GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 01:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a recently held cricket tournament in one of the universities

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member
In a recently held cricket tournament in one of the universities  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 23:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (01:42) correct 69% (02:03) wrong based on 88 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a recently held cricket tournament in one of the universities in Australia, 'N' teams participated in total. The tournament comprised of various rounds, where each round comprised of one or more 'games'. Each 'game' was always between two teams only, and the rules were designed as such that each 'game' resulted in a Win for one team and Loss for the other team, there were no Draws.
What is the value of 'N'?

(1) In the first round of the tournament, each team played a game with every other team, and no two teams played each other more than once. This way, '28' games in total were played in round 1.

(2) Out of 'N', 4 teams were selected after round 1 for round 2, where '2' games were played in total; and 2 teams were selected from round 2 for round 3, where there was only '1' game played that declared the winner. Thus, tournament was over in 3 rounds. This way, in total, '31' games were played in the entire tournament.
examPAL Representative
G
Re: In a recently held cricket tournament in one of the universities  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2018, 02:26
amanvermagmat wrote:
In a recently held cricket tournament in one of the universities in Australia, 'N' teams participated in total. The tournament comprised of various rounds, where each round comprised of one or more 'games'. Each 'game' was always between two teams only, and the rules were designed as such that each 'game' resulted in a Win for one team and Loss for the other team, there were no Draws.
What is the value of 'N'?

(1) In the first round of the tournament, each team played a game with every other team, and no two teams played each other more than once. This way, '28' games in total were played in round 1.

(2) Out of 'N', 4 teams were selected after round 1 for round 2, where '2' games were played in total; and 2 teams were selected from round 2 for round 3, where there was only '1' game played that declared the winner. Thus, tournament was over in 3 rounds. This way, in total, '31' games were played in the entire tournament.

We're asked to find the number of teams.
Let's see which statements give us relevant information, a Logical approach.

(1) This gives us an equation with one variable: N choose 2 = 28 and is therefore solvable.
Sufficient!

(2) so we know that the first round had 31 - 1 - 2 = 28 games but we don't know how they were distributed amongst the teams.
Therefore we cannot create an equation connecting the number of teams to the number of games in round 1.
Insufficient.

(A) is our answer.

Watch free GMAT tutorials in Math, Verbal, IR, and AWA.

GMAT test takers: Watch now the GMAC interview with the people who write the GMAT test!
We discussed the chances of improving a GMAT score; how important the first questions on the test are; what to do if you don’t have enough time to complete a whole section; and more.

You can watch all the action from the interview here.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Re: In a recently held cricket tournament in one of the universities  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 01:20
Hi, I have a question.

For statement 1: Do we assume that all teams in the tournament participated in Round 1 of the tournament or some teams will skip round 1 as they are directly qualify for the 2nd round. As round 1 could be just qualifier rounds for selected under-dog teams, out of which X teams will be selected and join the other directly qualified teams in Round 2.

Can someone please help? I feel little bit confused. Sorry i may sound silly. But just to get clarified, in case CAT throws me such questions on my D-Day

Thanks.
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 01:59
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi, I have a question.

For statement 1: Do we assume that all teams in the tournament participated in Round 1 of the tournament or some teams will skip round 1 as they are directly qualify for the 2nd round. As round 1 could be just qualifier rounds for selected under-dog teams, out of which X teams will be selected and join the other directly qualified teams in Round 2.

Can someone please help? I feel little bit confused. Sorry i may sound silly. But just to get clarified, in case CAT throws me such questions on my D-Day

Thanks.

Hello Santhosh

In statement 1 it is mentioned: "each team played a game with every other team, and no two teams played each other more than once. This way, '28' games in total were played in round 1". I think this should clarify your query. All teams participated and each team played with every other team, just once.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a recently held cricket tournament in one of the universities &nbs [#permalink] 08 Mar 2018, 01:59

In a recently held cricket tournament in one of the universities

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap