It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 19:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2014, 10:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2014, 10:40
A. The illegal lobster harvesting was not so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters in Belukia’s territorial waters had sharply declined by 1996.
If this is negated, the argument falls apart - Hence A) If it has declined the argument that the gap of annual catch between 1992 and 1996 can be attributed to illegal catch.

B. The average annual lobster catch, in tons, of an outlaw fishing boat has increased steadily since 1992. -Out of scope as we are talking about the 1996 illegal catching of lobsters.

C. Outlaw fishing boats do not, as a group, harvest more lobsters than do licensed lobster-fishing boats. - We are not comparing the legal and illegal catch

D. The annual legal lobster harvest in Belukia in 1996 was not significantly less than 9,000 tons. - Lets say it is 4k tons. The argument doesn't break or support the argument.

E. A significant proportion of Belukia’s operators of licensed lobster-fishing boats went out of business between 1992 and 1996. - it doesn't affect the argument as per the premise - "despite there being no reduction in the level of legal lobster fishing activity"

I pick A)

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 919 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2014, 21:59
Hi e-gmat,

I am not able to get this one.

(A). says that the illegal harvesting was not so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters declined by 1996.

Conclusion: Attributes 9000 fall to illegal harvesting.

Even if I negate (A) that illegal harvesting was so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters declined by 1996.

That is what we are arguing in conclusion that illegal harvesting is the cause for the figure 9000 fall in 1996.

Plz advise

Source: GMATPrep

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 919 [0], given: 322

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2014, 21:06

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 48

Schools: Oxford"18 (D)

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2015, 22:01
Archit143 wrote:
Superb question , To answer this, full proof reading of the argument is reqd.

despite there being no reduction in the level of legal lobster fishing activity, the local catch was 9,000 tons below pre-1992 levels. It is therefore highly likely that the outlaw fishing boats harvested about 9,000 tons of lobster illegally that year.

The highlighted part of the argument implies that despite extensive legal lobster harvesting the number fell only to 9000, that means the author was expecting it to fall by a huge margin.......Hence, the illegal harvesters did not do much damage to the lobsters population, that is the reason, why, even after extensive harvesting the number fell just to 9000

Hence the answer must be A!!!

Consider Kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit

your proof reading is simply wrong..surprised to see some likes :)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2015, 08:32
The conclusion of the argument is that the outlaw fishing boats are highly likely to harvest about 9,000 tons of lobsters in Belukian waters in 1996.
The basis for this claim is that:
1. In 1992, outlaw fishing boats started to harvest lobsters in this area
2. After that, the annual volume harvested of lobsters declined.
3. In 1996, the annual volume harvested of legal fishing boats declined by 9,000 tons in comparison to the pre-1992 levels.
4. In 1996, the legal fishing activity is not reduced.
Then the writer must assume that the total volume of lobsters which can be harvested in 1996 is about the same as in pre-1992.
A - CORRECT. If it's true, then there is another reason why the level of lobsters harvested by the legal fishing boats have declined by 9,000.
B - This has no impact on the conclusion.
C - This has no impact on the conclusion.
D - Not relevant
E - Out of scope.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2015, 23:18

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 67 [1], given: 137

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2015, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
A. The illegal lobster harvesting was not so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters in Belukia’s territorial waters had sharply declined by 1996.

Note: Cachable doesn't mean catched lobsters. Option is talking about total population from which both legal and illegal catches are executed.
So, if legal harvesters couldn't get them, who got them? That's right! --> Illegal Harvesters.

Answer Choice A is correct.

This was a tough nut for me to crack. Alternatively, I would rather solve it by elimination.

B. The average annual lobster catch, in tons, of an outlaw fishing boat has increased steadily since 1992.
Whats steadily? Like 1 ton per year? Would that be enough! NO!

C. Outlaw fishing boats do not, as a group, harvest more lobsters than do licensed lobster-fishing boats.
Again! Harvest how much more? No information!

D. The annual legal lobster harvest in Belukia in 1996 was not significantly less than 9,000 tons.
Argument is comparing the difference. Not absolute values of the catch.

E. A significant proportion of Belukia’s operators of licensed lobster-fishing boats went out of business between 1992 and 1996. I fell them, but this makes no difference.

And we are left with A.

Its not over..

Kudos [?]: 67 [1], given: 137

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 145

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2015, 03:54
This post received
KUDOS
bsv180985 wrote:
In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from the territorial waters of the country of Belukia. Soon after, the annual tonnage of lobster legally harvested in Belukian waters began declining; in 1996, despite there being no reduction in the level of legal lobster fishing activity, the local catch was 9,000 tons below pre-1992 levels. It is therefore highly likely that the outlaw fishing boats harvested about 9,000 tons of lobster illegally that year.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

B. The average annual lobster catch, in tons, of an outlaw fishing boat has increased steadily since 1992.
C. Outlaw fishing boats do not, as a group, harvest more lobsters than do licensed lobster-fishing boats.
D. The annual legal lobster harvest in Belukia in 1996 was not significantly less than 9,000 tons.
E. A significant proportion of Belukia’s operators of licensed lobster-fishing boats went out of business between 1992 and 1996.

Hi @Egmat@

Although I selected the Choice A, as this is the only option that I found alright, I am not able to understand the argument AT ALL.
Please somebody help me understand the argument.
Does it mean that

Before 1992......> Total local catch = legal catch
1992-------------> local catch = illegal +legal
1996................> same

then in 1996, the legal catch was same, total local catch was below 1992 levels by 9000.
so, in 1996, illegal catch must be 9000.
So....if we say that x is the legal catch which has not changed, in 1992, catch was 18000+x...
so what next?? I am lost..

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 145

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 647

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 15:17
my two pre-assumptions that
1) no shortage of fishes in 1996 than fishes in 1992,
2) the legal boats in 1996 are not less efficient than legal boats in 1992

if there is a drastic shortage of the fishes in 1996, conclusion falls apart
so considering this, choice A almost says the same thing

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 647

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 04:39
In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from the territorial waters of the country of Belukia. Soon after, the annual tonnage of lobster legally harvested in Belukian waters began declining; in 1996, despite there being no reduction in the level of legal lobster fishing activity, the local catch was 9,000 tons below pre-1992 levels. It is therefore highly likely that the outlaw fishing boats harvested about 9,000 tons of lobster illegally that year.

1992 1996

Illegal 0 9000
Legal 18000 9000

So the argument is that 9000 from legal has gone to illegal lobster harvesting.
what could be other reason

1. Population of lobster has reduced in the area where harvesting happens.

A. The illegal lobster harvesting was not so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters in Belukia’s territorial waters had sharply declined by 1996

The illegal lobster harvesting was so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters in Belukia’s territorial waters had sharply declined by 1996 =>> aligned with prethinking

The average annual lobster catch, in tons, of an outlaw fishing boat has not increased steadily since 1992. So that doesn't mean it can't account for 9000.

E. A significant proportion of Belukia’s operators of licensed lobster-fishing boats were out of business between 1992 and 1996 : We are already told that no reduction in the level of legal lobster fishing activity, so we have to take it on face value. May be some other business has started.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 342

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 08:13

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 109

GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2016, 11:42
Quick and easy A. If this assumption were untrue, the conclusion would not hold.

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 109

Expert Post
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 02:07
bsv180985 wrote:

E. A significant proportion of Belukia’s operators of licensed lobster-fishing boats went out of business between 1992 and 1996.

Fact:in 1996, despite there being no reduction in the level of legal lobster fishing activity, the local catch was 9,000 tons below pre-1992 levels.

Missing Information: 9000 tons less of legal harvesting was not due to reason other than illegal harvesting in 1996.

Conclusion:It is therefore highly likely that the outlaw fishing boats harvested about 9,000 tons of lobster illegally that year.

Choice A best matches the missing information.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/regularcourse.php

Premium Material
Standardized Approaches

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 16

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 08:41
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 20:44
hi guys,

can anyone please explain how can we say that harvesting was "extensive"? here is just number 9000 is given. Whether its too much to low... how anyone can assume?

Regards,
Pratik

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 48

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 04:38
Hello,
I am still not able to understand how can "A" be an assumption. All the explanations given till now are as if the people knew the OA and are just trying to prove that A is correct. No one has been able to give a logical reasoning.
Please help with this one by providing a step by step break up of the argument and then how "A" is the OA.
Awaiting a quick response.
Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 205

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.65
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 03:45
This post received
KUDOS
bsv180985 wrote:

(A) The illegal lobster harvesting was not so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters in Belukia’s territorial waters had sharply declined by 1996.
(B) The average annual lobster catch, in tons, of an outlaw fishing boat has increased steadily since 1992.
(C) Outlaw fishing boats do not, as a group, harvest more lobsters than do licensed lobster-fishing boats.
(D) The annual legal lobster harvest in Belukia in 1996 was not significantly less than 9,000 tons.
(E) A significant proportion of Belukia’s operators of licensed lobster-fishing boats went out of business between 1992 and 1996.

This is tough question, and OE has given me some light.

Premise :
1. 1992 start ILLEGAL, so LEGAL catch began declining.
2. In 1996, no reduction of legal activity, but the number decline 9.000 tons.

Conclusion : ILLEGAL must catch 9.000 tons.

Key from OE is: how can one infer specific number (9.000 ton)?
After reading this key from OE, I got some enlightenment.

(A) The illegal lobster harvesting was not so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters in Belukia’s territorial waters had sharply declined by 1996.
Try to negate : If population SHARPLY declined, specific conclusion about 9.000 ton cannot be inferred. BANG!

(B) The average annual lobster catch, in tons, of an outlaw fishing boat has increased steadily since 1992.
If increased steadily, how can one infer 9.000 ton?
Btw, this was my first answer :lol: :lol:

Hope it helps.

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 205

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 13:49
bsv180985 wrote:

(C) Outlaw fishing boats do not, as a group, harvest more lobsters than do licensed lobster-fishing boats.
(D) The annual legal lobster harvest in Belukia in 1996 was not significantly less than 9,000 tons.
(E) A significant proportion of Belukia’s operators of licensed lobster-fishing boats went out of business between 1992 and 1996.

1994- Total = 27,000. Legal catch = 27,000. Illegal Catch- nil.
1996 -Legal catch (reduces by 9000 = 27,000-9,000 = 18,000; Illegal catch as per conclusion = 9,000. How can this happen ? Only when, the total remains same (18,000+9,000= 27,000)

A says: The illegal lobster harvesting was not so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters in Belukia’s territorial waters had sharply declined by 1996. .
The illegal lobster harvesting did not make the total population of catchable lobsters to decline. Had these declined, the figure of 9,000 illegal catch would not be possible.

mikemcgarry : Hi Mike,

Thanks for all your prompt responses uptil now! :-)

Could you help me understand if my reasoning specified above is correct.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2017, 13:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap