Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619019 [26]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29930 [7]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [2]
Given Kudos: 117
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: In a certain sock drawer, there are 4 pairs of black socks, 3 pairs of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
In a certain sock drawer, there are 4 pairs of black socks, 3 pairs of gray socks and 2 pairs of orange socks. If socks are removed at random without replacement, what is the minimum number of socks that must be removed in order to ensure that two socks of the same color have been removed?

A. 4
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

8, 6, and 4 socks respectively.

If we take 1 of each we then have 1, 1, 1

In order to have a pair we need one more.

Answer choice A

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: In a certain sock drawer, there are 4 pairs of black socks, 3 pairs of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
In a certain sock drawer, there are 4 pairs of black socks, 3 pairs of gray socks and 2 pairs of orange socks. If socks are removed at random without replacement, what is the minimum number of socks that must be removed in order to ensure that two socks of the same color have been removed?

A. 4
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

We can remove 1 black, 1 gray, and 1 orange sock first. The next sock selection of any color would ensure that at least one pair of socks of the same color has been removed.

Answer: A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Send PM
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 4
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

If we remove 1 black sock, 1 gray sock, and 1 orange sock, then we still don't have a matching sock. So, we can select 3 socks WITHOUT having a matching pair.
However, if we pick ANY sock for our fourth sock, that sock MUST match one of the first 3 socks selected.

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent

Hi.

the problem i have with these questions is as follows:

when it says 'randomly pick' .. does this mean we are picking WITHOUT looking? meaning i put my hand into the drawer and pick one - in which case i do not know which color i will get

OR

am i allowed to pick any color i want...in which case, its not random?

all the answers are deliberately picking one sock of each color....is that random?

help will be greatly appreciated
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1355 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
In a certain sock drawer, there are 4 pairs of black socks, 3 pairs of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 4
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

Avoid removing two socks of the same color "while you can"... we call this the "Murphy´s Law argument": if something can (still) go wrong, it will!

Once one sock of each color was removed, the fourth´s removal cannot go wrong... hence the correct answer is (A).

We follow the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi All,

The concept in these types of questions is based on the 'worst case scenario' - to guarantee that something will happen, you have to focus on the 'extreme/longest' way that it could happen. Here, we have 4 black socks, 3 gray socks and 2 orange socks. The question asks for the MINIMUM number of socks that would be need to be randomly removed from the drawer to guarantee that a matching pair of socks would drawn. Since we have the answer choices to work with, we could certainly start with the smallest answer and see if it "fits" the given information. Even if you didn't have the answers though, you can still work to the solution by TESTing some examples:

Let's start with 2 socks - is it possible that you could draw 2 socks and NOT get a matching pair? Certainly - there are several examples. If we pull one black sock and one gray sock, then we do NOT have a matching pair. Thus, 2 socks is NOT enough to guarantee a matching pair.

Next, let's try 3 socks - is it possible that you could draw 3 socks and NOT get a matching pair? Absolutely - if we pull one black sock, one gray sock and one orange sock, then we do NOT have a matching pair. Thus, 3 socks is NOT enough to guarantee a matching pair.

Finally, let's try 4 socks - is it possible that you could draw 4 socks and NOT get a matching pair? NO, and here's why - if we pull one black sock, one gray sock and one orange sock....we would still have to draw one more sock - and that 4th sock would match one of the 3 colors that we had already pulled. So we WOULD have a matching pair and 4 socks IS enough to guarantee a matching pair.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mansoor50 wrote:
Hi.

the problem i have with these questions is as follows:

when it says 'randomly pick' .. does this mean we are picking WITHOUT looking? meaning i put my hand into the drawer and pick one - in which case i do not know which color i will get

OR

am i allowed to pick any color i want...in which case, its not random?

all the answers are deliberately picking one sock of each color....is that random?

help will be greatly appreciated

Hi Mansoor50.

You ask a great question.

While everyone has answered in the same way, the choosing of the socks is indeed random.

The question asks us how many socks have to be chosen at random in order for us to be SURE that we chosen at least two socks of the same color.

So, consider the following.

We could choose two socks at random and get two socks of the same color. But if we were to choose only two socks at random, would we be sure to get two socks of the same color? Since there are three colors of socks in the drawer, we could draw two socks of two different colors. So, by drawing only two socks at random, we wouldn't be sure to get two of the same color.

What if we were to randomly draw three socks? We might get two socks of the same color, or even three socks of the same color, but since there are three different colors of socks, we might draw one of each. So, if we were to draw three socks at random, we wouldn't be sure to get two socks of the same color.

Now, what if we were to draw four socks? Well there are only three different colors. So, after the first three, we know that we would definitely have run out of colors. So, even none of the first three were to match, the fourth one would have to match one of the first three.

So, by drawing four socks at random, we can be sure that we will draw at least two of the same color. We may have drawn one pair and two singles. We may have drawn two pairs. In any case, we will definitely have drawn two that match.

The correct answer is A.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts