GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 16:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 08:43
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

i have a doubt related to the sentence structure. The opening sentence is an prepositional phrase ,"In 1995 Richard Stallman". So How could Richard Stallman can be the subject of the verb "testified". Although the other options were stands incorrect.

Thanks
Nitin Singh

@Nitanika19

the prepositional phrase is "In 1995" - Richard Stallman starts after the prepositional phrase and not part of it.

--

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post useful

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.97
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 08:24
In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

(A) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
(D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is
(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

>> I was down to A and D - because in the underlined part - we are describing a law/laws - which is/are still valid, thus past usage is incorrect. However, OA does not mention this particular aspect in their answer explanation. any thoughts?????

KUDOS!!!, I need them too :)

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2015, 23:22
[quote="wininblue"]in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbookof elementary physics.

A laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and - Correct.

B laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is - which not used correctly, no comma after 1845.

C laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and - wrong 'namely' is not used correctly.

D laws, an aobservation about electric current first made in 1845, it is - wrong there cannot be two independent clauses in a sentence without a connector.

E laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is - wrong seems like the electric current was made in 1845.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 09:24
Hello guys,I fill D as correct. If I am wrong ,please,explain
Intern
Intern
WE: Sales (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 17:31
A laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and - Correct.

B laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is - AFTER AND IT IS PLACD WRONGLY

C laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and - wrong 'namely' is not used correctly.

D laws, an aobservation about electric current first made in 1845, it is - wrong there cannot be two independent clauses in a sentence without a connector.

E laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is - wrong seems like the electric current was made in 1845.
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 13:32
Can we say that options B,C and E have a meaning shift?

an observation about X - this is still true and hence was an observation - seems incorrect

General truth is expressed using present tense in simple form.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 01:05
manohar0265 wrote:
Hello guys,I fill D as correct. If I am wrong ,please,explain

D cannot be the answer because it is grammatically incorrect.

warriorguy wrote:
Can we say that options B,C and E have a meaning shift?

an observation about X - this is still true and hence was an observation - seems incorrect

General truth is expressed using present tense in simple form.

I would never prefer to go for meaning aspect when I can see that the options are grammatically incorrect.

(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is --> which must refer to laws. Laws are plural. Hence, using "was" is incorrect.

(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and --> Fragment. Two ICs are joined with a comma.

(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is --> Same as B

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 04:43
abhimahna wrote:

I would never prefer to go for meaning aspect when I can see that the options are grammatically incorrect.

I feel both meaning and grammar are important - but the intended meaning of my question was apart from the errors (mentioned in all other posts), I see a meaning shift in the options mentioned.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 11:13
A. seems correct.
B. which was - unnecessary wordy, it is ----again not needed
C. namely, it was --redundant
D. it is .....not clear what it is
E. that was .....is not required.... ,...., is not required
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 11:28
sandalphon wrote:
In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 40
Page: 41
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:

Answer is A
It is choice B is ambiguous.
D has severe flaw in meaning and it is ambiguous
E is also not correct and is wordy and that refers to laws so plural verb should come.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 02:37
sandalphon wrote:

GMAT Official Guide 12

Video Explanations:

E is wrong because "that was..." is wrong. it should be "that is...". one of the laws is an observation. this is timeless fact.
his law is an observation about photons. this is timeless fact. present simple is used for a timeless fact or a condition which , we think , exist indefinitely.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 06:51
sandalphon wrote:

I have read the thread.
So what is the main problem in D?
1. It - is used wrong. (Frankly speaking do not see big problem in it).
2. There has to be ";" between "1845" and "it"?
3. Or A is just more concise? "it is" is redundant and we can use "and".
Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 13:03
Eliminated "C", "D", and "E" initially; from the choices between 'A' and 'B', eliminated "B" as "which" is refers to one or to laws. Thus, 'A' is a correct choice - The sentence is using parallel structure appropriately.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 03:26
sandalphon wrote:

I just wanted to highlight on the structure of the correct sentence.

If we separate both the modifiers, it will appear as follows,

Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845
Kirchhoff's laws, now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics

Both of them makes perfect sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 06:52
sandalphon wrote:

GMAT Official Guide 12

Video Explanations:

I want to talk about choice E.
the first thing, was and is, why to make two tenses.
the second.
to show a condition which, we think, exist indefinite, forever, we use simple present. "was" in e is wrong.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 01:46
daagh wrote:
B states that laws which was an observation; laws is plural and was is singular . Secondly, the pronoun it has no antecedent. Does it refer to the observation or one of the laws or the patent or what? Therefore B is ruled out

daagh
Sir,
can you please help me understand why 'it' is wrong --understandably it is not clear what it refers to (observation / laws )

1) can it not simply refer to the closest antecedent ? -- if the meaning n logic stays intact
..... he got a patient n it is now included in every textbook

2) Also, the use of 'now' is confusing me --can you please help with that as well ?

In 1995 Richard Stallman, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now

A laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
B laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
C laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
D laws, an aobservation about electric current first made in 1845, it is
E laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is
Re: In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jan 2018, 01:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 57 posts ] 

In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap