Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.45
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Re: In a huge dilemma - Any advice would be much appreciated! [#permalink]
I will say one thing, the Duke brand is stronger then the UVA brand... and that might be what your manager is speaking to. Some people outside of MBA circles may feel that Duke is the better school/brand, but when it comes to business schools... they're peers. When you throw in the money on top of that, I cant think of anyone who could fault you.

Did you choose Darden only because you felt it was viewed as a better school, or was it about fit? If you chose it only based on rankings... well then regardless of where you go, you'll never have 100% of people agree with you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Cobrakai, I have sent you a PM :)

hi highwyre, I knew about the perception, yet I chose Darden because I felt I would fit very well. But now I hear things like if people (in Asia) can't recognize Darden, then what's the point of doing an MBA if I wish to return back.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: Q160 V158
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
ss87 wrote:

hi highwyre, I knew about the perception, yet I chose Darden because I felt I would fit very well. But now I hear things like if people (in Asia) can't recognize Darden, then what's the point of doing an MBA if I wish to return back.

World class education, experience, contacts, new opportunities and the list goes on and on. The name will only take you so far, after two years where you got your MBA won't matter compared to what you have accomplished.
Director
Director
Send PM
ss87 wrote:

Well if your plan is MBB or an LDP at a f500, I have a feeling transition back to asia on brand wouldnt be difficult. I have a funny feeling McKinsey would matter more then whichever MBA you have.

What does the network for Darden grads look like in Asia? If that was your plan, I'm sure you found that info and were happy with it. An MBA is a great tool to get you that first job out. A strong network in your desired location will help you, but if that first job out gains you all the respect you need to get your foot in the door, no offense, but who cares what middle management thinks?

I dont know what Darden's reach is in Asia... I didn't apply, but... if it was strong enough to convince you to accept... why are you worried about what your current boss thinks?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well based on my chat with Darden grads and their jobs here in Asia (I met quite a few from Big3 consulting and Google, etc) I think the network is slightly small but quite well-knit.

My only issue is say a few years down the road, I am applying to a different job in Asia(not from MBB) and if my employer can't tell Darden is a solid top 10 and thinks Duke is better, then I might feel disappointed.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ss87 wrote:
Well based on my chat with Darden grads and their jobs here in Asia (I met quite a few from Big3 consulting and Google, etc) I think the network is slightly small but quite well-knit.

My only issue is say a few years down the road, I am applying to a different job in Asia(not from MBB) and if my employer can't tell Darden is a solid top 10 and thinks Duke is better, then I might feel disappointed.

Sadly, for most of us, a few years down the road our MBA's brand name wont get us a job. Our network sure will, and how successful we were at our first job will, but the name on our resume (aside from maybe HSW) will not get us our 2nd or 3rd job.

I would reach out to the alumns you've spoken with already, and ask them for their first hand opinion. Do the same with Fuqua alumns... If you are worried you made the wrong choice, all it will cost you is your deposit money.

You chose Darden for a reason. I would make a pros and cons list about Duke and UVA and then compare those after you've added the input of alumni. GL, both are great schools, and I think you're overracting to a few people's opinions. Either way, this is one of the most important decision you will make in your life, make sure you dont regret the choice.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, I guess in the end it comes down to really good learning experience (Darden) vs. normal learning experience but great brand internationally.

Though it might be too late to ask Duke if the offer still holds(I never rejected or accepted the offer).
Director
Director
Send PM
In a huge dilemma - Any advice would be much appreciated! [#permalink]
Lol... If you've paid a deposit, and have already rejected duke, why are you driving yourself crazy?? You made a great choice with Darden, and will have a great chance at a successful career regardless of the country you end up in. Listen, your application portion is over. Relax, and get ready to enjoy a world class MBA in a few months. Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
Lol... If you've paid a deposit, and have already rejected duke, why are you driving yourself crazy?? You made a great choice with Darden, and will have a great chance at a successful career regardless of the country you end up in. Listen, your application portion is over. Relax, and get ready to enjoy a world class MBA in a few months. Good luck!

I agree. Stick with your gut here. Fuqua and Darden are peer schools, Darden is a better fit for you, Darden offered you more money, AND you already put down your deposit. I really think you're overthinking this.

Plus, if you look at the most recent employment reports, on a per capita basis, Darden has recently had better placement at MBB than Duke, which has been sending lots of folks primarily to Deloitte.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks kingfalcon and highwyre. Yes I will be going ahead with Darden. Thanks for all your advice!
I think I made a pretty well-informed decision and I shouldn't be re-evaluating everything based on what a few people tell me.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts