Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618955 [20]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [3]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In how many ways the letters of the word "LOCKDOWN" can be arranged [#permalink]
Aham56 wrote:
"such that N is always between O's" - does this mean 'ONO' only or does it also include 'OLKNO' for example?

If the former i.e. 'ONO' only, would it not be similar to considering 'T' = 'ONO' and the options become how you can arrange 'T'LCKDW which is 6! = 720?

It means N is between two O's not between two O's only.

LOCKDOWN
cases: OCKDWNOL, ONOCKDWNL and so on. Every third number will be like that. Hence division by 3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: In how many ways the letters of the word "LOCKDOWN" can be arranged [#permalink]
I still don't understand why every three permutations will have an 'N' between two 'O's
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
ElninoEffect wrote:
Aham56 wrote:
"such that N is always between O's" - does this mean 'ONO' only or does it also include 'OLKNO' for example?

If the former i.e. 'ONO' only, would it not be similar to considering 'T' = 'ONO' and the options become how you can arrange 'T'LCKDW which is 6! = 720?

LOCKDOWN
cases: OCKDWNOL, ONOCKDWNL and so on. Every third number will be like that. Hence division by 3.

Could you please elaborate on how to find every 3rd case would have N between?

TIA!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
sk070 wrote:
ElninoEffect wrote:
Aham56 wrote:

LOCKDOWN

Could you please elaborate on how to find every 3rd case would have N between?

TIA!

Posted from my mobile device

because you can have ONO, OON, or NOO with spaces between each or not
only ONO will have N in between, so 1/3 of the options
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Goizueta '25
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
Send PM
In how many ways the letters of the word "LOCKDOWN" can be arranged [#permalink]
ElninoEffect wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In how many ways the letters of the word "LOCKDOWN" can be arranged such that N is always between O's?

A. 720
B. 1440
C. 2520
D. 4320
E. 6720

Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions

Number of ways LOCKDOWN can be rearranged = 8!/2! |O is coming twice.
Now in 1/3rd of the cases N will come between O's.
So, 8!/2!*3 will give us = 6720.
E as the answer

Can you elaborate a bit more on Now in 1/3rd of the cases N will come between O's. this specific part?­
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 697 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
In how many ways the letters of the word "LOCKDOWN" can be arranged [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
In how many ways the letters of the word "LOCKDOWN" can be arranged such that N is always between O's?

A. 720
B. 1440
C. 2520
D. 4320
E. 6720

Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions

I think this question is tougher than any that I've seen in under the "Elementary Combinatorics" heading of the OGs since about the year 2000. I doubt you'd get a question like this on the test anymore. Alas, I'm a nerd and it's fun, so here goes.

If we ignore the ONO limitation, we have 8!/2!.

How many of those arrangements will have the N before both of the Os? Well, if we ignore the other letters and just look at the N and two Os, the N will be first 1/3rd of the time.
Similarly, the N will be between the Os 1/3rd of the time.
And the N will be after the Os 1/3rd of the time.

We are only allowed to include arrangements where the N is between the Os, so we need 1/3rd of 8!/2!.

8*7*6*5*4 = 56*120 = 56*100 + 56*20 = 5600 + 1120 = 6720

Answer choice E.­
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts