GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 11:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 904
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2014, 11:32
3
2
In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis of consumers having the power to change companies by the simple expedient of refusing to buy.

(a) with the simple thesis of consumers having -> with is an adverbial phrase and should modify the verb began. The modification doesn't make sense.
having -> verbing without any comma so should modify nearest noun which is "consumers". As "having X" is a modifier which can be junked and the sentence becomes
with a simple thesis of consumers -> Thesis is not of consumers


(b) which had the simple thesis of consumers having -> same issue as above.
(c) where the thesis was simple: consumers having -> It should be a Independent clause and having is not a verb.
(d) with a thesis that is a simple one: consumers have -> with -> same issue as that of a) and "this is a" -> extra word and not required.
(e) whose thesis was simple: consumers have -> Correct and whose can modify possessive form of inanimate objects.
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 19
Location: Indonesia
GPA: 3.19
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 18:58
Why use simple past tense to describe the thesis? In my thinking, the simple past tense use to describe a fact that happened in certained time frame. Thesis from a journal needs to be in simple present. Is that correct?

Sent from my D5503 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 09 Jan 2016
Posts: 120
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jan 2017, 07:23
In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis of consumers having the power to change companies by the simple expedient of refusing to buy.
A. with the simple thesis of consumers having
B. which had the simple thesis of consumers having
C. where the thesis was simple: consumers having
D. with a thesis that is a simple one: consumers have
E. whose thesis was simple: consumers have

Originally posted by Chemerical71 on 16 Jan 2017, 07:04.
Last edited by Vyshak on 16 Jan 2017, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Merged. Refer to the above discussions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Dec 2016
Posts: 23
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.2
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 13:37
Chemerical71 wrote:
In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis of consumers having the power to change companies by the simple expedient of refusing to buy.
A. with the simple thesis of consumers having
B. which had the simple thesis of consumers having
C. where the thesis was simple: consumers having
D. with a thesis that is a simple one: consumers have
E. whose thesis was simple: consumers have


all but E is clear, concise, and grammatical correct.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 212
Premium Member
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 00:00
daryayurlova wrote:
In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis of consumers having the power to change companies by the simple expedient of refusing to buy.
(a)
(b) which had the simple thesis of consumers having
(c) where the thesis was simple: consumers having
(d) with a thesis that is a simple one: consumers have
(e) whose thesis was simple: consumers have



Hi Experts mikemcgarry,

I know option A is having meaning issue. But I want to know is use of with is right here?

Please clarify.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 212
Premium Member
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 00:01
Hi Experts,

Could you please let me know here use of with is right or not in option A?

thanks
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3195
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 05:28
PathFinder007 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Could you please let me know here use of with is right or not in option A?

thanks


The prepositional modifier "with...." can be used as a verb modifier to depict the meaning "accompanied by".

I came here with a lot of hope.... correct ( "with a lot of hope" modifies "came" correctly).

Similarly the following sentence would be correct:

The council began publishing X with a simple thesis. ("with a simple Thesis" correctly modifies the verb "began".)

However A is wrong because the prepositional noun modifier "of consumers having..." is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Aug 2015
Posts: 82
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 08:27
In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis of consumers having the power to change companies by the simple expedient of refusing to buy.

(a) with the simple thesis of consumers having

The 'having' modifies the customers. Therefore, the sentence implies that Council began (X) with the thesis of customers. This is quite illogical.

(b) which had the simple thesis of consumers having

This option commits the same mistake as A does. Moreover, this option uses "had" which signifies that the thesis is no more fashioned by the magazine. This idea goes against the idea presented in the question.

(c) where the thesis was simple: consumers having

"Shopping for a Better World" is not a place and therefore the use of "where" is erroneous.

(d) with a thesis that is a simple one: consumers have

"with a simple thesis" seems to be a superior way of writing the same thing.

(e) whose thesis was simple: consumers have

"whose" refers to "the Council" and the use of "was" is also justified as it is a fair possibility that the same committee doesn't exist anymore.

Option E is better than option D. Thus, option E.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Aiming MBA!!
Joined: 19 Aug 2017
Posts: 140
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 01:13
Hi sayantanc2k,

Is the modified form of option A correct? Also, the meaning implied from "the Council began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis" is not making sense to me.

In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis : consumers have the power to change companies by the simple expedient of refusing to buy.
A. with the simple thesis : consumers have

Can you please help in the correct understanding?

Thanks.
-Varun
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3687
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 01:48
aceGMAT21 wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k,

Is the modified form of option A correct? Also, the meaning implied from "the Council began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis" is not making sense to me.

In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis : consumers have the power to change companies by the simple expedient of refusing to buy.
A. with the simple thesis : consumers have

Can you please help in the correct understanding?

Thanks.
-Varun


Hey aceGMAT21 ,

Yes, your modified version is correct now. It shows that its publication was accompanied by something and then it describes that something using a colon.

The biggest issue with A was the use of "having".

Does that make sense?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Aiming MBA!!
Joined: 19 Aug 2017
Posts: 140
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 02:09
abhimahna wrote:
aceGMAT21 wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k,

Is the modified form of option A correct? Also, the meaning implied from "the Council began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis" is not making sense to me.

In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis : consumers have the power to change companies by the simple expedient of refusing to buy.
A. with the simple thesis : consumers have

Can you please help in the correct understanding?

Thanks.
-Varun


Hey aceGMAT21 ,

Yes, your modified version is correct now. It shows that its publication was accompanied by something and then it describes that something using a colon.

The biggest issue with A was the use of "having".

Does that make sense?


Hey abhimahna,

Can you please elaborate on the meaning implied from "the Council began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis" as that is not making sense to me.

"Began publishing X with simple thesis" is sounding awkward to me. Can you elaborate on this part?

Thanks.
-Varun
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3687
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 02:28
aceGMAT21 wrote:
Hey abhimahna,

Can you please elaborate on the meaning implied from "the Council began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis" as that is not making sense to me.

"Began publishing X with simple thesis" is sounding awkward to me. Can you elaborate on this part?

Thanks.
-Varun


Hey aceGMAT21 ,

Here is the catch. Sounding awkward is not a reason to say something is incorrect.

Remember most of the times, the options that would sound awkward will be correct on GMAT.

There is nothing wrong with the sentence "Began publishing X with simple thesis".
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Aiming MBA!!
Joined: 19 Aug 2017
Posts: 140
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 02:40
abhimahna wrote:
aceGMAT21 wrote:
Hey abhimahna,

Can you please elaborate on the meaning implied from "the Council began publishing Shopping for a Better World, with the simple thesis" as that is not making sense to me.

"Began publishing X with simple thesis" is sounding awkward to me. Can you elaborate on this part?

Thanks.
-Varun


Hey aceGMAT21 ,

Here is the catch. Sounding awkward is not a reason to say something is incorrect.

Remember most of the times, the options that would sound awkward will be correct on GMAT.

There is nothing wrong with the sentence "Began publishing X with simple thesis".


Yep, that's true. :)
Re: In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping &nbs [#permalink] 19 Oct 2017, 02:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In 1988, the Council on Economic Priorities began publishing Shopping

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.