Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [42]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32877 [27]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: In recent years much attention has been paid to distilling those facto [#permalink]
Kudos
This one's a nice passage. I got all in 8 min. and 1 wrong

1. According to the passage, which of the following was a motivation in the creation of the system of value congruence?
A) a desire to minimize the liability of upper management for employee dissatisfaction (I think the answer is here: 'much attention has been paid to distilling those factors that create a positive work environment for corporate employees.')
B) a desire to help companies to improve their internal harmony
C) a desire to allow employees to increase their earning potential
D) a desire to foster awareness of factors influencing managerial success
E) a desire to eliminate discrepancies between a company’s goals and the values of its employees (this one's tempting, but this may be the goal of VC, not the motivation to develop it)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: In recent years much attention has been paid to distilling those facto [#permalink]
Hi,

can you please tell me how Q2 Option D is wrong and that P-F is not related to company values. Since it states "Finally, strong PF suggests a strong correspondence between the values that an employee perceives his company to have (whether or not the company actually does) and the values that his co-workers perceive the company to have (again, whether or not it actually does)."

carcass wrote:
The question asks us to determine which of the choices was a
motivation in the creation of the system of value
congruence. According to the passage (lines 6-9), value congruence
was one of the theories that was posited "to discover what allows
some companies to foster high employee morale while other
companies struggle with poor productivity and high managerial
turnover."

(A) Poor productivity, high managerial turnover, and employee
morale have little to do with the liability of upper management for
employee satisfaction.

(B) CORRECT. Poor productivity, high managerial turnover, and
employee morale are related to a company's internal harmony or

lack thereof. The proof sentence does not correlate directly to this
answer choice, making this a fairly difficult question.

(C) Poor productivity, high managerial turnover, and employee
morale have little to do with the earning potential of employees.

(D) Poor productivity, high managerial turnover, and employee
morale have little to do with the factors influencing managerial
success.

(E) Poor productivity, high managerial turnover, and employee
morale have little to do with the discrepancies between a company's
goals and the values of its employees.

The correct answer is B

7. The question asks us to determine which of the choices would be
the best use for perceptual fit ("PF"). The passage defines
perceptual fit as the congruence between a given employee's
perception of his company's values and the perception of the
company's values held by other employees. Therefore, we need to
determine which answer choice could be determined using this
measure.

(A) CORRECT. This choice suggests that PF could be used to
determine whether a company ought to make its policies and goals
more transparent. PF will indicate to a company whether its
employees generally see the company's values the same way. This
would be useful in determining whether the company needed to do
a better job in making those values clear to its employees.

(B) This choice suggests that PF could be used to determine
whether a company ought to provide sensitivity training for its
management. PF is not relevant to issues of sensitivity training.

(C) This choice suggests that PF could be used to determine
whether a company ought to create more opportunities for
interaction among workers. Since PF is used to determine whether
employees hold the same view of the company's values, this choice
may seem attractive. But it does not specifically relate to the notion
of company values, as choice A does.

(D) This choice suggests that PF could be used to determine
whether a company needed to address employee grievances more
directly. PF is not related to the concept of company values.

(E) This choice suggests that PF could be used to determine whether
a company ought to have a more elaborate orientation program for
new employees. PF is not related to the concept of company values
as seen by employees.

The correct answer is A.

8. This question asks us to find a choice that describes the primary
focus of the passage. The correct answer must cover the entirety of
the passage without misrepresenting it.

(A) This choice mentions a comparison between a new theory and a
"discredited theory". Since there is no discussion of a discredited
theory in the passage, this choice is incorrect.

(B) This choice mentions a "detailed analysis of a particular
case". Since the passage does not focus on a particular case, this
choice is incorrect.

(C) This choice describes the passage as challenging an "old view of
employee commitment". Since the passage does not discuss old
views of employee commitment, this choice is incorrect.

(D) CORRECT. This choice describes the passage as "promoting a
new method of measuring the likelihood of corporate success" – so
far, so good – and as "explaining its benefits". This covers the
entirety of the passage and describes its purpose and function
accurately.

(E) This choice states that the passage defends "a proposed system
of corporate analysis through examples of its success." Since the
passage does not discuss examples of success, this choice is
incorrect.

The correct answer is D.

Please leave kudos.

Do not esistate to ask if something remains unclear
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [3]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
this passage is a great example of a scenario of RC in which the passage is easy to understand but the questions are hard to answer. the reason is the inference needed to answer questions requires high level of reasoning. this scenario dose occur in official books. the lession is that focus on reading hard passage is only a part of RC job. the other job is practice answering questions. this practice has more to do with POE (power of eliminating) than prethinking (prethink an answer before reading answer choices). POE is time consuming and require you to find one wrong word in an answer to eliminate it. POE is a skill gmat want us to have because POE require a higher level of understanding the test

while prethinking requires us to find a piece of information in the passage and then find a match among answer choices. POE requires us to understand fully eachh answer choices. So, the job of POE can be 5 time more than the job of prethinking. prethinking is only helpfull for easy question.

when we read a question stem, the first thing we do is prethinking. we return to the passage, find the relevant text and find the information needed. but for harder questions, prethink dose not help. we can not find the relevant text and can not find the information needed. we have to read each answer choice and find our 1 or 2 words which is not consistent with the information in the passage to eliminate the answer choices.

anticipate this kind of scenario, easy passage-close answers, to slow down, calm down, and take enough time to do POE for each answer choice. never rush on this kind of scenario.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
Send PM
In Question 3,

Doesn't option D say that a new method has been devised to measure the success of the company,
The method rather measures the employee satisfaction and related measures not the success of the company.

Request anyone to clarify
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quote:
2. The passage suggests that perceptual fit congruence would be most useful in determining which of the following?
A. whether a company ought to make its policies and goals more transparent
B. whether a company ought to provide sensitivity training for its management
C. whether a company ought to create more opportunities for interaction among workers
D. whether a company ought to address employee grievances more directly
E. whether a company ought to implement a more elaborate orientation program for new employees

carcass MentorTutoring SajjadAhmad lnm87

Option E says "whether a company ought to implement a more elaborate orientation program for new employees"
Now if there is more elaborate orientation for new employee, there will be a strong correspondence between the values that an employee perceives his company to have and the values that his co-workers perceive the company to have.

Option E looks better than A.
Kindly help.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harsh2111s wrote:
Quote:
2. The passage suggests that perceptual fit congruence would be most useful in determining which of the following?
C. whether a company ought to create more opportunities for interaction among workers
E. whether a company ought to implement a more elaborate orientation program for new employees

Option E says "whether a company ought to implement a more elaborate orientation program for new employees"
Now if there is more elaborate orientation for new employee, there will be a strong correspondence between the values that an employee perceives his company to have and the values that his co-workers perceive the company to have.

Kindly help.

Hello, Harsh2111s. I see the line of reasoning you are pursuing, but your scenario is one step removed from what the passage states, requiring you to assume a certain type of orientation to more or less program employees to think alike, regarding their perception of the company's values. I would refer you to the post above by arvind910619, since a suggestion or inference question always fits into one of two categories:

1) A restatement of what is presented in the passage, sometimes with synonymous words, sometimes with an expression of similar ideas.

2) Fitting together different parts of the passage into one statement.

Here, since the question asks about perceptual fit congruence (PF) in particular, we need to stick strictly to what the passage says about PF. You cannot ignore the penultimate line of the passage:

P-E and PF congruence allow companies to discover dysfunctional work relationships and clarify misperceived company policies and goals.

Another way of stating the above is, well, just what answer (A) says, with more transparent standing in for clarify from the passage. In my mind, more elaborate in choice (E) could simply mean extra cake at the orientation, or perhaps fancier napkins. The passage points to (A).

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Thank you for tagging me, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Harsh2111s wrote:
Quote:

Kindly help.

Harsh2111s
It's my pleasure that asked, although this is my first MGMAT passage that too a 700+ level. Also, since Mentortutoring has answered, i don't know if my response is going to be any good.

I'm glad that you asked me about the option E here which was i was able to eliminate so it's easy for me. But I will try to give my thoughts on all questions.
Seeing that 700+ tag from MGMAT made me get on my toes and i hate to see the tags because they affect my approach and my thought process.

I was torn between two options in every questions. Each I have highlighted and red texts show red flags i.e. they are questionable parts of the option which must be answered clearly.

1. According to the passage, which of the following was a motivation in the creation of the system of value congruence?
A) a desire to minimize the liability of upper management for employee dissatisfaction - first 'liability' jumps out of the option - needs to be checked. Also, to say 'to minimize' is extreme.
B) a desire to help companies to improve their internal harmony - first paragraph helps in this.
C) a desire to allow employees to increase their earning potential - This's one easiest to remove.
D) a desire to foster awareness of factors influencing managerial success - 'awareness' and 'influencing' are out of scope.
E) a desire to eliminate discrepancies between a company’s goals and the values of its employees - its extreme to say 'eliminate' and 'discrepancies' is out of scope.

I faulted in this one for the question is an inference and i opted a choice that was more specific in detail that i realised post attempt. Also, to answer this question we need to understand what is P-F, which we can find in the 2nd and 3rd para - more specifically the last line of the 2nd para is helpful.
A. whether a company ought to make its policies and goals more transparent - Though 'transparent' initially looked out of scope but this option covers the scope of passage broadly.
B. whether a company ought to provide sensitivity training for its management - 'sensitivity' is a different aspect more so that it is too specific in nature when we are just looking for broader company policies and employee perception in general.
C. whether a company ought to create more opportunities for interaction among workers - well i can only say that 'çreating more opportunities' is certainly one of the aspects that would help company bridge the gap between employees' perception and company's policies. It's a good option but better is available in the form of A.
D. whether a company ought to address employee grievances more directly - 'grievances' and 'more directly' are questionable. First, 'grievances' is out of scope. Second, again, it's too specific.
E. whether a company ought to implement a more elaborate orientation program for new employees -
First, we don't know about who 'new employees' are - one year old, six months old or a week old.
Second, do they have perception yet.
Third, does their perception matter for the company yet.
Fourth, this may be an outside knowledge but it helps, are new employees significant enough to weigh-in their perception.

Again made a silly mistake.
3. The primary focus of the passage is on which of the following?
A. Comparing a new theory of corporate performance to a discredited theory and predicting the usefulness of the new theory. - Nowhere the passage suggests to compare theories. What is that 'discredited theory'? 'Predicting' still is okay somewhat.
B. Illustrating a new approach to measuring employee satisfaction through a detailed analysis of a particular case. - 'Illustrating' is fine. But since it's a primary purpose type question, 'particular case', although not discussed, can only cover a small part of the passage.
C. Challenging an old view of employee commitment and suggesting that a new paradigm is necessary. - What are these three.??
D. Promoting a new method of measuring the likelihood of corporate success by explaining its benefits - I was 90% sure that this was the answer but thought 'promoting' was done only in the last line of the 3rd para. So, rejected due to a miscalculation. But, overall, all that details in 2nd para and foundation laying in 1st para are for getting to know how Value Congruence could help companies.
E. Defending a proposed system of corporate analysis through examples of its success. - Where are the examples?? There's nothing defensive in the passage and what is that 'analysis'.

Good passage. I was able to understand it but got stuck in subtle things of the options.

I still hope that this is helpful. :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The question 1 can you explain it again why not E? [#permalink]
In recent years much attention has been paid to distilling those
factors that create a positive work environment for corporate
employees. The goal ultimately is to discover what allows some
companies to foster high employee morale while other companies
struggle with poor productivity and high managerial turnover.
Several theories have been posited, but none has drawn as much
interest from the corporate world, or has as much promise, as
value congruence, which measures the “fit” between an
employee’s values and those of co-workers and the company
itself.
Value congruence can be broken into three main subcategories:
person-environment (“P-E”), person person (“P-P”), and
perceptual fit (“PF”). Person environment congruence refers to a
harmony between the personal values of the employee and
corporate culture of the company in which he or she works.
Someone with a high P-E congruence feels personally in tune with
his company’s stated policies and goals. Conversely, someone
with a low P-E congruence feels a sense of disharmony between
his own values and the stated policies and goals of his company. A
high P-P congruence indicates a sense of solidarity with one’s coworkers
in terms of shared values and goals. A low P-P
congruence indicates a sense of isolation from co-workers
brought about by an absence of shared values. Finally, strong PF
suggests a strong correspondence between the values that an
employee perceives his company to have (whether or not the
company actually does) and the values that his co-workers
perceive the company to have (again, whether or not it actually
does). A weak PF implies that an employee’s perception of his
company’s values differs significantly from that of his co-workers.
Research has shown that P-E and PF congruence are important
measures of employee satisfaction, commitment, and likelihood of
turnover, while P-P congruence has little bearing on these
parameters. Moreover, PF is especially important in establishing
harmonious relations between workers and managers. These
measures give corporations a robust paradigm for long-term
personnel planning and productivity potentials: they allow
companies to discover dysfunctional work relationships and
clarify misperceived company policies and goals. With these tools
in hand, companies can look forward to increased employee
satisfaction and, ultimately, improved company performance.
1. According to the passage, which of the following was a
motivation in the creation of the system of value congruence?
✸ a desire to minimize the liability of upper management for
employee dissatisfaction
✸ a desire to help companies to improve their internal harmony
✸ a desire to allow employees to increase their earning potential
✸ a desire to foster awareness of factors influencing managerial
success
✸ a desire to eliminate discrepancies between a company’s goals
I THINK IT SHOULD BE E BECAUSE THE PASSAGE INDIACTES THE LINE ITSELF AND ALSO HOW IS DISCREPENCIES CONDIDERED AN EXTREME WORD ..
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Send PM
First, seeking answer without much inputs is worst way of preparing - you need to offer insight of your thoughts.

Going by what you just mentioned in that ONE sentence, it looks like you you are concluding based on a single word and how it is meant in general. That's wrong.

You need to understand the structure of the passage to understand how/why the keywords are used and their meaning to answer the question.

snehaaaa wrote:
In recent years much attention has been paid to distilling those
factors that create a positive work environment for corporate
employees. The goal ultimately is to discover what allows some
companies to foster high employee morale while other companies
struggle with poor productivity and high managerial turnover.
Several theories have been posited, but none has drawn as much
interest from the corporate world, or has as much promise, as
value congruence, which measures the “fit” between an
employee’s values and those of co-workers and the company
itself.
Value congruence can be broken into three main subcategories:
person-environment (“P-E”), person person (“P-P”), and
perceptual fit (“PF”). Person environment congruence refers to a
harmony between the personal values of the employee and
corporate culture of the company in which he or she works.
Someone with a high P-E congruence feels personally in tune with
his company’s stated policies and goals. Conversely, someone
with a low P-E congruence feels a sense of disharmony between
his own values and the stated policies and goals of his company. A
high P-P congruence indicates a sense of solidarity with one’s coworkers
in terms of shared values and goals. A low P-P
congruence indicates a sense of isolation from co-workers
brought about by an absence of shared values. Finally, strong PF
suggests a strong correspondence between the values that an
employee perceives his company to have (whether or not the
company actually does) and the values that his co-workers
perceive the company to have (again, whether or not it actually
does). A weak PF implies that an employee’s perception of his
company’s values differs significantly from that of his co-workers.
Research has shown that P-E and PF congruence are important
measures of employee satisfaction, commitment, and likelihood of
turnover, while P-P congruence has little bearing on these
parameters. Moreover, PF is especially important in establishing
harmonious relations between workers and managers. These
measures give corporations a robust paradigm for long-term
personnel planning and productivity potentials: they allow
companies to discover dysfunctional work relationships and
clarify misperceived company policies and goals. With these tools
in hand, companies can look forward to increased employee
satisfaction and, ultimately, improved company performance.
✸ a desire to minimize the liability of upper management for
employee dissatisfaction
success
I THINK IT SHOULD BE E BECAUSE THE PASSAGE INDIACTES THE LINE ITSELF AND ALSO HOW IS DISCREPENCIES CONDIDERED AN EXTREME WORD ..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can you explain the structure so that I can know where I am wrong.
Like can you share the mind map.
I would be so grateful

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
✸ a desire to minimize the liability of upper management foremployee dissatisfaction
success
and the values of its employees
I am little bit confused here...can you please explain me why E is not the answer ? And ig the E option is mentioned in the paragraph if I'm not wrong.

Would be great if you help me out

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quote:
✸ a desire to minimize the liability of upper management for employee dissatisfaction
success

I got confused between B & D. Ended up choosing D as it's mentioned in the passage that "The goal ultimately is to discover what allows some companies to foster high employee morale while other companies struggle with poor productivity and high managerial turnover. Now realised that it was the common goal for creating the system. But question asks the motivation behind the creation of value congruence. It may be interpreted from this line." Several theories have been posited, but none has drawn as much interest from the corporate world, or has as much promise, as value congruence, which measures the "fit" between an employee's values and those of co-workers and the company itself.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Send PM
snehaaaa wrote:
✸ a desire to minimize the liability of upper management foremployee dissatisfaction
success
I am little bit confused here...can you please explain me why E is not the answer ? And ig the E option is mentioned in the paragraph if I'm not wrong.

Would be great if you help me out

There are few good explanation above by experts. I have also faltered in this one as mentioned in my earlier post.
Go through them and explore your thoughts wrt your approach to this passage.

Then, still, if any doubts remain unsolved, come back.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
In recent years much attention has been paid to distilling those facto [#permalink]
hello expert,
the passage is very easy but the question is a little bit puzzled. In Q2, it asked: PF congruence would be MOST useful in determining...
I think, since both PE & PF involve "policies and goals", we should seek what PF is in special. As passage says: Moreover, PF is especially important in establishing harmonious relations between workers and managers, so I think we should seek an example which mentions "relations between workers and managers". So I think D speaks that.
Pls help to explain, and much thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts