’s rugby, AI Club, or the Net Impact club, we help students to explore their interests while getting their hands dirty and building life-long friendships.

More on Campus Life and IE Business School  HERE

IE Campus Life Spotlight: Martin Boehm, Dean of IE Business School

Manager
Manager
Opening Doors: IE Talent & Careers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 04:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Opening Doors: IE Talent & Careers

What Are the Implications of Blockchain for Careers?

Manager
Manager
IMBA Open Day – Saturday, 8 September  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 06:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IMBA Open Day – Saturday, 8 September
Click here to Register!

OUT OF THE ORDINARY WEEKEND

6th EDITION
Saturday, September 8th   

IE Paper Pavilion, Serrano 99 & The Launch Pad, Maria de Molina 31

AGENDA
The Launch Pad, Maria de Molina 31

Open Day Welcome Coffee
10:30 – 11:00
Paper Pavilion, calle Serrano 99

IE International MBA Program Presentation
11:00 – 11:45

IE Career Management Center Q&A
11:45 – 12:30

Coffee Break
12:30 – 13:00

MASTER CLASS

with Prof. Luis Garicano

Artificial Intelligence, Industry Concentration, and the Future of Work
13:00 – 14:30

Campus Tour
14:30 – 15:00
Towards Launchpad

Networking Lunch with members of the IE Community
15:00 – 16:30
Launch Pad, calle Maria de Molina 31

TRANSFORMER WORKSHOP

with Prof Ignacio Larru Martinez

New business models powered by technology 

From Big Data to software as a service to online marketplaces and freemium applications, technology has powered the development of new business models that have disrupted various industries. In this workshop, we will review these new business models, analyzing its main characteristics and value levers to help us identify new opportunities for business under these new models.
16:30 – 18:00
calle Maria de Molina 31

Networking Cocktail with current IMBA students
18:00 – 19:30
Warehouse, calle Maria de Molina 25

Manager
Manager
IMBA Success Stories: Gonzalo Sanz @ Santander Asset Management  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 10:01
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IMBA Success Stories: Gonzalo Sanz @ Santander Asset Management
Santander AM 'ficha' a Gonzalo Sanz para su equipo de fondos de pequeña y mediana capitalización

Gonzalo Sanz, alumni del International MBA de 2004 ha sido fichado por Lola Solana para gestionar 2.000 millones de euros en la Gestora del Santander.

Santander Asset Management ha ‘fichado’ a Gonzalo Sanz para reforzar el equipo de gestión dirigido por Lola Solana y encargado de los fondos Small y Medium Caps españoles y europeos y de la cartera de renta variable de la gama Santander Sostenible.

Sanz se unirá en julio a este equipo como analista senior de Small y Medium Caps. En los últimos once años ha desempeñado el puesto de analista de renta variable para clientes institucionales en Mirabaud Securities. Inició su carrera en la consultora Everis, cuenta con 14 años de experiencia y es licenciado en Ingeniería Superior Industrial por la Universidad Pontificia de Comillas.

Con esta incorporación se completa el equipo encargado de los fondos de pequeña y mediana capitalización (SANTANDER (SAN.MC)Small Caps España, Santander Small Caps Europa, Santander AM European Equity Opportunities y Santander Acçoes Portugal) y de la cartera de renta variable de la nueva gama de sostenibles (Santander Sostenible 1, Santander Sostenible 2 y Santander Sostenible Acciones).

Así, el equipo queda integrado por cuatro personas –Javier Ruiz Capillas, Íñigo Barrera, Gonzalo Sanz y Lola Solana–, tiene el apoyo de cinco analistas sectoriales y cuenta con unos activos bajo gestión de cerca de 1.800 millones de euros.

Artículo completo en El Economista: 26 de junio 2018

http://www.eleconomista.es/economia/noticias/9233332/06/18/Santander-AM-ficha-a-Gonzalo-Sanz-para-su-equipo-de-fondos-de-pequena-y-mediana-capitalizacion.html

GMAT Club Bot
IMBA Success Stories: Gonzalo Sanz @ Santander Asset Management &nbs [#permalink] 17 Aug 2018, 10:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 65 posts ] 

IE MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap