GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58320
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 04:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:48) correct 39% (01:53) wrong based on 233 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
D
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 4987
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Feb 2019, 04:52
2
Bunuel wrote:
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

A. −2 ≤ d < 10
B. d ≠ −2
C. d < 0
D. c < d
E. −14 < d



for |c| < 4
c = +/- ( 0,1,2,3)
d= ( -5,-8,-11,1,7,4)

only option E sufficies
IMO E
-14<d
_________________
If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.

Originally posted by Archit3110 on 18 Feb 2019, 04:35.
Last edited by Archit3110 on 18 Feb 2019, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2341
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 04:47
1
Bunuel wrote:
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

A. −2 ≤ d < 10
B. d ≠ −2
C. d < 0
D. c < d
E. −14 < d



Let C=0............d=-2..........Eliminate B, D

Let C =-3.........d=-11.........Eliminate A

Let C =3.........d=7.........Eliminate C

Answer: E
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2341
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 04:48
Archit3110 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

A. −2 ≤ d < 10
B. d ≠ −2
C. d < 0
D. c < d
E. −14 < d



for |c| < 4
c = +/- ( 1,2,3)
d= ( -5,-8,-11,1,7,4)

only option B sufficies
IMO B


Hi,

If C =0..........then b =-2...So choice B is incorrect
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
D
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 4987
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 04:52
Mo2men wrote:
Archit3110 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

A. −2 ≤ d < 10
B. d ≠ −2
C. d < 0
D. c < d
E. −14 < d



for |c| < 4
c = +/- ( 1,2,3)
d= ( -5,-8,-11,1,7,4)

only option B sufficies
IMO B


Hi,

If C =0..........then b =-2...So choice B is incorrect


Mo2men
yes you are right ; i forgot to take 0
_________________
If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 13 Oct 2018
Posts: 85
Location: India
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 04:53
answer must be E.

-4<c<4

=> -12 < 3c< 12
=> -14 <3c-2 < 10


which gives only the E option
_________________
Ankit
GMAT is tough so I am ...
Giving Kudos is the best way to encourage and appreciate people
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Mar 2015
Posts: 12
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 08:01
Bunuel wrote:
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

A. −2 ≤ d < 10
B. d ≠ −2
C. d < 0
D. c < d
E. −14 < d



lcl < 4 --> -4<c<4 --> -14<3c-2<10

so only options (A) lies within this range, hence

Answer is A)

correct me [quote="Bunuel"] ,if i am wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Oct 2017
Posts: 19
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 03:48
mahipal wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

A. −2 ≤ d < 10
B. d ≠ −2
C. d < 0
D. c < d
E. −14 < d



lcl < 4 --> -4<c<4 --> -14<3c-2<10

so only options (A) lies within this range, hence

Answer is A)

correct me
Bunuel wrote:
,if i am wrong.

Posted from my mobile device



I did the same reasoning as you, show us the way to E for guaranteed kudos please
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
D
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 4987
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 04:11
paolodeppa
given
|c| < 4 ; so C can be +/-(1,2,3) & 0
now considering values of C test in d = 3c − 2
at c = 0 ; d=-2 ; so option B is out
c=1; d= 1 option C out
c=2;d=4option C out
c=3;d=7option C out
c=-1;d=-5 option d out
c=-2;d=-8 option d out
c=-3;d=-11 option A out

only option E is correct in this case i.e -14<d

hope this helps


paolodeppa wrote:
mahipal wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

A. −2 ≤ d < 10
B. d ≠ −2
C. d < 0
D. c < d
E. −14 < d



lcl < 4 --> -4<c<4 --> -14<3c-2<10

so only options (A) lies within this range, hence

Answer is A)

correct me
Bunuel wrote:
,if i am wrong.

Posted from my mobile device



I did the same reasoning as you, show us the way to E for guaranteed kudos please

_________________
If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 31 Oct 2013
Posts: 1473
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GPA: 3.68
WE: Analyst (Accounting)
CAT Tests
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 04:24
1
Bunuel wrote:
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

A. −2 ≤ d < 10
B. d ≠ −2
C. d < 0
D. c < d
E. −14 < d



|c|<4

-4<c<4.

d = 3c - 2 .

we will get the range of d if we put the extreme value of c.

d = 3*4 - 2 = 10

d = -4*3 - 2 = -14.

-14<d<10.

assess all the options .

A) Incorrect as per the range we have.

B) d ≠ −2. Nope. d could be -2.

C) d<0. not all the time. d<10.

D)c<d. Not always. could be true. what if d = -12 and c = 3.

E) -14<d. YES . part of the range. Matched.

