GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In her book to explain in it how dangerous a culture of silence can be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
CR Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In her book to explain in it how dangerous a culture of silence can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 03:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:25) correct 47% (01:26) wrong based on 180 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In her book to explain in it how dangerous a culture of silence can be, The Fearless Organization by Amy Edmondson quoted the crash between two Boeing 747 planes in the Canary Islands in 1978, one of the deadliest accidents in history, which happened because a co-pilot chose not to question his captain’s decision.

A. In her book to explain in it how dangerous a culture of silence can be, The Fearless Organization by Amy Edmondson
B. Explaining how dangerous a culture of silence can be, Amy Edmondson, in her book The Fearless Organization,
C. Amy Edmondson, in her book The Fearless Organization, explained how dangerous a culture of silence can be and
D. To explain how dangerous a culture of silence can be, Amy Edmondson, in her book The Fearless Organization,
E. That the culture of silence can be dangerous is explained in her book The Fearless Organization; Amy Edmondson

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday
Director
Director
D
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Re: In her book to explain in it how dangerous a culture of silence can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 10:13
I am confused between B and D.
I feel somehow D is better but sill can not find a convincing reason to reject B also
VP
VP
D
Re: In her book to explain in it how dangerous a culture of silence can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 12:58
globaldesi wrote:
I am confused between B and D.
I feel somehow D is better but sill can not find a convincing reason to reject B also

Per intent of sentence D would be correct

Ans D
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 13:25
B is incorrect because we don't want "Explaining..." to describe Amy Edmonson alone. Unfortunately, any reader is going to make that mistaken assumption.

D makes the meaning much more clear.

Also, creator of an error log app, 21st Night: https://get21stnight.com/. Use it to answer the question: "What do I study next?" Visit the link to see what I mean.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 20:28
I am still not convinced why D is better than B. Could someone explain please.. GMATNinjaTwo
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 02:57
harsha3699 wrote:
I am still not convinced why D is better than B. Could someone explain please.. GMATNinjaTwo

Hello

I'll try and explain
When in doubt between 2 options, ALWAYS go by the intended meaning of the sentence.
This piece of advice did sound a bit odd to me also, but trust me it helps a lot

Coming back to the question,
Option B : This starts with "Explaining.....". The meaning of this sentence is that the author quoted a crash WHILE explaining how dangerous a culture of silence can be.
However, the logical meaning is that, since she wanted TO EXPLAIN something, she quoted an example
Option D clearly informs the reader that her intention was to explain something and in order to explain that thing, she quoted an example

To represent Goal/Plan/Purpose/Desire/Intention, you should always use 'to + verb' (This is just extra information)

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 03:52
I choose answer D over B,because whenever a sentence starts with To Explain or To XYZ ,a direct object is require after the comma in the sentence.

Please correct me if my approach is wrong.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 10:50
Kunal112 wrote:
harsha3699 wrote:

Hello

I'll try and explain
When in doubt between 2 options, ALWAYS go by the intended meaning of the sentence.
This piece of advice did sound a bit odd to me also, but trust me it helps a lot

Coming back to the question,
Option B : This starts with "Explaining.....". The meaning of this sentence is that the author quoted a crash WHILE explaining how dangerous a culture of silence can be.
However, the logical meaning is that, since she wanted TO EXPLAIN something, she quoted an example
Option D clearly informs the reader that her intention was to explain something and in order to explain that thing, she quoted an example

To represent Goal/Plan/Purpose/Desire/Intention, you should always use 'to + verb' (This is just extra information)

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot Kunal. This explains the query.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In her book to explain in it how dangerous a culture of silence can be   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2019, 10:50

In her book to explain in it how dangerous a culture of silence can be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics