Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2804 [162]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [24]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [6]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: In its 1903 decision in the case of Lone Wolf v. Hitchcock, the United [#permalink]
Kudos
12. C
It introduces the event Lone Wolf and then goes on illustrating the far more impact of that event.

13. D
line 20 to 35 state that Federal govt was involved in Treaties with Indians.

14. E
Passage presents a view that the event was propely emphasized by Clark 'but he fails to note
the decision’s more far-reaching'

15. C
Line 15-20
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: In its 1903 decision in the case of Lone Wolf v. Hitchcock, the United [#permalink]
Kudos
According to the passage, the congressional action of 1871 had which of the following effects?

(A) Native American tribal agreements were treated as legislation that had to be passed by both houses of Congress.
(B) The number of formal agreements negotiated between the federal government and Native American tribes decreased.
(C) The procedures for congressional approval and implementation of federal Indian policy were made more precise.
(D) It became more difficult for Congress to exercise unilateral authority over Native American affairs.
(E) The role of Congress in the ratification of treaties with sovereign nations was eventually undermined.

OA : A .

thx guys. but i really dnt understand this one. I chose a B. got it all wrong!
:-(

P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Q12: C
(front)…In his study of the Lone Wolf case…he fails to note the decision’s more far-reaching impact ….(end) The Lone Wolf decision ended this era of formal negotiation

Q13: D
(mid)…1871 when— following a dispute between the House and the Senate over which chamber should enjoy primacy in Indian affairs—Congress abolished the making of treaties with Native American tribes.

Q14: B (looks like I got this wrong according to others. I was between B or D - appreciate if you can explain! My thinking was that the weight of the Blue Clark example was on its failure to recognize the more far-reaching impact. Commentators believed otherwise, but in fact LW ended the era. It doesn't seem as it is brought up strictly to refute the commentators, rather the author is drawing an example to support his/her view.)

…he fails to note the decision’s more far-reaching impact… Many commentators believe… But in reality the federal government continued to negotiate… (“In fact”) The Lone Wolf decision ended this era of formal negotiation and finally did away

Q15: C
(mid)…the federal government totally abandoned negotiation and execution of formal written agreements with Indian tribes as a prerequisite for the implementation of federal Indian policy.….(end)The Lone Wolf decision ended this era of formal negotiation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
rohitgoel15 wrote:
In its 1903 decision in the case of Lone Wolf v. Hitchcock, the United States Supreme Court rejected the
Line efforts of three Native American tribes
(5) to prevent the opening of tribal lands
to non-Indian settlement without tribal
consent. In his study of the Lone
Wolf case, Blue Clark properly
emphasizes the Court’s assertion
(10) of a virtually unlimited unilateral power
of Congress (the House of Represen-
tatives and the Senate) over Native
American affairs. But he fails to note
the decision’s more far-reaching
(15) impact: shortly after Lone Wolf, the
federal government totally abandoned
negotiation and execution of formal
written agreements with Indian tribes
as a prerequisite for the implemen-
(20) tation of federal Indian policy. Many
commentators believe that this change
had already occurred in 1871 when—
following a dispute between the
House and the Senate over which
(25) chamber should enjoy primacy in
Indian affairs—Congress abolished
the making of treaties with Native
American tribes. But in reality the
federal government continued to nego-
(30) tiate formal tribal agreements past
the turn of the century, treating these
documents not as treaties with sover-
eign nations requiring ratification by the
Senate but simply as legislation to be
(35) passed by both houses of Congress.
The Lone Wolf decision ended this
era of formal negotiation and finally
did away with what had increasingly
become the empty formality of obtain-
ing tribal consent.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q12:
The author of the passage is primarily concerned with

A. identifying similarities in two different theories
B. evaluating a work of scholarship
C. analyzing the significance of a historical event
D. debunking a revisionist interpretation
E. exploring the relationship between law and social reality

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q13:
According to the passage, which of the following was true of relations between the federal government and Native American tribes?

A. Some Native American tribes approved of the congressional action of 1871 because it simplified their dealings with the federal government.
B. Some Native American tribes were more eager to negotiate treaties with the United States after the Lone Wolf decision.
C. Prior to the Lone Wolf decision, the Supreme Court was reluctant to hear cases involving agreements negotiated between Congress and Native American tribes.
D. Prior to 1871, the federal government sometimes negotiated treaties with Native American tribes.
E. Following 1871, the House exercised more power than did the Senate in the government’s dealings with Native American tribes.

Q14:
As an element in the argument presented by the author of the passage, the reference to Blue Clark’s study of the Lone Wolf case serves primarily to

A. point out that this episode in Native American history has received inadequate attention from scholars
B. support the contention of the author of the passage that the Lone Wolf decision had a greater long-term impact than did the congressional action of 1871
C. challenge the validity of the Supreme Court’s decision confirming the unlimited unilateral power of Congress in Native American affairs
D. refute the argument of commentators who regard the congressional action of 1871 as the end of the era of formal negotiation between the federal government and Native American tribes
E. introduce a view about the Lone Wolf decision that the author will expand upon

Q15:
According to the passage, which of the following resulted from the Lone Wolf decision?

A. The Supreme Court took on a greater role in Native American affairs.
B. Native American tribes lost their legal standing as sovereign nations in their dealings with the federal government, but their ownership of tribal lands was confirmed.
C. The federal government no longer needed to conclude a formal agreement with a Native American tribe in order to carry out policy decisions that affected the tribe.
D. The federal government began to appropriate tribal lands for distribution to non-Indian settlers.
E. Native American tribes were no longer able to challenge congressional actions by appealing to the Supreme Court.

C
D
E
C

Hi BB,

Can someone explain about the relationships between Supreme court/Federal government/Congress etc...
I have seen so many passages related to them. I think understanding of this structure by, say US citizens or those who are aware of it, makes it a lot easier for them to understand the passage from the go.

Can you direct me to some link where I ca get more information about this.

KR,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi - Try wikipedia :-)

In all seriousness though, you do not need to know anything about the US system for this to make sense.

You can of course learn about it, it will not hurt, but if I had limited time to revise - I'd concentrate on the core GMAT skills...

James
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Can somebody explain me the details of this passage in simple language?

I struggled to understand the sentence below.

"In his study of the Lone
Wolf case, Blue Clark properly
emphasizes the Court’s assertion
(10) of a virtually unlimited unilateral power
of Congress (the House of Represen-
tatives and the Senate) over Native
American affairs. "

Does this mean that Clark is pointing that the Congress (Senate and HOR) has used its law-making power unjustly against the tribes??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [1]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM