It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 13:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IMD, anyone?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: IMD, anyone? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2009, 09:08
Don't worry. I don't think the master degree is a problem. I have also a master degree and I have interviews for other programs from top 15. I think that you have a good chance at INSEAD which is a verry good school.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2009, 07:03
Nerdboy wrote:
My international exposure and ECs are weak.

Can you elaborate more..Is it that you have no or less International experience..I am applying for R2-Jan 10 and would like to hear on this..Specifically, I have 2+ international experience in Switzerland in my 5+ experience..Is it enough or is a waste of my efforts. I postponed INSEAD appn to get IMD done

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2009, 09:53
I will submit my application for R2 (01.04.). So many essays... :sic:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Schools: INSEAD Dec'10

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2009, 03:08
iamcste wrote:
Nerdboy wrote:
My international exposure and ECs are weak.

Can you elaborate more..Is it that you have no or less International experience..I am applying for R2-Jan 10 and would like to hear on this..Specifically, I have 2+ international experience in Switzerland in my 5+ experience..Is it enough or is a waste of my efforts. I postponed INSEAD appn to get IMD done

The only advice I can offer is to use the "assess your chances" form on their website. In my case they were very specific about the weaknesses in my profile. I tried to mitigate them in the essays, obviously it was not convincing enough.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2009, 12:42
If IMD states 01.04. as the application deadline, is it:
- 01.04. 0.01
- 01.04. 23.59?

and are you sure about it? ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2009, 14:18
Hi mates,

I've discovered IMD right now, since I'm thinking of an european MBA as plan B.

@ Nerdboy: did you have to pay for using "assess your chance" service? (yes I know, I could look it by myself but right now the website is under maintenance :( )

Also, it's true that profiles of the people seem to be fantastic, however, I think they are "usual" in Europe (and please, notice the quotation marks)

I mean, usually in Europe degrees are 5 o 6 years long. This means that people are aroud 23-24 years old when they finish. So, at the age of 30-32, europeans have between 6 and 8 years of WE. A completely different thing is the quality of those WE...

Anyway, do you have any useful link to IMD? I'm doing research in the forum but I couldn't find a specific threat

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2009, 04:03
Hi guys

Got the interview invite today. Still thinking on whether to go to Singapore or Lausanne? Any suggestions?

Regards

LK

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 14

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2009, 07:16
after15 wrote:
I was looking at their brochure a couple of days before.
The class of 2007 consisted of very well accomplished people with lots of years of WE.
The vast majority of the class had a solid 8+ years WE in very responsible positions in terms of responsibilities and salary (GMs etc).
Maybe there is something that I do not understand overall, but why should a GM with 12 years of WE pursue a MBA degree?Anyway, since the majority of the class is so accomplished (at least this is the case of the class of 2007!), I really do not feel that I fit in this place by any means.
Last but not least, since the people there have so solid WE, it makes perfect sense that the salaries after graduation will be very high, regardless of the MBA.
What do you think?

This post has raised some of the best questions I've ever seen in this forum. Its not only about IMD - it's about MBA in general.

The right question is - could your school pick Average Joe and turn him into a superstar? I know that Top 10 schools in US, LBS and couple of other schools are capable of doing something like that, which I can't say for IMD. For example, Stanford - school that simply loves to take couple of underdog stories (Rocky Balboa style :) ) and turn them into CEO's. They are doing that each year, sometimes I think they are doing that intentionally, just to prove the strength of the program and to prove they are the ones that make champions. Of course, Stanfords' class is packed with superstars and Last Action Heroes but, they are also turning boys into men - no doubt about it.

On the other hand, you have IMD and their elitistic/superstar approach: pick GMs and CEOs and turn them into what? GMs and CEOs again? Well... Thank you, but no thanks, i just don't see the point of attending such a school. Of course, I have respect for people who have done it, but I don't see how could I fit overthere. What that school could do for me? How they are going to help someone who is not CEO to become one? As after15 correctly noticed "since the people there have so solid WE, it makes perfect sense that the salaries after graduation will be very high, regardless of the MBA".

I see their strategy is very simple - pick the small number of very, very acomplished professionals who would have succeed without MBA (and who, therefore, cannot answer the simple "why MBA and why now" question at other schools) and boost the rankings on the ground of the high salaries and selectivity. Why is then such school referred as top school on par with LBS/INSEAD?

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 654 [0], given: 210

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2009, 08:14
The right question is - could your school pick Average Joe and turn him into a superstar? I know that Top 10 schools in US, LBS and couple of other schools are capable of doing something like that, which I can't say for IMD.

Sadly I disagree. I don't think that any top schools pick out average joes and turn them into superstars. I'd like to think that they can (because I am an average joe myself), but I don't believe that it actually happens. Having looked at the LBS portal and having met many current admits, I can confidently say that these people are already superstars. While they are not CEOs yet, I can see that they all have potential. I'm pretty sure its the same at all top tier b-schools which are filled out of folks from pedigree institutions. When it comes to admissions - these top tier schools don't take risks.

As far as IMD goes, they have their own class profile (older / experienced etc. ). Just like HBS has its own class profile (younger / super star etc.). I'm sure that the group that studies at IMD is just as self selecting as the group at HBS. IMD just has its own corner of the market and I respect it for focusing on experience instead of trending towards youth like many other schools are doing these days.

GMAT Forum Moderator

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2009, 09:23
Well, I've probably overstated when I referred to "Average Joe", but you know me already - I tend to overreact from time to time :) When I sad "Average Joe" I meant "applicant from no-name country, working for no-name company, educated at no-name university". Of course, you are right regarding academic abilities and leadership potential of these people - they are not average at all.

Beleive me, I know couple of "no-name country, no-name company, no-name university" guys from my country (which is, obviously a no-name country :-D ) who made careers abroad (we are talking McKinsey or Lehman overhere), returning home and becomming ministers or deputy prime-ministers. The only stuff they had in their resumes were HBS, Haas or Columbia B-schools. Of course, as you said, they were all natural born leaders and very smart peole, no doubt about that (if they weren't, they wouldn't have entered such excellent schools).

If some "no-name country, no-name company, no-name university" guy graduates from IMD, he will remain just that. Knowing that, IMD admission officers wouldn't have admitted him in the first place. My point is that schools like IMD provide very little (if at all) added value. You have pretty decent chance to leave that school with nothing you already haven't had 10 months earlier.

I have to repeat, I have great respect for anyone admitted (or even just interviewed) to IMD - I have not even the slightest doubt that they are very acomplished and successful. As you noticed, it has its own market corner and schools like this one should exist in the future. I am just confused why it is referred as top school, side by side with LBS and INSEAD.

Schools like Chicago, Wharton or LBS aren't trending younger either, admitting hundreds of 30+ people each year. What I'm trying to say is that less acomplished person will gain much more from attending any of these three schools than IMD, and that is of much more consideration (at least for me) than rankings based on salaries and selectivity.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2009, 13:02
In addition to all that everyone has said - one common feedback I've got from IMD is that the study experience more like a boot camp for 12 months. You have to take classes on Saturdays as well. They take the word 'rigorous' to a new definition at IMD.

The IMD program is quite similar to the one year Sloan fellowship at LBS, MIT and Stanford. You can't really ask what will a superstar manager who has managed billion dollar budgets learn in a one year MSc program. I think the school definitely provides top notch learning, especially in areas such as organizational behavior and leadership.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2009, 05:04
received my ding email from imd today :(

short profile:
we: 6 years IT consulting
German

CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2009, 05:23
Bad luck Elderas, Pathfinder does have a point about the exclusivity of IMD. Its clearly proving extremely tough this year. So far only 1 interview and zero confirmed admits from gclub - even Stanford has seen better numbers.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: INSEAD Dec'10

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2009, 06:38
In reply to John, no you don't have to pay for IMD to assess your chances. You just fill out an online form and someone from admissions sends you an e-mail with a vague reply.

I don't think the IMD students' profiles are 'average' for Europe, or for anywhere.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Nerdboy on 07 Jun 2009, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2009, 20:04
Hey guys

I have been waitlisted at IMD. Any idea wat are the chances of wl conversion at IMD since i have heard that acceptance rate is very high at IMD?

Cheers

LK

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 41

Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2009, 22:00
Mind sharing ur stats pls

thelionking23 wrote:
Hey guys

I have been waitlisted at IMD. Any idea wat are the chances of wl conversion at IMD since i have heard that acceptance rate is very high at IMD?

Cheers

LK

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 41

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2009, 03:47
M/30/Indian/7 Yrs WE Non IT/Leadership position in Fortune 15 company/690 GMAT
snipertrader wrote:
Mind sharing ur stats pls

thelionking23 wrote:
Hey guys

Cheers

LK

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 5

Schools: St. Gallen '09

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2009, 05:00
bsd_lover wrote:
The right question is - could your school pick Average Joe and turn him into a superstar? I know that Top 10 schools in US, LBS and couple of other schools are capable of doing something like that, which I can't say for IMD.

Sadly I disagree. I don't think that any top schools pick out average joes and turn them into superstars. I'd like to think that they can (because I am an average joe myself), but I don't believe that it actually happens. Having looked at the LBS portal and having met many current admits, I can confidently say that these people are already superstars. While they are not CEOs yet, I can see that they all have potential. I'm pretty sure its the same at all top tier b-schools which are filled out of folks from pedigree institutions. When it comes to admissions - these top tier schools don't take risks.

As far as IMD goes, they have their own class profile (older / experienced etc. ). Just like HBS has its own class profile (younger / super star etc.). I'm sure that the group that studies at IMD is just as self selecting as the group at HBS. IMD just has its own corner of the market and I respect it for focusing on experience instead of trending towards youth like many other schools are doing these days.

Take this for what it's worth, but it's something I've come to realize throughout my life experiences:

Don't believe everything you read, see, or hear. Words on paper are deceiving just as much as appearances and talk.

Not everyone who appears to be a superstar is actually a superstar. And sometimes, those who you think are just "Average Joes" are the true superstars.

Don't forget to challenge all assumptions including your own.

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2009, 14:53
Hello Frns..

Just few fact based ques pertaining to IMD, Insead MBA program

1.Is it difficult to get a carrer change summer internship (jan intake) coz perhaps first half doest dont have ne electives ?

2.Do Jan intake batch gets the job/ join jobs in Jan the next yr or do thy have to wait for some time to join with other bschool batches ? ( say till Mar-Apr)

3. Do ppl gets placed in Industry (general management)/ Consulting to other locations like London, Tokyo or HK ?

I know I am asking for too much but still if somebdy can out things in perspective say 1.5 yrs ago (normal/ euphoria conditions) and current economic enviornment !!

rgds,
NJ

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [1], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2009, 13:45
This post received
KUDOS
nittinj wrote:
Hello Frns..

Just few fact based ques pertaining to IMD, Insead MBA program

1.Is it difficult to get a carrer change summer internship (jan intake) coz perhaps first half doest dont have ne electives ?

2.Do Jan intake batch gets the job/ join jobs in Jan the next yr or do thy have to wait for some time to join with other bschool batches ? ( say till Mar-Apr)

3. Do ppl gets placed in Industry (general management)/ Consulting to other locations like London, Tokyo or HK ?

I know I am asking for too much but still if somebdy can out things in perspective say 1.5 yrs ago (normal/ euphoria conditions) and current economic enviornment !!

rgds,
NJ

I don't mean to be harsh. You are aspiring to go to a reputed b-school. I mean at least, refrain from using meaningless phrases such as 'frns' and learn the proper usage of written English. Will greatly help in improving your GMAT Verbal. Just read this sentence again ..

Do ppl gets placed in Industry (general management)/ Consulting to other locations like London, Tokyo or HK ?
I mean really ????

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Kudos [?]: 96 [1], given: 24

Re: IMD, anyone?   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2009, 13:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ]