Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [5]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [3]
Given Kudos: 155
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 260
Send PM
Re: In a marketing study, consumers were given two unlabeled cartons of la [#permalink]
I had a quick doubt of why can't it be D?

As to emphasize that packaging has an huge impact we can conclude that even though better packaged detergent contained generic detergent still it overpowered the one in drab packaging but better branded
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: In a marketing study, consumers were given two unlabeled cartons of la [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
helipatel91198 wrote:
I had a quick doubt of why can't it be D?

As to emphasize that packaging has an huge impact we can conclude that even though better packaged detergent contained generic detergent still it overpowered the one in drab packaging but better branded

It's important here that the question asks which answer "would most strengthen the conclusion". If the two detergents are exactly the same, but consumers think the brightly packaged detergent is better, the only conclusion I think you can reach is that the packaging influences consumers. So B is a great answer here. But if the detergents are different in any way, maybe that difference is the reason consumers prefer one detergent. If we think D or E strengthen the conclusion here, we need to make an assumption: we need to assume that name-brand detergent is better than generic detergent, or vice versa. But we have no information about which type of detergent is better, so we don't know what effect D and E have on the argument.

If one answer choice said "the detergent in the drab packaging has been shown in tests to clean better than the detergent in the bright packaging", then we'd have another good answer choice, but fortunately we don't have an answer like that, and B is the best option.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts