Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Modifiersx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, te [#permalink]
I had the same question on (E) after reading GMATNinja's post, but thanks GMATNinja for clarifying it and VIGHNESHKAMATH for asking this. I think there is one more reason to eliminate (E), but I am not so sure. Let me share my rationale below. Can you please confirm if it is correct?

(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

What is the highlighted verb phrase parallel to? It should be structurally and logically parallel to one of the following phrases:

1. was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845,
But, the intended meaning is: "first made in 1845" and "is now included in ..." must be parallel. Hence, logically this fails.

or, 2. first made in 1845
This is a non-essential modifier wrapped by comma pair and is placed right before "and". I am not sure if it can structurally be parallel to a verb phrase right after the "and". Hence, structurally this fails.

Neither 1 nor 2 is parallel with the highlighted verb phrase. Hence, (E) can be eliminated on the grounds of a lack of proper parallelism.

GMATNinja wrote:
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:

Hello GMAT NINJA,

Why the modifier ''first made in 1945'' in option E cannot reach back to the ''observation'' by running over the prepositional phrase ''about electric current''. I have heard that such usage is right in GMAT. And even parallelism seems right to me, in option E.

My understanding was opposite of what you communicated in E, regarding modifier placement in this question. I eliminated options A-D thinking that ''first made in 1845'' used in all other options, without preceded by comma, is giving a wrong sense that electric current was first made in 1845.

Only definite elimination that seems plausible to me in option E is wrong usage of ''was'' for the law which is universal.

Please let me know if above understanding is correct.

Regards
Vighnesh

Yeah, that's fair. Maybe it would it be more precise to say that when I read (E) the first time, it seemed as though "first made in 1845" was illogically modifying the "electric current" than that the noun modifier has to describe what it's next to in that context.

So if we concede that the modifier could, in theory, work in either case, we'd want to find something else to use as our decision point. And, as you noted, the use of "was" in (E) makes it sound as though the law is no longer something we can observe. Combine (E)'s shaky logic with the fact that (A) is clearer and more concise, and we have enough to justify picking (A) as our answer.

I hope that helps!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, te [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
I had the same question on (E) after reading GMATNinja's post, but thanks GMATNinja for clarifying it and VIGHNESHKAMATH for asking this. I think there is one more reason to eliminate (E), but I am not so sure. Let me share my rationale below. Can you please confirm if it is correct?

(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

What is the highlighted verb phrase parallel to? It should be structurally and logically parallel to one of the following phrases:

1. was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845,
But, the intended meaning is: "first made in 1845" and "is now included in ..." must be parallel. Hence, logically this fails.

or, 2. first made in 1845
This is a non-essential modifier wrapped by comma pair and is placed right before "and". I am not sure if it can structurally be parallel to a verb phrase right after the "and". Hence, structurally this fails.

Neither 1 nor 2 is parallel with the highlighted verb phrase. Hence, (E) can be eliminated on the grounds of a lack of proper parallelism.

GMATNinja wrote:
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:

Hello GMAT NINJA,

Why the modifier ''first made in 1945'' in option E cannot reach back to the ''observation'' by running over the prepositional phrase ''about electric current''. I have heard that such usage is right in GMAT. And even parallelism seems right to me, in option E.

My understanding was opposite of what you communicated in E, regarding modifier placement in this question. I eliminated options A-D thinking that ''first made in 1845'' used in all other options, without preceded by comma, is giving a wrong sense that electric current was first made in 1845.

Only definite elimination that seems plausible to me in option E is wrong usage of ''was'' for the law which is universal.

Please let me know if above understanding is correct.

Regards
Vighnesh

Yeah, that's fair. Maybe it would it be more precise to say that when I read (E) the first time, it seemed as though "first made in 1845" was illogically modifying the "electric current" than that the noun modifier has to describe what it's next to in that context.

So if we concede that the modifier could, in theory, work in either case, we'd want to find something else to use as our decision point. And, as you noted, the use of "was" in (E) makes it sound as though the law is no longer something we can observe. Combine (E)'s shaky logic with the fact that (A) is clearer and more concise, and we have enough to justify picking (A) as our answer.

I hope that helps!

Hello Pankaj0901,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, your reasoning is partially correct; the first parallel construction you have proposed here is the one that applies to Option E, and as you have noted, it is not logically parallel; it is, however, grammatically parallel, so the error in Option E is best described as a meaning error rather than a parallelism one.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 630 Q46 V31
Send PM
Re: In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, te [#permalink]
[quote="sandalphon"]In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

(A) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and

(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is

(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and

(D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is

(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

In all the options except A , "one of Kirchoff's laws" has been spoken about in past tense, and hence we can easily mark A as the answer since kirchoff's laws are still the same and facts should be stated using simple present tense.
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is

The "which" jumps out at me first in (B): "which was an observation..." modifies "one of Kirchoff's laws." That's OK, though we probably don't really even need the phrase "which was." It's not a big deal, but (A) is more succinct because it skips those extra couple of words. That's not a definite error, but it's a mild reason to prefer (A) over (B).

The bigger problem is the parallelism. Following the "and", we have a brand-new clause: "it is now included in virtually every textbook..." But I don't think that the clause is logically parallel to anything. And more importantly: there's no good reason to start a brand-new clause here, partly because we're just trying to describe the observation, so a simple modifier would be cleaner than a brand-new clause.

So (B) isn't a complete disaster, but it's definitely not as good as (A).

GMATNinja
Sir, hope you're well enough. I read the whole explanation but a little query on choice B.
In B, isn't the underlined part enough to make those clause parallel? Appreciating your help.
In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, te [#permalink]
Quote:
In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

Hi experts,
One of the prominent expert in gmatclub says that we can cross out choice B and E as there is a subject verb issue. Is it the right way? My though says that ''laws' is not the subject in both B and E; it is ''one (singular) of the Kirchhoff's laws''. Can I have your thought, please?
Thanks__
AjiteshArun wrote:
rsrighosh wrote:
GMATNinja

I was skeptical with option A because of the phrase 'and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.'

I was searching for the option that contains and "is" now included.... as now (meaning present) and included (past tense).

Where did I go wrong here?
I am unable to justify that a past tense is used for the word "now".

Request to give some insights.

Hi rsrighosh,

Made and included may look like complete verbs, but they're actually participle modifiers.

1. an observation about electric current (a) first made in 1845 and (b) now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics ← The observation doesn't make anything. It gets "made". This tells us that we're dealing not with complete verbs but with participles (verb forms).

Made and included are both used as a shorter way to introduce a relative clause (a descriptive element often headed by that). These modifiers also don't carry a tense (which is a property of complete verbs) of their own. That is, with such modifiers, we don't have a sure way to know the tense of the verb being replaced. For example, depending on the context, "a phone made by Apple" could be read as "a phone that is made by Apple", or it could be read as "a phone that was made by Apple". The important thing to remember here is that made, without a helping verb like is or was before it, isn't a complete verb.

So the made and included that we see in (1) are meant to be read like this:

2. an observation about electric current (a) that was first made in 1845 and (b) is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics

If we use verbs in (2), without that, we'll end up with a comma splice error. A comma splice occurs when independent clauses (subject-verb combinations that can stand alone) are joined using nothing but a comma.

3. Richard Stallman testified that a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current was first made in 1845 and is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics. ← Both the underlined portions are independent clauses, and they have only a comma between them. This is incorrect on the GMAT.

AjiteshArun
This one is very helpful post I've ever seen in this thread. I've read whole thread but facing severe issue with 'made' and 'included'. What is this is kinds of following example?
The explanation made me happy...
In this example, we did not need any helping verb! I'm just helpless in this issue!
Thanks__
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
rsrighosh wrote:
GMATNinja

I was skeptical with option A because of the phrase 'and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.'

I was searching for the option that contains and "is" now included.... as now (meaning present) and included (past tense).

Where did I go wrong here?
I am unable to justify that a past tense is used for the word "now".

Request to give some insights.

Hi rsrighosh,

Made and included may look like complete verbs, but they're actually participle modifiers.

1. an observation about electric current (a) first made in 1845 and (b) now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics ← The observation doesn't make anything. It gets "made". This tells us that we're dealing not with complete verbs but with participles (verb forms).

Made and included are both used as a shorter way to introduce a relative clause (a descriptive element often headed by that). These modifiers also don't carry a tense (which is a property of complete verbs) of their own. That is, with such modifiers, we don't have a sure way to know the tense of the verb being replaced. For example, depending on the context, "a phone made by Apple" could be read as "a phone that is made by Apple", or it could be read as "a phone that was made by Apple". The important thing to remember here is that made, without a helping verb like is or was before it, isn't a complete verb.

2. an observation about electric current (a) that was first made in 1845 and (b) is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics

If we use verbs in (2), without that, we'll end up with a comma splice error. A comma splice occurs when independent clauses (subject-verb combinations that can stand alone) are joined using nothing but a comma.

3. Richard Stallman testified that a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current was first made in 1845 and is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics. ← Both the underlined portions are independent clauses, and they have only a comma between them. This is incorrect on the GMAT.

AjiteshArun
This one is very helpful post I've ever seen in this thread. I've read whole thread but facing severe issue with 'made' and 'included'. What is this is kinds of following example?
In this example, we did not need any helping verb! I'm just helpless in this issue!
Thanks__

Hello TheUltimateWinner,

To clarify, "made" and "included" are past participles in the context of this sentence, but they are also the simple past tense forms of the verbs "make" and "include", respectively.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
Hi rsrighosh,

AjiteshArun
This one is very helpful post I've ever seen in this thread. I've read whole thread but facing severe issue with 'made' and 'included'. What kinds of following example?
Thanks__

Hello TheUltimateWinner,

To clarify, "made" and "included" are past participles in the context of this sentence, but they are also the simple past tense forms of the verbs "make" and "include", respectively.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Yes, I know that but my query is somewhat different! Waiting for Mr AjiteshArun 's reply. Thank you again...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

The biggest thing that jumps out at me here is the word "and." Something has to be parallel with the phrase that follows the word "and." And I think we're in good shape: "... one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics." Cool, "first made in 1845" and "now included in virtually every textbook" both modify "an observation about electric current" -- and that makes perfect sense.

So let's keep (A).

Quote:

The "which" jumps out at me first in (B): "which was an observation..." modifies "one of Kirchoff's laws." That's OK, though we probably don't really even need the phrase "which was." It's not a big deal, but (A) is more succinct because it skips those extra couple of words. That's not a definite error, but it's a mild reason to prefer (A) over (B).

The bigger problem is the parallelism. Following the "and", we have a brand-new clause: "it is now included in virtually every textbook..." But I don't think that the clause is logically parallel to anything. And more importantly: there's no good reason to start a brand-new clause here, partly because we're just trying to describe the observation, so a simple modifier would be cleaner than a brand-new clause.

So (B) isn't a complete disaster, but it's definitely not as good as (A).

Quote:

This is a classic comma splice:

• Independent clause #1: "In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws..."
  • Independent clause #2: "...it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics."

Those two independent clauses are separated by only a comma, and that's not cool. (Commas and comma splices are very briefly discussed in this YouTube video on GMAT punctuation if you're curious to learn more about that crap.) So we can eliminate (C).

Quote:

(D) has basically the same comma splice problem as (C):

• Independent clause #1: "In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws..."
  • Independent clause #2: "...it is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics."

So (D) is out, too.

Quote:

(E) isn't a total disaster, but it's definitely not as good as (A).

For starters, I'm not sure why we would say something like "...one of Kirchoff's laws that was an observation about electric current..." First, there's no good reason to emphasize the past tense in this case: sure, the observation was first made in the past, but there's no good reason to suggest that the law itself somehow existed only in the past -- and that's exactly what seems to be happening in (A). Second, the phrase "one of Kirchoff's laws that was an observation about electric current" suggests that Kirchoff had other laws that were NOT about electric current, and we have no idea if that's actually the case.

The other problem is the placement of the modifier "first made in 1845." This is subtle and annoying, but because "first made in 1845" is surrounded by commas (an appositive phrase, if you like grammar jargon), it seems to modify ONLY the preceding noun, "electric current." So if we think about the sentence strictly and literally, it's saying that electric current was first made in 1845, and that's really not what the sentence is trying to say -- it's trying to say that the observation was first made in 1845, not the electric current itself.

So (E) can be eliminated, and (A) is the best we can do.

Hi GmatNinja,
Thank you for your explanation.

I just made one observation that helped me eliminate the options quickly.
All the options use "was an observation"
The use of past tense was indicates that it no longer is an observation?

I eliminated all options except A based on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Hi rsrighosh,

AjiteshArun
This one is very helpful post I've ever seen in this thread. I've read whole thread but facing severe issue with 'made' and 'included'. What kinds of following example?
Thanks__[/quote][/quote]

Hi
Maybe I can help you with this.
In your example:
The explanation made me happy.
Here made is a verb. The reason is that you cannot place that is/that were before made. The sentence will not stand.

In the sentence given, here is how you place was/is without disturbing the sentence.
an observation about electric current (a) that was first made in 1845 and (b) is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics
So both made and now are modifiers.

The rule you need to know to check if a word is playing a role of a verb of participle modifier is that:
If you temporarily place that was/that is before the word you are testing and the sentence stands, the word is a modifier. If the sentence cannot stand or does not make sense the word functions as a verb in the sentence.

Hoping this helps you or someone else.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Hi Experts,
This question is not specific to this question but SC/CR questions in general wherein I am so close to the correct answer but yet so far. I am down to two options like in this case : A and E and ended up marking E. How to overcome this hurdle? How much ever practicing I do, the result is the same.. Please advise.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Anupama_1090 wrote:
Hi Experts,
This question is not specific to this question but SC/CR questions in general wherein I am so close to the correct answer but yet so far. I am down to two options like in this case : A and E and ended up marking E. How to overcome this hurdle? How much ever practicing I do, the result is the same.. Please advise.
Thanks.

Hi Anupama,

I’m not an expert but I have struggled with this as well.
A few things that I did that have helped me with my SC accuracy.

Firstly, I went through all the rules.
I started doing 12 questions at a time in untimed conditions with the sole purpose of getting them right.
I wrote down my reasoning for each option. I know this is tedious. But it really did give me the maximum return.
I would then compare what I was thinking versus what I read on these forums and I made note of every mistake.

I continued doing this till I felt very comfortable with the rules.
After a point certain stuff jumps out at you.

Then you can start practicing with time.

If you have done many questions already, go through previous questions and figure out really why you got them wrong. Honestly I don’t really think it matters if you have done a question before as long as your logic is clear.

But it’s important to grasp what the question is asking and how the test maker has laid out traps.

Another important thing to do is to figure out the types of questions you usually get wrong. It could be a rule you’re missing or maybe the question is long. Identifying a weak area helps you work on it and improve so that you don’t make the same mistakes again.

Without knowing how you have prepped so far it will be difficult to give you more advice.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anupama_1090 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Thanks.

There's no quick fix for this, but it's worth noting that many verbal questions have one very tempting INCORRECT answer choice and one not-so-tempting CORRECT answer choice. Getting rid of the other three choices is often relatively easy, but deciding between the last two is often pretty darned hard.

On one hand, it's good that you aren't eliminating the correct answer choice! But unfortunately, you could simply be struggling with the hardest part of the question.

Keep in mind that you don't need to be perfect on the verbal section to get a great score. If you find yourself in this situation largely on harder questions, then that might not be such a bad thing! You might just need to make your best guess and move on to make sure you have the time and energy to tackle the more doable questions. (For more on time management on the GMAT, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAHCLO2zN0M.)

If your time management is already in great shape and you're simply missing a lot of easy and/or medium questions, then you likely have more work to do. If that's the case, check out our CR guide or our SC guide to see if your technique needs any tweaking.

I hope that helps a bit, and have fun studying!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts