It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 21:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If present metal prices continue to sharply rise, the value

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 477

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 12

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
If present metal prices continue to sharply rise, the value [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2009, 19:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (00:27) correct 75% (00:44) wrong based on 19 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

1. If present metal prices continue to sharply rise, the value of the
copper in a penny will soon be greater than the face value of the coin.

a. if present metal prices continue to sharply rise,
b. if present metal prices are continuing their sharp rise,
c. should present metal prices continue their sharp rise,
d. continuation of sharply rising metal prices should mean that
e. metal prices' sharp rise continuing should mean that

What's the difference between "If something happens vs. should something happen?"
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Abhishek009 on 13 May 2016, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 216

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 0

Re: If present metal prices continue to sharply rise, the value [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2009, 20:14
I would go with A. There is nothing wrong with A.

And regarding your question, I have never seen a sentence beginning with "Should something happen" in the GMAT world. For hypothetical situations I have always seen "if".

Whats the OA?

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Stanford GSB
Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 94

Kudos [?]: 215 [1], given: 4

Re: If present metal prices continue to sharply rise, the value [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2009, 23:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
The answer should be C.

The problem with A is called "Split Infinitive"

You may
sdrandom1 wrote:
I would go with A. There is nothing wrong with A.

And regarding your question, I have never seen a sentence beginning with "Should something happen" in the GMAT world. For hypothetical situations I have always seen "if".

Whats the OA?
refer the link:

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/ ... nfinitives

Kudos [?]: 215 [1], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 318

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 14

Re: If present metal prices continue to sharply rise, the value [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2009, 18:14
If we change "A" to " if present metal prices continue to rise sharply" then will this be correct or still the use of "Should" can be justified?
_________________

Always tag your question

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 14

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 815

Kudos [?]: 359 [0], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Re: If present metal prices continue to sharply rise, the value [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2009, 20:26
sandipchowdhury wrote:
The answer should be C.

The problem with A is called "Split Infinitive"

You may
sdrandom1 wrote:
I would go with A. There is nothing wrong with A.

And regarding your question, I have never seen a sentence beginning with "Should something happen" in the GMAT world. For hypothetical situations I have always seen "if".

Whats the OA?
refer the link:

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/ ... nfinitives


Agree with C.
Split infinitive should be avoided.
_________________

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Kudos [?]: 359 [0], given: 106

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 195

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 3

Schools: Stanford...Wait, I will come!!!
Re: If present metal prices continue to sharply rise, the value [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2009, 00:43
sudeep wrote:
sandipchowdhury wrote:
The answer should be C.

The problem with A is called "Split Infinitive"

You may
sdrandom1 wrote:
I would go with A. There is nothing wrong with A.

And regarding your question, I have never seen a sentence beginning with "Should something happen" in the GMAT world. For hypothetical situations I have always seen "if".

Whats the OA?
refer the link:

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/ ... nfinitives


Agree with C.
Split infinitive should be avoided.

I too would go for C, A has the problem of split infinitive.

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 3

Re: If present metal prices continue to sharply rise, the value   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2009, 00:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
rising inventories tt11234 0 01 Oct 2014, 15:08
1 Gasoline prices are set to rise by almost 25% fuelling the gmatcracker2010 13 19 Jul 2011, 19:59
As the price of gasoline rises, which makes substituting prasannar 2 20 Feb 2008, 19:20
The rise in the price of crabmeat and an increase in demand pmenon 6 30 Dec 2007, 11:15
Should present metal prices continue their sharp rise, the topmbaseeker 1 08 Dec 2008, 02:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If present metal prices continue to sharply rise, the value

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.