E is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Oct 2017
Posts: 19
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 07:24
Archit3110 wrote:
paolodeppa
given
|c| < 4 ; so C can be +/-(1,2,3) & 0
now considering values of C test in d = 3c − 2
at c = 0 ; d=-2 ; so option B is out
c=1; d= 1 option C out
c=2;d=4option C out
c=3;d=7option C out
c=-1;d=-5 option d out
c=-2;d=-8 option d out
c=-3;d=-11 option A out

only option E is correct in this case i.e -14<d

hope this helps


Yeah I get this process you outlined above, however if we think about it in terms of ranges it becomes:
-14<d<10
and option A) specifically says -2<= d <10 so I can't see how it doesn't fit in -14<d<10
Please I need to know why option A) is wrong throughout ranges
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
D
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 4987
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 07:51
1
paolodeppa
how can values of D which range from -14<d<10
fit in to option A where range is given as -2<= d <10??
option A is till -2 only ; its not considering other values of d viz. -5,-8.....
which is why option A is wrong

paolodeppa wrote:
Archit3110 wrote:
paolodeppa
given
|c| < 4 ; so C can be +/-(1,2,3) & 0
now considering values of C test in d = 3c − 2
at c = 0 ; d=-2 ; so option B is out
c=1; d= 1 option C out
c=2;d=4option C out
c=3;d=7option C out
c=-1;d=-5 option d out
c=-2;d=-8 option d out
c=-3;d=-11 option A out

only option E is correct in this case i.e -14<d

hope this helps


Yeah I get this process you outlined above, however if we think about it in terms of ranges it becomes:
-14<d<10
and option A) specifically says -2<= d <10 so I can't see how it doesn't fit in -14<d<10
Please I need to know why option A) is wrong throughout ranges

_________________
If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Oct 2017
Posts: 19
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 08:09
Archit3110 wrote:
paolodeppa
how can values of D which range from -14<d<10
fit in to option A where range is given as -2<= d <10??
option A is till -2 only ; its not considering other values of d viz. -5,-8.....
which is why option A is wrong

paolodeppa wrote:
Archit3110 wrote:
paolodeppa
given
|c| < 4 ; so C can be +/-(1,2,3) & 0
now considering values of C test in d = 3c − 2
at c = 0 ; d=-2 ; so option B is out
c=1; d= 1 option C out
c=2;d=4option C out
c=3;d=7option C out
c=-1;d=-5 option d out
c=-2;d=-8 option d out
c=-3;d=-11 option A out

only option E is correct in this case i.e -14<d

hope this helps


Yeah I get this process you outlined above, however if we think about it in terms of ranges it becomes:
-14<d<10
and option A) specifically says -2<= d <10 so I can't see how it doesn't fit in -14<d<10
Please I need to know why option A) is wrong throughout ranges


Oh I get it now, It's the other way around:
It's not that the options have to fit the interval instead all the values of d [-14;10] have to fit the options

so E
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
D
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 8043
Location: United States (CA)
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 09:15
Bunuel wrote:
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

A. −2 ≤ d < 10
B. d ≠ −2
C. d < 0
D. c < d
E. −14 < d


Since |c| < 4, then -4 < c < 4. So we have:

-12 < 3c < 12

-14 < 3c - 2 < 10

-14 < d < 10

Answer: E
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jan 2014
Posts: 31
Schools: Johnson '21 (WL)
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 02:30
I did the same way, but doesn't our solution put an upper limit - d has to be less than 10?
If we ignore one of the limits then A should be right too.

ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

A. −2 ≤ d < 10
B. d ≠ −2
C. d < 0
D. c < d
E. −14 < d


Since |c| < 4, then -4 < c < 4. So we have:

-12 < 3c < 12

-14 < 3c - 2 < 10

-14 < d < 10

Answer: E
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Mar 2015
Posts: 12
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 04:45
2
KomalSg

Though I got this question initially wrong ,as i too thought A is the answer , but it is the very common trap for MUST BE TRUE questions.

In order to get these questions right ,you have to change your thought process.

first solve the question, find the possible answer set for the question asked.
then w.r.t to the solution found ,preview all the answer choices one by one.

A. says that (−2 ≤ d < 10) but our answer is (−14 < d < 10),does the Option A covers all the possible values of "d" , no it still leaves some values of "d" smaller than -2 and bigger than -14,so it is not the correct answer.
Similarly B,C,D are all also understood.

Option E says "d">-14, this choice is true as all the possible values of "d" are bigger than -14 and this statement alone is 100 decent true.

Hope my understandings help you, if so give me kudos .

regards,
Mahi..
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Sep 2018
Posts: 12
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2019, 05:14
Mo2men wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

A. −2 ≤ d < 10
B. d ≠ −2
C. d < 0
D. c < d
E. −14 < d



Let C=0............d=-2..........Eliminate B, D

Let C =-3.........d=-11.........Eliminate A

Let C =3.........d=7.........Eliminate C

Answer: E

I thought since we are dealing with a modulus of C so you cant let c=-3 meaning all the values of C have to be positive hence making A Correct. kindly correct me where am wrong
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Mar 2015
Posts: 12
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2019, 06:44
bridgetnamugga

If i may,

I would like to bring few things to your understanding.
Here we are dealing with a modulus of C as well as C also.

mod of C can't be negative
but C can be negative as well as positive, there are no restrictions to it .

So as explained by Mo2men , you can very well take -3 as "C" since "C" lies between(-4,4).

Hope my understandings are clear to you.
If so do give kudos.

Regards,
Mahi..
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2019, 06:52
mahipal wrote:
bridgetnamugga

If i may,

I would like to bring few things to your understanding.
Here we are dealing with a modulus of C as well as C also.

mod of C can't be negative
but C can be negative as well as positive, there are no restrictions to it .

So as explained by Mo2men , you can very well take -3 as "C" since "C" lies between(-4,4).

Hope my understandings are clear to you.
If so do give kudos.

Regards,
Mahi..


Thanks for clearing my query
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2019, 06:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If |c| < 4 and d = 3c − 2, then which of the following must be true?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne