GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 00:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 917
Location: London
In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Mar 2019, 04:18
3
14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:40) correct 24% (02:10) wrong based on 510 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

Originally posted by Ravshonbek on 11 Nov 2007, 04:37.
Last edited by Bunuel on 15 Mar 2019, 04:18, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58454
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2010, 01:54
7
3
bibha wrote:
hey,
Looks like the question is too easy for further explanation. However, i could not understand how we got that answer.
Pleaseeee reply.


In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

There are three branches, three units of books: {physics}{math}{chemistry} - aranging branches 3!;

Arranging the books within the branches:
physics - 4!;
math - 2!;
chemistry - 3!;

Total: 3!*4!*2!*3!.

Answer: B.
_________________
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2008
Posts: 132
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2009, 10:41
3
1
In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

Soln:
= 3! * 4! * 2! * 3!
= 1728

Ans is B
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 148
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2010, 00:18
1
hey,
Looks like the question is too easy for further explanation. However, i could not understand how we got that answer.
Pleaseeee reply.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2013, 16:15
Bunuel wrote:
bibha wrote:
hey,
Looks like the question is too easy for further explanation. However, i could not understand how we got that answer.
Pleaseeee reply.


In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

There are three branches, three units of books: {physics}{math}{chemistry} - aranging branches 3!;

Arranging the books within the branches:
physics - 4!;
math - 2!;
chemistry - 3!;

Total: 3!*4!*2!*3!.

Answer: B.



Hi Bunuel,
I apologize for opening a very old post but had to ..
my doubt is if we are arranging 4 physics books then doesn't the arrangement will be 4!/4!, similarly math and chemistry..and over all arrangement should be just 3!..please explain where I am missing..
Thank you,
Vivek.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58454
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2013, 00:46
1
1
viveksingh222 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
bibha wrote:
hey,
Looks like the question is too easy for further explanation. However, i could not understand how we got that answer.
Pleaseeee reply.


In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

There are three branches, three units of books: {physics}{math}{chemistry} - aranging branches 3!;

Arranging the books within the branches:
physics - 4!;
math - 2!;
chemistry - 3!;

Total: 3!*4!*2!*3!.

Answer: B.



Hi Bunuel,
I apologize for opening a very old post but had to ..
my doubt is if we are arranging 4 physics books then doesn't the arrangement will be 4!/4!, similarly math and chemistry..and over all arrangement should be just 3!..please explain where I am missing..
Thank you,
Vivek.


It would be so if we were told that books in each branch are identical. But that's not our case, for example, out of 2 math books one could be on algebra and another on arithmetic thus they can be arranged within math branch as {algebra}{arithmetic} or {arithmetic }{algebra}.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Sep 2013
Posts: 130
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 00:59
Hi Bunuel !!

I am not sure why you have assumed that the books within one subject are actually different !
I believe the books can also be same , solution in that case should be 3!.

You have assumed the same in this problem :

In how many ways can 11 books on English and 9 books on French be placed in a row on a shelf so that two books on French may not be together?

in-how-many-ways-can-11-books-on-english-and-9-books-on-87352.html#p1394032

Your solution was :
I would offer different solution.

We have 11 English and 9 French books, no French books should be adjacent.

Imagine 11 English books in a row and empty slots like below:

*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*

Now if 9 French books would be placed in 12 empty slots, all French books will be separated by English books.

So we can "choose" 9 empty slots from 12 available for French books, which is 12C9=220.



I believe in both these questions we should consider the books to be different. But I am confused because of the two opposite approaches applied to 2 similar problems. Where should one draw the line.

Please have a look . Thanks in advance !!!!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 116
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 01:19
Ravshonbek wrote:
In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726



4! x 2! x 3! x 3! = 1728

The last 3! came for the number of ways Physics, Math and Chemistry are arranged.
_________________
76000 Subscribers, 7 million minutes of learning delivered and 5.6 million video views

Perfect Scores
http://perfectscores.org
http://www.youtube.com/perfectscores
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 34
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2014, 22:00
solitaryreaper wrote:
Hi Bunuel !!

I am not sure why you have assumed that the books within one subject are actually different !
I believe the books can also be same , solution in that case should be 3!.

You have assumed the same in this problem :

In how many ways can 11 books on English and 9 books on French be placed in a row on a shelf so that two books on French may not be together?

in-how-many-ways-can-11-books-on-english-and-9-books-on-87352.html#p1394032

Your solution was :
I would offer different solution.

We have 11 English and 9 French books, no French books should be adjacent.

Imagine 11 English books in a row and empty slots like below:

*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*

Now if 9 French books would be placed in 12 empty slots, all French books will be separated by English books.

So we can "choose" 9 empty slots from 12 available for French books, which is 12C9=220.



I believe in both these questions we should consider the books to be different. But I am confused because of the two opposite approaches applied to 2 similar problems. Where should one draw the line.

Please have a look . Thanks in advance !!!!


Thanks!
Exact same query? When do we have to consider the books different and when same , if it is not explicitly stated?
Experts please answer... TIA!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2014
Posts: 27
GMAT Date: 09-27-2014
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2014, 22:24
tushain wrote:
solitaryreaper wrote:
Hi Bunuel !!

I am not sure why you have assumed that the books within one subject are actually different !
I believe the books can also be same , solution in that case should be 3!.

You have assumed the same in this problem :

In how many ways can 11 books on English and 9 books on French be placed in a row on a shelf so that two books on French may not be together?

in-how-many-ways-can-11-books-on-english-and-9-books-on-87352.html#p1394032

Your solution was :
I would offer different solution.

We have 11 English and 9 French books, no French books should be adjacent.

Imagine 11 English books in a row and empty slots like below:

*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*

Now if 9 French books would be placed in 12 empty slots, all French books will be separated by English books.

So we can "choose" 9 empty slots from 12 available for French books, which is 12C9=220.



I believe in both these questions we should consider the books to be different. But I am confused because of the two opposite approaches applied to 2 similar problems. Where should one draw the line.

Please have a look . Thanks in advance !!!!


Thanks!
Exact same query? When do we have to consider the books different and when same , if it is not explicitly stated?
Experts please answer... TIA!


Because then it would be unsolvable. GMAT questions ideally state this explicitly.
SVP
SVP
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 1873
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 08:08
Ravshonbek wrote:
In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726


Total books: 4 Math, 3 English, 2 Analytical Ability
Assume the books of each subject to be a bundle
Hence we have 3 bundles of Math, English and Analytical Ability

Total ways to arranging 3 bundles = 3!
Books inside each bundle can also be arranged.

Total ways = 3!*4!*3!*2! = 6*24*6*2 = 36*48 = 1728
By paying attention to the options, we can reach the correct one without calculating
As the answer would be a number rending with the digit 8 and there is only one such number in the given options.

Correct Option: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2015
Posts: 285
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2016, 11:32
Ravshonbek wrote:
In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726



4 physics book can be arranged among themselves in 4! ways
Similarly, 3 chemistry and 2 math in 3! and 2! ways.

Now considering them as 3 groups, the 3 groups can be arranged in 3! ways.

so the total number of ways = 4! * 3! * 2! * 3!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 02:56
I am pretty sure this is a stupid question but here it goes:

Each category of books can be arranged the following number of ways.
physics 4!; math 2!; chemistry 3!;

there are three categories, so the number of ways which different categories can be arranged is 3!.
Now, here's my problem. Bunuel

I thought it would be (3!+4!+2!)*3!, because these are number of ways which the books of different categories are being arranged.

Why should they be multiplied?

Thank you!!
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58454
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 03:10
HappyQuakka wrote:
I am pretty sure this is a stupid question but here it goes:

Each category of books can be arranged the following number of ways.
physics 4!; math 2!; chemistry 3!;

there are three categories, so the number of ways which different categories can be arranged is 3!.
Now, here's my problem. Bunuel

I thought it would be (3!+4!+2!)*3!, because these are number of ways which the books of different categories are being arranged.

Why should they be multiplied?

Thank you!!


Say the order is {physics: 1, 2, 3, 4}{math: 1, 2}{chemistry: 1, 2, 3}

For two ordering of say {math: 1, 2}: {1, 2} and {2, 1} we'll have:
{physics: 1, 2, 3, 4}{math: 1, 2}{chemistry: 1, 2, 3}
{physics: 1, 2, 3, 4}{math: 2, 1}{chemistry: 1, 2, 3}

Similarly for all 3! orderings of {chemistry: 1, 2, 3} we'll have 6 times as many for each above 2!*3! and for 4! orderings of {physics: 1, 2, 3, 4} we'll have 24 as many as previous number, so 2!*3!*4!.

More generally, we multiply because of FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLE OF COUNTING, which states if an operation can be performed in ‘m’ ways and when it has been performed in any of these ways, a second operation that can be performed in ‘n’ ways then these two operations can be performed one after the other in ‘m*n’ ways.
_________________
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 2815
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 07:32
Ravshonbek wrote:
In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726


We can illustrate the arrangement as follows:

[P-P-P-P] [M-M] [C-C-C]

So, the 3 groups of books can be arranged in 3! = 6 ways. Furthermore, the physics books can be arranged in 4! = 24 ways, the math books in 2! = 2 ways, and the chemistry books in 3! = 6 ways.

Thus, the total number of ways to arrange the books is 6 x 24 x 2 x 6 = 1728 ways.

Answer: B
_________________

Jeffrey Miller

Head of GMAT Instruction

Jeff@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: love the club...
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 269
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 11:55
Ravshonbek wrote:
In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726


the question did not make clear that all physics, math, and chemistry books are different, but looking at the answer choices, we can see that the answer is not 3!

easy question, but little ambiguous

thanks
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13264
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 04:50
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2019, 04:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne