It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 13:08

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improving Admission Prospects

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Improving Admission Prospects [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 09:41
Hey Guys,
I'm Abhishek Vijaykumar from Bangalore India, I scored a 710 on my GMAT ( V40 Q48). I was hoping to apply for my Masters in Finance during the Fall 2018 batch and wanted to know what my prospects are and what I could do to improve my chances of getting into a good university. I completed my Engineering Degree in Computer Science in 2016 with a 73% aggregate percentage which is a First Class with Distinction according to the Visvesvaraya Technological University of Karnataka, India. Post my graduation I shifted to Finance and have worked in two companies. I initially had an internship with Wudstreet Investment Services which is a Financial Planning/Distributor of mutual Funds where I worked for a couple of months, and currently with an Investment Advisory Startup called Signal2Noise in the research team providing advisory services for traders/ Investors. The Advisory service I provide to traders involves both Intraday and positional recommendations in the Cash, Derivatives ( Futures and Options) and commodity markets. The Advisory service I provide to Investors involves using Fundamental Analysis to analyze long term prospects of companies. I'm also currently managing the account of clients with full autonomy to initiate trades. I'm a regular volunteer at an NGO, Youth For Seva. I have Served as a teacher for Junior and Middle School students in Public Schools and in other capacities in Excess of Five Hundred Hours. I also have several certifications and have taken quite a few online courses. In the interest of not dragging this post on anymore I will list them all below.

National Stock Exchange Certified Financial Markets Certifications
- Commercial Banking
- Financial Markets (Beginners Module)
- Fundamental Analysis
- Technical Analysis
- Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- Macroeconomics For Financial Markets
- Equity Research (Advanced Module)
- Financial Modeling (Advanced Module)
- Currently holding the NSE ( National Stock Exchange ) Certified Market Professional Level 2 Certificate

Securities and Exchange Board of India Examinations
-NISM-Series-X-A: Investment Adviser (Level 1) Certification Examination
-NISM-Series-X-B: Investment Adviser (Level 2) Certification Examination
- NISM-Series-XV: Research Analyst Certification Examination

The Other Courses include
- A two part accounting Course on Coursera
- Finance Theory course on MIT OpenCourseWare
- Aswath Damodaran's Youtube Course on Corporate Finance
- Aswath Damodaran's Youtube Course on Valuation

I have heard of the importance of quantitative trading strategies in trading and am planning to take up a course on the same. I am also planning to take up courses on Python, R and mathlab, which I feel will be of use.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Improving Admission Prospects [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 19:29
Hi Abhishek,

You've positioned yourself well (through taking quantitative courses and working in finance), but there are a couple of things to consider to improve your prospects for admission to the top Masters in Finance programs:

- Your GMAT quant score is on the lower end of what the top programs look for (for instance, the average quant score for programs like Princeton and MIT is 49.5). Given that there is time, you may want to retake the GMAT so that you can pull the quant score up

- You need to be able to explain why you are pursuing the Masters in Finance program - what are you hoping to do after getting the degree and why in particular will that degree help you?

I hope this helps. In addition to MBA admissions consulting, I have also successfully worked with clients to help them gain acceptance to Masters in Finance programs. Feel free to reach out if you would like to discuss further.

Best,
Shaifali (https://www.ivygroupe.com)

-

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 20:15
abhiblack396 wrote:
Hey Guys,
I'm Abhishek Vijaykumar from Bangalore India, I scored a 710 on my GMAT ( V40 Q48). I was hoping to apply for my Masters in Finance during the Fall 2018 batch and wanted to know what my prospects are and what I could do to improve my chances of getting into a good university. I completed my Engineering Degree in Computer Science in 2016 with a 73% aggregate percentage which is a First Class with Distinction according to the Visvesvaraya Technological University of Karnataka, India. Post my graduation I shifted to Finance and have worked in two companies. I initially had an internship with Wudstreet Investment Services which is a Financial Planning/Distributor of mutual Funds where I worked for a couple of months, and currently with an Investment Advisory Startup called Signal2Noise in the research team providing advisory services for traders/ Investors. The Advisory service I provide to traders involves both Intraday and positional recommendations in the Cash, Derivatives ( Futures and Options) and commodity markets. The Advisory service I provide to Investors involves using Fundamental Analysis to analyze long term prospects of companies. I'm also currently managing the account of clients with full autonomy to initiate trades. I'm a regular volunteer at an NGO, Youth For Seva. I have Served as a teacher for Junior and Middle School students in Public Schools and in other capacities in Excess of Five Hundred Hours. I also have several certifications and have taken quite a few online courses. In the interest of not dragging this post on anymore I will list them all below.

National Stock Exchange Certified Financial Markets Certifications
- Commercial Banking
- Financial Markets (Beginners Module)
- Fundamental Analysis
- Technical Analysis
- Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- Macroeconomics For Financial Markets
- Equity Research (Advanced Module)
- Financial Modeling (Advanced Module)
- Currently holding the NSE ( National Stock Exchange ) Certified Market Professional Level 2 Certificate

Securities and Exchange Board of India Examinations
-NISM-Series-X-A: Investment Adviser (Level 1) Certification Examination
-NISM-Series-X-B: Investment Adviser (Level 2) Certification Examination
- NISM-Series-XV: Research Analyst Certification Examination

The Other Courses include
- A two part accounting Course on Coursera
- Finance Theory course on MIT OpenCourseWare
- Aswath Damodaran's Youtube Course on Corporate Finance
- Aswath Damodaran's Youtube Course on Valuation

I have heard of the importance of quantitative trading strategies in trading and am planning to take up a course on the same. I am also planning to take up courses on Python, R and mathlab, which I feel will be of use.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Hi Abhishek,
Your profile does have a gap. Why did you pursue Engineering if you wanted to work in Financial Services ? Be prepared with a good answer to this question. I can see that you have pursued short online courses to be qualified to work in Finance Industry. But to know what you need to improve in your profile, you need to know where you want to go. My suggestion would be to look at profiles of current students of your target M.Fin Schools. Identify the gaps in admission requirements and take it from there. Not all M.Fin. schools are as competitive as MBA schools. Hope this helps. Good Luck !

Deep A.
Chief Counselling Officer
http://www.EduSimplified.com

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 38

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 20:43
Hey Shaifali,
Finance was always something I was really passionate about, I started trading at the age of 18 and built up a Business plan for a startup I was a part of at 19. I spend my free time reading annual reports and watching documentaries about financial crises. What I've understood about the Masters in Finance degree is that it's more focused on finance as opposed to an MBA. So that would be the main reason for me to take up this course, so I could continue working in field that I love in a more finance focused role with one of the hedge funds/investment banks that I dreamed about working for.

Regarding the GMAT score, I understand that 48 isn't good enough, but while looking through the MIT MS in Finance syllabus I noticed that I have already covered most of the quantitative topics that would be relevant for my masters during my engineering. So is there any way I can get around giving my GMAT again ?

Thank you so much for your reply , it's greatly appreciated :)

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 07:17
Hi Abhishek,

Unfortunately, there really is no way to get around it (sorry)! The best thing really would be to re-take the GMAT - that way you're covering all of your bases and not leaving any doubt in the minds of the Admissions Committee members!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 05:35
EduSimplified wrote:

Hi Abhishek,
Your profile does have a gap. Why did you pursue Engineering if you wanted to work in Financial Services ? Be prepared with a good answer to this question. I can see that you have pursued short online courses to be qualified to work in Finance Industry. But to know what you need to improve in your profile, you need to know where you want to go. My suggestion would be to look at profiles of current students of your target M.Fin Schools. Identify the gaps in admission requirements and take it from there. Not all M.Fin. schools are as competitive as MBA schools. Hope this helps. Good Luck !

I do have a good answer to that question, cause I have been asked that in almost every interview that I've ever attended after changing fields. I will definitely go through other students profiles, this is a really great suggestion. Thank you for replying.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 05:38
IvyGroupeCEO wrote:
Hi Abhishek,

Unfortunately, there really is no way to get around it (sorry)! The best thing really would be to re-take the GMAT - that way you're covering all of your bases and not leaving any doubt in the minds of the Admissions Committee members!

Best,
Shaifali

Then I will definetly think about giving the exam again , thank you so much for taking the time out to reply, I really appreciate it

Re: Improving Admission Prospects   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2017, 05:38

Improving Admission Prospects

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap